Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull | Sat 22 Aug | KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited August 2015 in General Charlton

The ‘wordy’ intro bit

It all seems to be going swimmingly well, doesn’t it?

A plump pair of impressive home performances have been followed by a cuddly couple of resilient draws on the road. And the jaunt to Nottingham could easily have yielded so much more. Five points from what was identified as a very tricky opening trio? Yep, that’s going in my basket thank you very much.

But what is that a bell I hear on yonder? The gentle chimes of caution? Just as we were getting nice and settled the cavaeting tolls of ‘injuries’ and ‘the squad is bloody thin’ seem to be ringing at the end of the driveway. They haven’t made their way up to the front door yet, but Hull will be hoping to take full advantage in Saturday’s trip to The Valley.

The Bit About Us

It is testament to Guy Luzon and his coaching team’s preparation that despite some summer upheaval and new arrivals, Charlton have been performing as an incredibly settled and organised outfit. The gamble to put faith in Nick Pope in goal when Number One keeper Henderson was ruled out for a month so far appears to be paying dividends. In front of him, a very settled back four have been boosted by the arrival of Patrick Bauer. The big German centre half could not have had a more impressive introduction to the Football League, and has now picked up back-to-back MoM awards from our Statbank.

It has been suggested that Solly is carrying a knock and doubtful to feature. This would be a blow in a position that Charlton are exposed in cover, but my suspicion is he will be lining up in an unnamed back four on Saturday. If not, Regan Charles-Cook is likely to deputise. Whether the promising 18-year old is ready for Championship football yet is questionable, and given Gudmundsson’s strength in front of him is firmly in the offensive rather than retreat, this would be an area Hull are likely to target.

In midfield, I suspect we’ll see a return to the midfield that started the season versus QPR; Ba promoted back to a central berth, Cousins pushed into a narrow left position. The Corner Kid Ceballos is likely to drop to the bench, or possibly feature in the hole if Watt fails to shake off his troubles and Luzon doesn’t choose to go with young Ahearne-Grant. Big Mak will remain the target man up top, and will desperately be hoping to open his account.

The Bit About That Lot

Hull have adapted well back to life in the Championship. No hangover in evidence, and like the Addicks remain unbeaten after three games. Huddersfield and Fulham have been dispatched at home, while a point at Wolves was matching of the Addicks return at Derby.

Their strength is their spine; the central defensive pairing of Curtis Davies and Michael Turner have impressed in the opening games, Tom Huddlestone provides good foil in front of them, and up top Jelavic and Akpom provide different options. Like QPR, they possess in their ranks a number of players a class above Championship level, but unlike Rangers, Hull seem potentially better equipped in kneading those players into a team.

Like us, Hull’s favoured formation is a straight 4-4-2, with Aluko wide left pushing forward to make a front three, or Sam Clucus employed there to provide a more balanced midfield four.

The ‘I Pissin’ Hate Selhurst’ Memory Lane Bit

With the two most recent encounters spawning draws, it is 25 years since we last beat Hull in a home fixture. But it wasn’t at The Valley, it was in our last season at Selhurst and just 4,989 bothered to negotiate the South Circular on the last Saturday before Christmas. Charlton came from a goal down to run out 2-1 winners, thanks to a winner from Robert Lee. Fortunately the Selhurst era only had another four months to ride out. Most notable aspect however was referee Burge coming from the splendidly named Tonypandy.

Charlton: Bolder, Pitcher, Minto, Peake, Balmer, Caton, R Lee, Curbishley, Dyer, Watson, Mortimer
Hull: Hesford, Hockaday, Thompson, Waites, Buckley, Warren, Roberts, Payton, Swan, Palin, Jenkinson

The Prediction Bit that always comes at the end

Another decent game potentially on offer at The Valley. Hull are strongly fancied by many to feature in the promotion race, and will come to The Valley organised and confident of securing the win. Much will depend on whether Watt is fit enough to feature; if he makes it it may still prove beneficial if he reverted to his QPR role of changing the game from the bench rather than a starting berth.

Without the danger man Charlton will have to adopt a general more offensive approach rather than encouraging on the opposition and hoping to capitalise on the break. If he fails to make, it will be interesting to see how we approach the game without him.

Strong possibility here that both teams come away from the game maintaining their unbeaten records. I don’t think anyone will be too disappointed with that.

Charlton 1 Hull 1

Comments

• Options
    Sorry a bit late nightmare day :-(
  • Options
    Good write up. It's going to be tough, I suspect Watt will play some role and maybe a repeat performance of QPR?
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    I hope watt is fit to make an appearance. A player who has something else if he thinks he is going to get the the home fans bouncing with his chant I reckon. Ole etc
  • Options
    nice one AFKA agree 1-1
  • Options
    Bergdich for ceballos. 1-0 win, last ten minutes hanging on for dear life
  • Options
    Apparently due to engineering works there is a bus service between Slade Green & Plumstead on Saturday.
  • Options
    I expect Hull to be tough and organised, with the extra element of class referred to in AKFA's review.

