Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RD must risk breaking golden rule/Luzon must play long game

2»

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:

razil said:

So buying players isnt resourcing your company?

It may be a semantic argument but resourcing is providing resource from revenue spend allowing you to operate. In a football context, buying players is akin to capital investment and like any capital investment it should be accompanied with a pay-off statement.

In a manufacturing industry for example that's relatively straightforward because costs of plant and machinery can be justified by unit costs of manufacture and strength of order book. The problem with players is that there's no easy way to define a pay-off statement other than if we get promotion it pays-off - if we don't get promotion it doesn't. So buying players is not resourcing, it's gambling or at best a highly speculative investment.
    That's the point I was trying to make but you make it far better than I !
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    se9addick said:

razil said:

Who's panicking?

I'm afraid unless clubs break even, SKY and ffp have mad sure that won't happen, there really is little point in flushing 5mil down the drain unless youre a fan and he isnt.

If you dont resource your company properly because of and ideological policy it wall fail, as shown last season. If you don't have much cash, and are propping the club up for love or having to sell players to survive fair enough. But if you have a lot of dough there really is little point in standing still for years. Waste of time and money.

I don’t think we’ll get promoted this year, but I’m happy so long as we progress both on and off the pitch – I’m in it for the long haul and I don’t need Premier League football next season, nor would I risk the future of the club on chasing it.
    This. Personally, I'd happily invest in the upgrade of the youth set-up and consolidate with incremental progress for a good few years. I find what's happened to the likes of Portsmouth frightening, and would hate for the club to find themselves in that situation. Surely it wasn't that long ago since Charlton actually were in that situation. Early 80s wasn't it; Charlton in administration?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    We are about to play our 5th league game of the season. It's been a great start against some fancied teams but that is all it is at the moment. I doubt any of the sides we have played have hit their straps yet. There are reasonable grounds for optimism for the rest of the campaign.

I agree that we have signed some real quality. I am also sure that the squad is a little thin even if the youngsters can make that better to some extent.

I have always been reasonably sure of RD's intention for his investment - grow it's value and then sell for a significant return. This seems to be what he did at SL - also taking back the loans he made put in working capital after he made his initial investment.

The network just gives him a chance to scout efficiently (if they are any good) and shuffle player and coaching assets around in a way that may be more efficient.

At present it seems to me that he sees us as the biggest opportunity amongst his clubs to make the biggest return

- we have a really strong academy set up in coaching terms for players both to reach the first team and to be sold on

- we have a golden ticket to the richest league in the world

- we are based in one of the world greatest cities with a massive catchment area potential

- the showcasing of talent in the league below the richest in the world can tempt bids for players at a level you may not see elsewhere in Europe. An example might be Bauer. A players of massive ability but it seems way off the radar. So the investment in him may yield a huge return in a season or so if we failed to reach the promised land.

I believe that explains the obvious up scaling of the quality of player aquistion this season.

I feel that Razil correctly assesses RDs cautious approach. He could be throwning more money at it. I feel that he won't ever go too gung ho - this season or at any other time. He and KM will continue to look for players who's value they can enhance be they imports or home grown. At the same time building the infrastructure of the club.

Football - British in particular, is littered with owners and investors who have crashed and burned. Yes he is a rich man. My gut feel is that his richesse is asset based rather than cash based unlike the real financial mega rich who own some of our other clubs.

I would love to see an even stronger squad but so far so goo, but not at any price and certainly not at a Pompey price.
  • Options
    I completely get the argument of spending more money to not lose 5 million plus losses a season, what i'd not be happy with is a load of money spent on a load of duff players, a la Alan Pardew.

I've no idea where we are going to end up this season, which makes it exciting i guess, i think we're in a stronger place than we were 12 months ago, as long as we see progress each season i'm happy.
  • Options
    More than happy with how everything is being conducted on and off the pitch. Apart from the gutless performance by the players v Norwich at home last season, I always have been.

I remember when we were in the brown stuff when Riga had just taken over. A small article on the BBC from Richard Murray saying we need to survive because the scouting network and plans RD have are perfect for us. Since then we have replaced alot of players with better quality and developed alot in terms of pitch, academy etc.

Don't gamble, why should we? It is about taking those steps further each season. You cant build everything straight away and expect it to stick. Look at QPR, a mess. Do it the right way.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

I think our result against Hull last week shows our squad is a lot stronger than people think, chicago addick had a little dig on twitter before the game at RD about the squad, but didn't have much to say after the result. People far too quick to have a dig, how many people expecting the result at Peterborough given the side that played.

