Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Customer Service - A thing of the past

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:

Remember the good old days when it took months to get a phone installed (kids, ask your grandparents), banks would only give you one cheque book etc etc.

A lot of businesses are a lot better, some are still terrible.

What's a cheque book, granddad?
    Someone call? It's full of cheques you know those paper things, a negotiable instrument a bit like a Bill of Exchange which contains an unconditional order, drawn on a banker, directing to pay a certain sum of money to the person whose name is specified on the instrument. Hope this helps :wink:
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Nobody cares anymore, in my experiance Halfords are hard to beat as giving worst customer service, they completely f**ked up my sons car at one of their service centres and couldn't give a shit.

Only way they came to table was when he got a solicitors letter sent to them.

Absolute cu**s particularly their directors who didn't even answer correspondence hope the company goes bust, they deserve it.
  • Options
    Hope not. Or the local chavs will have nowhere to buy steal their aerosol paint for their graffiti 'art'
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I generally argue my virgin package down by threatening to leave for Sky when it starts to get high, as it always creeps up due to thi sand that. It has always worked up to now and they end up putting me on what they call a loyal customer plan. I said to the salesperson last time, 'shouldn't the people who don't threaten to leave and pay more than me for the same thing be called loyal customers?'. They wont even give them that! Paying the same company different amounts for the same thing is another sad reflection of the world today in my grumpy old opinion.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Benson Beds, do not touch them. Bought a bed in there about 6 weeks ago after being assured by the saleswoman it was real wood and not MDF. Found out on internet she was wrong and it was MDF, cancelled the bed because I believed we had been wrongly informed when we purchased. They said it would cost 20% of the total cost to cancel, which was about £100. I emailed their head office in disgust a month ago, no answer, emailed again two weeks ago, still no answer, do not expect one now. I know I can try the small claims court, but why should I?

Ross, how did you pay for the bed? If credit card, just get your credit card company to refund you in full.
  • Options

after cancelling CAFC player, rejoined so that I could listen to games on my holiday - waste of time as was yesterday - service terrible- several minutes behind and kept stopping!!! Is it me or is everything now completely sh*t?

How did you know it was several minutes behind though?

• Options
    Yodel used to brilliant in my area, they've nose dived lately.
  • Options
    I work in the service management industry. It is shocking how few companies even get the basics. Treat customers as you'd want to be treated if you were the customer. Do your best to get things right, but accept things do go wrong sometimes and actively own putting it right for your customer. Do what you say you're going to do.

The companies who can deliver great service are the ones you stick with. It really makes no business sense at all to piss your customers off, yet I guess because this is Britain and we all put up with it they just carry on the same. If you can get a customer delighted with your service, they tell people - it's free advertising and the most powerful of influencers for your company.

I punish companies who give me poor service. I haven't stepped foot in Tesco, when I've had the choice, for over 15 years because they cocked up a delivery and made me do all the work to put it right. Autostyle car mats sent me some great mats with the wrong fitting. Told me they'd replace the fittings, still waiting - they will wait forever before I'll use them again, and I'll happily tell anyone who wants to listen to avoid them like the plague. Moben kitchens, now defunct. Vodafone won't get my future business after telling me one thing and doing another over and over again.

If you want good customer service, by the way, First Direct is king. By a long chalk. John Lewis and (annoyingly) Amazon are also up there.

Special mention to Dinneck's garage in Ashford, who today phoned me to say they couldn't get my part for 2 weeks as it was dealer only. Suggested they'd make one themselves, did so, and saved me about £300 into the bargain. I shall return.
  • Options
    BT were horrendous so I have now switched to Sky.

Currently having battles with Vodafone and Npower about incorrect bills, but taking months to get anywhere.

They just make it as hard as possible for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

BT were horrendous so I have now switched to Sky.

Currently having battles with Vodafone and Npower about incorrect bills, but taking months to get anywhere.

They just make it as hard as possible for you.

Sky were horrific so I switched to BT LOL
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    rikofold said:

I work in the service management industry. It is shocking how few companies even get the basics. Treat customers as you'd want to be treated if you were the customer. Do your best to get things right, but accept things do go wrong sometimes and actively own putting it right for your customer. Do what you say you're going to do.

The companies who can deliver great service are the ones you stick with. It really makes no business sense at all to piss your customers off, yet I guess because this is Britain and we all put up with it they just carry on the same. If you can get a customer delighted with your service, they tell people - it's free advertising and the most powerful of influencers for your company.