I see from the BBC site that Bruce has been wittering on about them being "powerless" to avoid losing Huddlestone if another club meets the buy-out clause in his contract and that they'll be "goosed" if they lose 4 or 5 players to the Premier League before the window shuts. I suspect that much of this is for the benefit of Hull's absentee owner, particularly if Bruce feels there is a chance of resurrecting the Andre Gray deal (at a lower fee than Bristol City were prepared to pay obviously). If, however, there are to be approaches for any of Hull's better players, I wish the Premier League clubs and the relevant agents would get their respective digits out and unsettle them in the next 24 hours ! We could do with things being evened up a bit resource-wise after Forest's incessant clogging (I have never have like Freedman and not just because he's ex-Palace).
  • Options
    edited August 2015

an unnamed back four

Are those rumours back about Craig NoOne?
  • Options
    No Watt = no goals but another strong defensive display from our non goal scoring striker Big Mak

0-1 to 'ull
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-1 seems the obvious bet
  • Options
    Oohaah, you really don't like makienok do you?

See where you are coming from but hope you are wrong. I'm not sure this is allowed but I would bet £10 a goal either side of 10.
  • Options
    Don't fancy us without Watt or Solly.

Charlton 0-1 Hull
  • Options
    !-1
  • Options
    No strikers = no goals. 0-2 & Hull go top............
  • Options
    Golfie, super Mak or JBG can score and they might. Stay positive!
  • Options
    Yep, can't see us scoring. 0-2 to ull...

Potato face twat will be as smug as a c*&t
  • Options
    five nil Hull
  • Options
    Pope
    Sarr Bauer Diarra Fox
    JBG Ba Kashi Cousins
    Ceballos
    Makienok

Cousins to move in and Ceballos out to the left when defending, Sarr to play right back and surprise everyone, 1-0 win goal from a corner (Bauer or Makienok)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would love a 1-0 win (big mak) but I can't be too disappointed if we get another draw. With that said, for confidence reasons, and to make sure the fans don't go mental, we really could do with a win against Hull or Wolves. Will be tough if Watt and Solly don't go, but the squad will
    Still be strong enough without them. The bench may be another story. Door closes in a couple weeks so we need a couple more bodies
  • Options

Oohaah, you really don't like makienok do you?

See where you are coming from but hope you are wrong. I'm not sure this is allowed but I would bet £10 a goal either side of 10.

It's not that I don't like him but on the limited game time I've seen I don't believe he has that many goals in him and that's not to say he can't do a job as a sub/plan B
    and he may have the fitness that our strikers don't have so will receive plenty of game time
    Already he has assisted in plenty of goals this season and defensively done well in the air and justifies his position in the team definitely atm

I would have a £10 charity bet for Upbeats that Big Mak will not score more than ten league goals (excluding penalties)

• Options
    Can't see us winning this one 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    we sneak a 1-0 win, team spirit is very good and squad players coming in have a chance to prove themselves. If there is a stream I'll be watching this one, if not match thread from 2 pm
  • Options
    Good shout. £10 charity bet for Upbeats where you pay if 11 or more and me if 10 or less league goals (excluding pens) for makienok this season.
  • Options
    Agreed and hope you win by Christmas !
  • Options

Comfortable home win 4-0.

I'll eat my kilt.
  • Options
    Perhaps a good shout above re Sarr to play RB. RCC has a lot of potential but I don't think at RB, especially playing behind JBG.

First defeat of the season but a close game.
  • Options
    @Happy Valley

Planned engineering work will take place.
    Between Plumstead and Slade Green
    From 01:15, Saturday 22 August 2015 to 04:00, Monday 24 August 2015.
    Some services will be replaced by buses between Plumstead and Dartford.

Additional Information:
    London Cannon Street/Gillingham services (all trains are running to and from London Cannon Street this weekend) are diverted between Blackheath and Dartford calling additionally at Eltham and Bexleyheath.
    As a result of this work, there are no train services operating between Blackheath and Charlton. Passengers who wish to make this journey can do so via Docklands Light Railway (DLR) between Lewisham and Greenwich. Valid train tickets will be accepted on the DLR in either direction between Lewisham and Greenwich.

IMPORTANT: Due to road works in the Slade Green area on Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 August, buses will be unable to call at the usual rail replacement bus stops on Whitehall Lane for Slade Green station.
    Instead, replacement buses this weekend, in both directions, will call at 'Stop A' outside the main entrance of Slade Green station on Forest Road, The nature of the diversion, may unfortunately, cause some buses to run later than booked.

Last Updated:19/08/2015 10:32