The second sentence I agree with... but the first, not so much. It's very early in the season, the players are all fresh, Hull are suffering from a post-Prem hangover and bar an offside decision and a VERY late goal it would have been one point or even none whatsoever. It was a good performance and a good win but not exactly a resounding victory despite the good result. Once the season drags on and we pick up injuries or players just get tired (and they will) that kind of game we could very easily lose. The squad IS still pretty shallow. Let's not let a slightly fortuitous if extremely enjoyable win fool us into thinking everything's sunshine and rainbows - remember we had good results at the start of last season too and look what happened there...
    Mate we totally dominated Hull for 60+ minutes, and should of been 2 or 3 up before Hull even got a sniff of an equaliser.
  • Options
    You're talking about it being a company - well if a company is performing well you dont go and change the core philosophies! It's working, Luzon is turning out to be a class act, we've got some great little players and we're playing decent football.

Only thing I agree with you on is that we need a couple more players. RB/CB cover is the main one for me, and a winger.

Target should be to be in or around the playoffs this season. If we miss them we shouldnt worry too much though as the team is young and mostly on longer contracts.

It's exciting at the moment, stop worrying and enjoy!
  • Options
    I make Bing right about Bauer and others that the £5m is going on. The revised model is get them on a long enough contract and sell at a profit if you get it right and they prove themselves without getting us into the PL (the Promised Land). If we ever make it there then that starts a whole new phase that surely must end in a sale of the whole club because it will be hard as hell to withdraw sky money without,at best, dogs abuse and if we are in the PL we can't sell the Bauers without replacing at similar cost.
  • Options
    Every team has an injury crisis during a season (unless they're really lucky). It could be argued that Hull was ours. Missing Henderson, Igor, Watt and Solly (plus Jacko, Reza and the mythical Moussa) that's the sort of injury list that would be a good excuse for a defeat. It's possible that the Hull game could be the worst injury situation of the season...
  • Options
    No ones worried, the proposition is what would it take to finish top six.

As for football fans saying buy more players, well ok Ronaldo and Messi pls, no? Of course we aren't saying that. What we are saying is we've thrown the cards up in the air and here are the areas of weakness.

Budgets, wages, and squad sizes are arbitrary. If they are made up to suit a theory it may be too dogmatic/rigid and it will fail.

I agree that quality level has improved, I also think its entirely possible that the budget etc has been teased upwards.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The new intelligent way as personified by Southampton, is to carefully define and identify what you need and match it up. If you can't find a match within your budget you don't buy, you wait. Splashing the cash in the belief that money alone can buy results is proven time and again to be flawed.

As already said, we are in it for the long run.
  • Options
    and meanwhile your money is pouring down the drain, I think there is a middle way, too far one way or the other is daft. RD has shown or so we believe that players can be picked up at the right prices, its the number of them that is up for debate.
  • Options
    For me the way Charlton has played in the previous seasons, playing well against stronger teams and struggling to beat weaker (on paper) teams hasn't been tested yet with this squad, the month ahead has a few "weak" teams and let's see where we are at the end of Sept before raising our hopes...
  • Options
    Personally, I'm more than happy for RD to spend all his money on Charlton if that's what he wants, but I don't think it makes very prudent business sense changing your approach after one successful month. Sure it would be nice to have a couple of extra faces in the squad, but I don't think it would serve Roland too well to have loads of extra experience sitting around as it would diminish any shop window opportunities for selling young academy talent.
  • Options
    I would much rather have a squad a little thin in one or two areas, than a large squad full of talented, overpaid, undedicated and under performing misfits such as we had under Pardew. Being slightly under resourced can often help foster team spirit and bring out the best in the squad. It also of course gives youngsters the chance to shine as they did v Peterborough. It's a fine line to tread, too many injuries and suspensions can eventually lead to dejection and a string of poor results, a few short term injuries can lead to the kind of performance we saw against Hull, full of fight and determination. I'd be very happy if we were still riding high in January, to bolster the squad at that stage to really push for promotion.
  • Options

I wouldn't care if we play in the conference as long as RD still owns us and KM is still in charge and Luzon the mgr as I love them all so much

Should this post be in the 'beer with a straw' thread?
    Or are you suffering from spending the night in the car?
    ;-)
  • Options
    Both and the fact I love that we worry about worrying
  • Options
    I hope we make the play offs. We have a very good young team and when we go up, this year or next I want them to be ready.
  • Options
    I think I'll stick to putting up fences in future..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

For me the way Charlton has played in the previous seasons, playing well against stronger teams and struggling to beat weaker (on paper) teams hasn't been tested yet with this squad, the month ahead has a few "weak" teams and let's see where we are at the end of Sept before raising our hopes...

@silentaddick So it's YOUR fault, you Jonah! :wink: