Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should the Washington Redskins be compelled to change their name?

Should the team that represents the US capital city in America's most popular sport be required to change their name, since the word "Redskins" is seen as both pejorative and offensive to native Americans?

Comments

• This is a touchy issue. Because If they do this, then the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves and countless Colleges and High Schools will also need to change their mascots. Would create a huge controversy. However I do see where they are coming from
  • Chizz said:

Should the team that represents the US capital city in America's most popular sport be required to change their name, since the word "Redskins" is seen as both pejorative and offensive to native Americans?

What to though? And why hasn't anyone bothered to say something about it beforehand? Are people outraged for other peoples sake, or I'd there actually a large amount of Native Americans clamouring for change?

Someone online posted saying they would have changed their name ages ago if they were known as the "Washington N****rs", but I see it as a positive, an entire football team named after a noble people, and their cry of "Hail To The Redskins" a proclamation of goodwill and support
  • Tough call. I'm a 'skins fan, and they love the nickname in DC (even though they now play in MD!).

While I understand the local indigenous population get a bit upset about it - it is a derogatory term according to them - it does have such a history that would be folly IMO to dispense with.

Also, it's not quite the same as with the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves etc, as these nicknames are not deemed to be derogatory.

A very touchy subject especially as skin colour is in the news negatively so much Stateside at present.
  • edited August 2015
    Yes not derogatory towards the Native Americans but still named after the same topic, just different wording. But I feel that if the Redskins had to change, there would be people calling for the others to be changed
  • Here comes the PC brigade ;)

It is actually pretty bad, certainly would not be tolerated if it referred to one of the other races in the USA. Think at some point they will need/be forced to either change their name, or change their logo to a peanut (since red skinned peanuts are actually a thing).
  • So do we change it to, Washington:
    Natives?
    Indigenous peoples?
    Cherokees?
    Apaches?
    Indians?
    Tribesmen?
    Amerinds?
  • edited August 2015

Can we get NE patriots to change their name to more appropriate filthy cheating bastards.

Masterdeflators?
  • Can we get NE patriots to change their name to more appropriate filthy cheating bastards.

Or change the name to New England Win? It's the name the media use already anyway but there you go...
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

What to though? And why hasn't anyone bothered to say something about it beforehand? Are people outraged for other peoples sake, or I'd there actually a large amount of Native Americans clamouring for change?

People have said something about it before hand, this isn't a new debate, it's been going on for years in America. It's probably only made international news now because those campaigning for change actually think they have a chance of winning soon.

Varies societies and organisations have passed resolutions calling for a name change since 1999, and the controversy surrounding the name goes back a lot further than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy
  • I am in Cambridge MD at the moment. Loads of Redskins fans at breakfast and they think it will never happen.
  • There has been a clamour for the last 10-20 years, and in all honesty, it does seem to arise each August, just as the new NFL season is about to start. I doubt the Redskins will win anything this year, so it will slowly quieten down, and then once more be resurrected next August...
  • sam3110 said:

So do we change it to, Washington:
    Natives?
    Indigenous peoples?
    Cherokees?
    Apaches?
    Indians?
    Tribesmen?
    Amerinds?

Change it to Washington State to really confuse people
  • Or how about Washington, George
  • sam3110 said:

So do we change it to, Washington:
    Natives?
    Indigenous peoples?
    Cherokees?
    Apaches?
    Indians?
    Tribesmen?
    Amerinds?

Change it to Washington State to really confuse people
    Especially the Americans.
  • Washington Dryingkilo.
  • Is "redskin" considered a derogatory term for a Native American ? I wouldn't have a problem with a team being called "white skins" because that word isn't really used as a pejorative but I'd imagine my experiences as a white man growing up in England is different to a Native American growing up in America so it's difficult for me to put myself in their shoes and form an educated opinion on the subject.

If it's a an offensive term then they should probably change it, times change and society needs to change with them.
  • Redskins is a racial epithet, and as such can be considered derogatory.
  • Sponsored links:

• I sort of support them but yes, if the people who the name refers to consider it offense (which well it clearly is) then it should be changed. Using a derogatory name about a group of people is clearly a bigger issue than a sports team losing a bit of their history.
  • Pedro45 said:

Redskins is a racial epithet, and as such can be considered derogatory.

Then it should be changed.
  • se9addick said:

Is "redskin" considered a derogatory term for a Native American ? I wouldn't have a problem with a team being called "white skins" because that word isn't really used as a pejorative but I'd imagine my experiences as a white man growing up in England is different to a Native American growing up in America so it's difficult for me to put myself in their shoes and form an educated opinion on the subject.

If it's a an offensive term then they should probably change it, times change and society needs to change with them.

"...the term “redskins” has origins in the Phips Proclamation of 1755, which declared a war against all Native Americans in the Massachusetts colonies. Rewards were allotted for the scalps of Native American men, women, and children. The bloody scalps were termed “redskins.”"

http://firstpeoples.org/wp/controversy-heats-up-over-washington-redskins-racially-insensitive-name/
  • se9addick said:

Is "redskin" considered a derogatory term for a Native American ? I wouldn't have a problem with a team being called "white skins" because that word isn't really used as a pejorative but I'd imagine my experiences as a white man growing up in England is different to a Native American growing up in America so it's difficult for me to put myself in their shoes and form an educated opinion on the subject.

"...the term “redskins” has origins in the Phips Proclamation of 1755, which declared a war against all Native Americans in the Massachusetts colonies. Rewards were allotted for the scalps of Native American men, women, and children. The bloody scalps were termed “redskins.”"

http://firstpeoples.org/wp/controversy-heats-up-over-washington-redskins-racially-insensitive-name/
    Pretty offensive then
  • se9addick said:

Yeah that's not on.
  • edited August 2015
    When i was a kid, the Native Americans were Portrayed as the bad guys.
    and the white man who talked with forked tongue were the good guys.
    Then soldier Blue came along and Intellectual heavy weights like myself,
    who left school still on Janet and John book 2 realised that the perception was so wrong. The NA had been shafted big time and maybe the mix of Europeans who settled in the US of A and thought of themselves as movers and shakers ?
    Or Quakers; religious society of friends as we like to think of them now,
    were just looking out for Number 1.

The native American population now is so small that,
    do we know what they think or have they assimilated into the main stream.
    That question is for that young chap over there ?
    Just across the water ?
    Rossman92
  • Does the team I play for, The Guildford Gypos, need to change name as well ?

• The origins of the word Redskins may be offensive to to Native Americans, but the usage in this situation refers to their strength, fighting spirit, and bravery and as something to be proud of. The teams logo is a picture of a Native American and is not being used derogatorily.
  • PL54 said:

Does the team I play for, The Guildford Gypos, need to change name as well ?

I would think so as Guildford is just so Surrey.