I punish companies who give me poor service. I haven't stepped foot in Tesco, when I've had the choice, for over 15 years because they cocked up a delivery and made me do all the work to put it right. Autostyle car mats sent me some great mats with the wrong fitting. Told me they'd replace the fittings, still waiting - they will wait forever before I'll use them again, and I'll happily tell anyone who wants to listen to avoid them like the plague. Moben kitchens, now defunct. Vodafone won't get my future business after telling me one thing and doing another over and over again.

If you want good customer service, by the way, First Direct is king. By a long chalk. John Lewis and (annoyingly) Amazon are also up there.

Special mention to Dinneck's garage in Ashford, who today phoned me to say they couldn't get my part for 2 weeks as it was dealer only. Suggested they'd make one themselves, did so, and saved me about £300 into the bargain. I shall return.

Been there and got the T-shirt with that bunch. Never used them again. A classic example of a company that have got too big IMO, and forgot what and who they are there for.

Tried most of the others for deliveries, and I have to say I can't fault Ocado.

They keep you informed in the last 48 hours, what's missing on your order (Only had 2 occurrences to date), who the driver is, the van colour and registration.

Driver let's you know if he's running late, and calls you if he can make it earlier. They are polite and happy to put the shopping wherever you choose.

Obviously had some good customer focus training.

• Options
    rikofold said:

...I punish companies who give me poor service...they will wait forever before I'll use them again, and I'll happily tell anyone who wants to listen to avoid them like the plague. ....

Mrs Stig takes a similar hardline approach to poor service providers and keeps a list of shops she won't use. The trouble is that there are so many bad ones it starts making life awkward trying to find a company that isn't in the bad books.
  • Options
    Use Facebook and Twitter as they actually don't like it. The lousiest company of all is WH Smith. Always trying to sell you a bar of out of date Galaxy and then refusing to let you have a bag for free as they are 'giving the profits to charity '. This of course means they keep the cost of the bag ( that in the past has been an overhead) and then add some profit ( which you obviously contribute ) which they decide you will give to charity.
    Staff are always crap as well.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Use Facebook and Twitter as they actually don't like it. The lousiest company of all is WH Smith. Always trying to sell you a bar of out of date Galaxy and then refusing to let you have a bag for free as they are 'giving the profits to charity '. This of course means they keep the cost of the bag ( that in the past has been an overhead) and then add some profit ( which you obviously contribute ) which they decide you will give to charity.
    Staff are always crap as well.

WH Smug as my friend Richard Ingrams has been calling them for years.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

ross1 said:

Benson Beds, do not touch them. Bought a bed in there about 6 weeks ago after being assured by the saleswoman it was real wood and not MDF. Found out on internet she was wrong and it was MDF, cancelled the bed because I believed we had been wrongly informed when we purchased. They said it would cost 20% of the total cost to cancel, which was about £100. I emailed their head office in disgust a month ago, no answer, emailed again two weeks ago, still no answer, do not expect one now. I know I can try the small claims court, but why should I?

Ross, how did you pay for the bed? If credit card, just get your credit card company to refund you in full.
    Thank you, forgot about that, have been onto credit card company and explained, waiting for them to ring me back. CL not just about football
  • Options
    In my experience, the more you research what you spend your money on and what tou are actually getting for it, the less likely you are to be disappointed.That's not an excuse for businesses failing to respond properly to dissatisfied Customers, but increasingly nowadays with relentless comparison on price, businesses gain competitive adavantage though selling cheap and having business models that allow them to avoid dealing with irate Customers safe on the knowledge that their market is big enough to sustain losses. A useful tip is to see if you can find a phone number or an address on their website and not just an email link.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Dreams beds no better had 2x 20 mile round trips to fix a frame not square because they couldn't give me correct measurements. 2 weeks without a bed. No offer of compensation.
  • Options
    CAFC's customer service has taken a bashing in this weeks Mercury which came through the door today. Sorry if mentioned elsewhere.

They have cancelled some lift passes for disabled fans in the West Stand as they don't want them walking thru the new lounge.

They don't tell us this when they take our money was the last line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In my experience, the more you research what you spend your money on and what tou are actually getting for it, the less likely you are to be disappointed.That's not an excuse for businesses failing to respond properly to dissatisfied Customers, but increasingly nowadays with relentless comparison on price, businesses gain competitive adavantage though selling cheap and having business models that allow them to avoid dealing with irate Customers safe on the knowledge that their market is big enough to sustain losses. A useful tip is to see if you can find a phone number or an address on their website and not just an email link.

