Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should the Washington Redskins be compelled to change their name?

124»

Comments

• Options

Genuine question, just so we can get an idea of parameters. If we get really hot weather in late September/early October time, will your friend have any objection to references to an 'Indian Summer'?

That's Indian as India not Indiana
  • Options

Genuine question, just so we can get an idea of parameters. If we get really hot weather in late September/early October time, will your friend have any objection to references to an 'Indian Summer'?

No, the word "Indian" when describing climatic conditions isn't offensive. Using a racial pejorative is - quite an easy distinction.
  • Options
    John Oliver covered it pretty well on Last Week Night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sj_7ZPpA_U

"i had no idea you had an ancient 8 decade history - you are clearly a proud people who have suffered greatly"
  • Options

I don't have the first intention of asking her.
  • Options

I presume that the terminology refers to the country of that name, not Native Americans
  • Options
    So.. the reason the native Americans were called Red Indians/skins by the English settlers is because of the red body paint they wore. Made from the root Pocone mixed with oil.
  • Options

I just can't understand why people are so indignant that they are being asked to change such a small unimportant thing in their lives that they have been asked to do because it offends some people. I doubt any of us would go out of our way to cause offence in our daily lives. In fact if we found out we were unknowingly doing so we would be mortified.

Unfortunately as Charlton fans we are not in a strong position on this matter.
    Our very own officially endorsed gay group was delighted to attend the recent pride march knowing full well it openly discriminated against
    UKIP.
    Proud valiants didn't care they supporting this event would be very offensive to the four million UKIP voters.
    I suggest we deal with our own supporters ability to offend before we worry about overseas sports teams. Was
    On the other hand, you could stick to posting something about the actual thread. For example, do you think the Washington Redskins should be compelled to change their name?