Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

used car dealers!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• I wont buy from dealer - i buy all my cars either privately or more likely, through an auction - i take the view that i'd rather give a grand to get a car fixed to a mechanic rather than a dealers sky-rocket just to be the middle-man.

I don't normally either but I haven't had the best of luck privately either.

this is the first time I've bought a fairly new vehicle and spent a reasonable amount of money, so I guess I was hoping I might be lucky this time, not!
  • thanks for the input so far fellas.

I know it's a bit 'after the horse has bolted' but did you get an AA check before purchase? Something I'd strongly recommend next time. They can also do an independent check in this case.
    Also did you get an HPI check on the car?
  • my missus had a similar knocking sound on her car for a while and then the wishbone snapped, cost £1k to repair - might not be the same thing, but needs sorting

I know it's a bit 'after the horse has bolted' but did you get an AA check before purchase? Something I'd strongly recommend next time. They can also do an independent check in this case.
    Also did you get an HPI check on the car?
    I did speak to the a a at the time of purchase but as there was no indication of any problems then, so it didn't seem worth it, which kind of what they said too.

but I will give them a call as I'm a member, they might have some advice.

thanks for jogging my memory.
  • From now on, I will only buy nearly new from official main dealers.

Although if and when I move back to Blighty, I would consider all-in leasing where everything is paid in one payment and all you gotta do is put the squirt in
  • Surely the way forward is an electric car. No squirt needed then. Align it with a Powerwall and a charger and you get next to no cost motoring.
  • Surely the way forward is an electric car. No squirt needed then. Align it with a Powerwall and a charger and you get next to no cost motoring.

But could you really live with yourself?

• Huskaris said:

Surely the way forward is an electric car. No squirt needed then. Align it with a Powerwall and a charger and you get next to no cost motoring.

But could you really live with yourself?

If it was one of these with a 0-60 mph of 2.8 secs, then, in my case, yes I think I could!

• Apparently the best way to buy and sell to avoid shocking depreciation is from a main dealer, buy at 3 years old, sell at 5 years old. That way motoring is kept at a relatively even keel cost wise.
  • Sponsored links:

• update. this is the email i sent the dealership this morning

stuart

the noise has returned it began intermittently on the way home but is now pretty much constant.

this is getting very frustrating not least because of the need to come to maidstone every time, it isn’t convenient.

we can’t go on with this trial and error technique, there is a solution and you need to find it. i don’t believe you road test the vehicle sufficiently because if you did, you’d realise that the noise continues?

i’m going to speak to Nissan, the AA and my Insurance company, in the meantime perhaps you can give me your proposals to fix this problem once and for all, so we can both get on with our lives.

thanks

martin

and this was their response

" I have spoken to our service department who have in turn called Nissan. They have ordered for us all associated parts for the suspension on the corner concerned, these have an anticipated delivery date to us of weds 26th Aug. We will want the car for a couple of days so we can use it and road test. When can you drop the car to us next week, I will have a car for you to use whilst your one is here "

sounds promising and so it did on other occasions, i'll let you know.

thanks for the usual mixture of serious and piss take comments.
  • They are sure it is suspension?
    Some of the suggestions on here suggest other problems, might be worth emailing them and asking what if it isn't a suspension problem but...and then list all the other potential problems.
  • Good luck with getting this finally sorted, sillav nitram!
    Bought my first car earlier this month, and honestly, I'm frightened of something going wrong with it and having to go through all the nonsense you're currently going through.

I therefore have 0 advice, but I hope they're able to fix it.
  • On a slight aside, if anyone lives in kent specifically medway and are worried about getting bent over by some shysters in a garage then send me a private message and ill hook you up with a mate of mine who'll do a charlton discount. He's based in Rochester and is a fantastic mechanic and very decent person. Of course you can also go direct to him the place is called MSY servicing and is bang opposite where rochester police station used to be
  • edited August 2015
    seth plum said:

They are sure it is suspension?
    Some of the suggestions on here suggest other problems, might be worth emailing them and asking what if it isn't a suspension problem but...and then list all the other potential problems.

By their response, my guess would be that they know it's the suspension but were trying to wriggle out of what will be a fairly expensive fix.
  • edited August 2015
    99% of all warranties are useless
    Small print:
    Mechanical breakdown of parts ie actual broken part part not a worn or noisy part
    That's their loophole to wrangle out of every claim
    Better to tackle the dealer direct
    I hate dealers but they are just middle men who just tart the car up then just sell on for a profit
    They have no idea about cars history they either trade ins or brought from auction.
    Better to buy private and make ur own mind up whether it's been looks after/sevice
    Take as long as u need to test drive etc
    If in doubt walk away plenty more out there
  • seth plum said:

They are sure it is suspension?

I've sent an email to Nissan myself Seth outlining the problem. I'm hoping they come back with possible things to check. I'll then forward this to the dealer.
  • The biggest hold over the dealer is not so much the exact mechanical problem, but wilfully misleading about who the warranty was with.
  • seth plum said:

The biggest hold over the dealer is not so much the exact mechanical problem, but wilfully misleading about who the warranty was with.

yes that's what I hope to use, if this starts dragging on much longer!
  • 99% of all warranties are useless
    Small print:
    Mechanical breakdown of parts ie actual broken part part not a worn or noisy part
    I hate dealers but they are just middle men who just tart the car up then just sell on for a profit
    They have no idea about cars history they either trade ins or brought from auction.
    Better to buy private and make ur own mind up whether it's been looks after/sevice

This,this and this.
    As I said earlier, I'd rather spend a grand for a mechanic to fix it, than put a grand in a dealers sky-rocket for doing nothing other than have it polished- and most of the times I've bought from private or auction i would say that I've only ever had a problem with prob 1 in 4 cars. No brainer - why do you keep giving money to dealers ?? makes no sense at all to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm going through the same process at the moment with a used car I purchased a few months ago. Rather than going through their third party warranty company (which doesn't cover everything), I returned it under the sale of goods act and demanded a repair or refund. They've spun me a load of bs but are now getting it sorted.

I'll never trust another small dealer again, if I had my chance again I'd lease.

Small print:

This,this and this.
    As I said earlier, I'd rather spend a grand for a mechanic to fix it, than put a grand in a dealers sky-rocket for doing nothing other than have it polished- and most of the times I've bought from private or auction i would say that I've only ever had a problem with prob 1 in 4 cars. No brainer - why do you keep giving money to dealers ?? makes no sense at all to me.
    I haven't got any choice! I'm in this now and need to resolve the problem.
  • Lurker said:

I'm going through the same process at the moment with a used car I purchased a few months ago. Rather than going through their third party warranty company (which doesn't cover everything), I returned it under the sale of goods act and demanded a repair or refund. They've spun me a load of bs but are now getting it sorted.

I'll never trust another small dealer again, if I had my chance again I'd lease.

same here!

just in case anyone knows them, the dealership is, steve sargent cars, maidstone.

Small print:

This,this and this.
    I haven't got any choice! I'm in this now and need to resolve the problem.
    Wasnt directly aimed at you or your problem. Just a general rant at everyone. I really cant understand the logic of buying from a dealer - to me, it makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Lurker said:

I'm going through the same process at the moment with a used car I purchased a few months ago. Rather than going through their third party warranty company (which doesn't cover everything), I returned it under the sale of goods act and demanded a repair or refund. They've spun me a load of bs but are now getting it sorted.

same here!

just in case anyone knows them, the dealership is, steve sargent cars, maidstone.
    Is that the one at top of hill on the left??
    If so nearly brought an a4 sline from them a while back! But was put off I'll say no more
  • Lurker said:

same here!

Is that the one at top of hill on the left??
    If so nearly brought an a4 sline from them a while back! But was put off I'll say no more
    they are up a hill on the left on the loose rd.
  • My neighbour has a Tesla - black one, same as in the photo - beautiful car.
    I wonder what the depreciation will be like in the future for (electric) cars like that? An interesting observation from the Formula E race this year is that they believe that within 3 years battery technology will have advanced enough so that they will be able to complete the race with one car (currently have to change car mid-race coz they dont have enough charge to last the full race).
    I wonder what the depreciation will be like in the future for (electric) cars like that? An interesting observation from the Formula E race this year is that they believe that within 3 years battery technology will have advanced enough so that they will be able to complete the race with one car (currently have to change car mid-race coz they dont have enough charge to last the full race).

Well, Tesla are guaranteeing trade in will be "best in class". Here's what their web site says: Tesla’s Resale Value Guarantee.... is equal to 50% of the original base purchase price of the 70 kWh Model S plus 43% of the original purchase price for all of the options, including the upgrade to the 85 kWh battery pack (inclusive of VAT and exclusive of taxes, delivery fees, registration fees and accessories).

There's also an 8 year battery warranty and depending what model you specify, the range is claimed to be over 300 miles which is pretty good. (I bet it's nowhere near that with the aircon, etc on though.)

I think plug-in hybrids are likely to be more popular than pure electric vehicles - certainly for the forseeable future until charging point networks, speed of charge and range are greatly improved. I've got one on order with 49g/km emissions and 130 mpg - both claimed figures but not realistic in real world driving. Pure electric range of 25 miles will in theory get me to work but with a powerful petrol engine in reserve I won't have an issue with the battery running out and leaving me stranded.
  • problem solved. been driving car for a week and no noise.

turned out to be the alternator belt. unbelievable agro for something in the end quite simple.

makes me inclined to think they really didn't properly investigate in the first place or just simply their mechanic knows nothing about cars or maybe both!