There seems to be a growing trend now for companies not to even publish email addresses. Any contact has to be through some sort of web form. The customer hasn't got a clue who (if indeed anyone) they are contacting.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    LenGlover said:

As a grumpy old git I often rue the changes in society. One big hate of the world today is how everybody wants your money but also want to do as little as possible for it. Just come back from holiday and park and ride company damaged my car, mother (who is in a wheelchair) phoned today to say carers she relies on and pays for hadn't arrived, after cancelling CAFC player, rejoined so that I could listen to games on my holiday - waste of time as was yesterday - service terrible- several minutes behind and kept stopping!!! Is it me or is everything now completely sh*t?

It's not you. The ethos of increasing numbers of businesses these days is to extract as much money has possible for as little service as possible from customers they contemptuously regard as 'mug punters.'

I think all the Bertie Bigbollocks management consultant types who encourage this practice refer to the resulting dissatisfaction as 'customer churn' and regard it as an acceptable cost / risk.

The Chairman does it his way and you have to understand that or similar.

The only way to fight back in my experience is publicise (without being libellous or slanderous) these examples of extortion for no service and shame organisations into actually carrying out the service they have taken your money for.

I find the so called accountable Public Sector is worse than the Private Sector in general myself and loves to avoid responsibility with bureaucratic wild goose chases which lead you back to where you started!

'Complaints Policies' are an obfuscation tactic masquerading as customer service. Ignore them and go to the top.
    Unsurprisingly I disagree Len and it's interesting that all of that the list of miscreants so far are from the bigger companies not the public sector (although I am sure there remain plenty of examples too, that's not what I'm saying).

The public sector is often labelled unaccountable. I've thought about this in the past and who I am accountable to. It's a pretty long list including:

The residents themselves or member of the public or the business primarly concerned with the issue of course
    Their family, solicitor or other representative
    Local community and pressure groups

My line manager
    My head of service
    My service director
    The Chief Executive

The authorities internal complaints monitoring officer
    Those officers dealing with FOI/DPA requests received
    The Ombudsman

Councillors
    Local MP's
    The local MEP

My professional institute
    Colleagues within the same authority
    Colleagues outside the authority who could be based anywhere in the UK

Numerous central government agencies
    At least one european government agency
    The police

Social media
    The local media
    The national media...

...I doubt someone working in the private sector would have a similarly lengthy list tbh and if I broke it down further I could be here all night. But the point is any of the above can, do and have asked for further clarification, explanation or justification as to why I took (or didn't take) a certain decision or course of action in response to the issue being dealt with. I've seen this in action every working day for getting on for nearly 30 years now and IMO customer service has improved massively within local government during that time. I'm sure it's not perfect by any stretch and no doubt some officers and some services still have a long way to go but when I think about the levels of customer service me and my colleagues provide in what are increasingly difficult and often confrontational circumstances and under that much scrutiny I think we do a pretty bloody good job tbf.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

after cancelling CAFC player, rejoined so that I could listen to games on my holiday - waste of time as was yesterday - service terrible- several minutes behind and kept stopping!!! Is it me or is everything now completely sh*t?

How did you know it was several minutes behind though?

Hearing the goals on player several minutes after soccer saturday reported them generally gives it away.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Curb_It said:

CAFC's customer service has taken a bashing in this weeks Mercury which came through the door today. Sorry if mentioned elsewhere.

They have cancelled some lift passes for disabled fans in the West Stand as they don't want them walking thru the new lounge.

Despicable, no other word for it.
  • Options

I work in a high end retail store up town in the customer service department, can honestly say the customer service i see my colleges offering day in day out to some of the rudest and most obnoxious customers known to man is always second to none.

I am the exception though as I am spend my whole day sat on charlton life and bark at a customer if they interrupt me mid-post.

Yeh, but you are excused, we know who your Dad is :wink:
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

It's not just the West Stand, my mum had her pass cancelled too, although I think that may have been sorted now, I'm not sure.
    Fiiish said:

Curb_It said:

That lift must be a miracle worker!
    You're a fucking moron, you know that, right?
  • Options
    I think more effort goes into customer service than it used to. However, that does not necessarily mean the custom experience is better. Many companies now set targets for customer satisfaction which has, in my opinion, the effect of people doing just enough. Therefore, outstanding service is more of rarity but being greeted as you enter a restaurant chain or whatever and providing a decent standard is more common.

I agree with Len that certain organisations are great at sales and collecting money and that's about it. BT, for me,fit into this category. You are dealt with promptly and efficient if you want to spend money. Then, it comes to getting the work done, it's hard going.

On more than one occasion, I have had staff try to help me to complete satisfaction questionnaires. One was Starbucks in Kuala Lumpur where I had to wrestle my phone back from the waiter who wanted to make sure he scored 10 out of 10. The other was a UK car dealer who told me to give 10 out of 10 for everything as any 9s would dent his bonus. No pressure then.