Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dismaland.

I know diddly about art but I think this is a brilliantly funny, thought provoking exhibition parodying consumerism in society...

thisiscolossal.com/2015/08/dismaland/

...or is it a triumph of marketing over substance?

Comments

• Options
    It's hard to answer your question without going, but as a big Banksy fan I'd love to go.
  • Options
    I'd like to see Sleaford Mods there.

Ideal venue for their style of music.
  • Options
    Saw it on the news last night. I though the funniest thing was that it is in Weston-super-mare. Loved the model village.
  • Options

Looks interesting, will go if possible (short time frame may make this tricky).
  • Options

Saw it on the news last night. I though the funniest thing was that it is in Weston-super-mare. Loved the model village.

I have a fondness for Weston as I spent a lot of time there years ago, and it has had some money thrown at smartening it up but it's fair to say Dismaland is a very good fit for the town.
  • Options
    Looks fantastic. If I were in the UK I would be there like a shot!
  • Options
    Banksy used to be cool when he was doing graffiti with a message behind it. Now he's too mainstream and opening his own exhibit about consumerism which you then have to pay to see doesn't really sit with me
  • Options
    Banksy used to be cool when he was doing graffiti with a message behind it. Now he's too mainstream and opening his own exhibit about consumerism which you then have to pay to see doesn't really sit with me
  • Options
    Bit hipster that Sam.

Think it looks interesting, wont be arsed to make the effort though
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    sam3110 said:

£3.50 I believe it is for a ticket. And out of interest what do you think is 'uncool' or mainstream about this compared to his other work?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It has stewards to protect the work who need to be paid and also the land has to be paid for. Read the link, look at the pictures, the messages are still there.
  • Options
    I fear my opinions of Banksy are fairly similar to Fiiish's. Ruining my lefty cred I know. Bye!
  • Options
    To be honest I couldn't give a tuppenny fig about Banksy most of the time. This looks pretty funny though.
  • Options
    Caught the back end of this and as a Banksy fan will look at going to this.

I like the idea of a 'riot' taking placing in the model village lol.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

£3.50 I believe it is for a ticket. And out of interest what do you think is 'uncool' or mainstream about this compared to his other work?
    I just think the allure of stumbling across an original banksy tucked away on a back road in London has been lost, the entire point of graffiti art is that's its somewhere its not really meant to be, having a designated space for it just seems weird. Don't get me wrong I think he is a wonderful artist and some of the pieces he has made are poignant and funny, but I think the huge exposure stuff like this gives him reduces the impact of each message
  • Options

Caught the back end of this and as a Banksy fan will look at going to this.

I like the idea of a 'riot' taking placing in the model village lol.

Suspect the artist involved was influenced by the Chapman Brothers.
  • Options
    Great big art. Loved the migrants packed into biscuit tins boats heading for Dismaland.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

sam3110 said:

I just think the allure of stumbling across an original banksy tucked away on a back road in London has been lost, the entire point of graffiti art is that's its somewhere its not really meant to be, having a designated space for it just seems weird. Don't get me wrong I think he is a wonderful artist and some of the pieces he has made are poignant and funny, but I think the huge exposure stuff like this gives him reduces the impact of each message
    Most of the exhibits/installations are not by him, he is more of the curator/creator from what I understand, Sam.
  • Options
    Graffiti is great both as an artform and a sociological phenomenon, but Banksy is a shit, shit artist and a self-mythologising dickhead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are you Banksy?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Graffiti is great both as an artform and a sociological phenomenon, but Banksy is a shit, shit artist and a self-mythologising dickhead.

No he's not.
  • Options
    No need for this as there's already a bizarre family attraction in the area - Watermouth Castle. Very odd, quaint and strangely crazily British!
  • Options
    Thought this was another millwall thread
  • Options
    Dismaland - Just a complete piss take!
  • Options
    Exactly...
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Name a better graffiti artist we might have heard of.

• Options
    That 'Known' guy who put his signature up across SE London during the 1990s. I'd always get very excited when I saw a new one of his
  • Options
    …and he's better precisely because he doesn't make these thudding heavy-handed political points - it's an exercise in geographical reclamation, in assertion of one's presence in urban space
  • Options
    Leuth said:

That 'Known' guy who put his signature up across SE London during the 1990s. I'd always get very excited when I saw a new one of his

A tag then; I wonder what became of him?