Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shaun Bartlett - your memories

Hello there.

I'm writing an article about Shaun Bartlett (it's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get fans' memories about him as a player and a man. Any memories/stories you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at the Valley. Also any personal memories/anecdotes you have of meeting him/seeing him around - stuff like that.

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website this week. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be.

I should come clean straight away and admit I'm not a Charlton fan, I'm actually a Hammer. Feel free to abuse me for this!

Cheers,

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    Who?
  • Options
    Will never forget his debut against Manchester United... Could and should have had a hat-trick in the opening 30-mins yet somehow only managed to score the once... the pitch was so muddy and Shaun had won so many diving headers that he was forced to change his shirt because the Redbus sponsor wasnt visible.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

The home debut vs Man Utd and his goal of the season vs Leicester will be well remembered, but (along with Mark Fish), Barts led the pre-match warm-up routines with something (I presume) he learnt from SA. He and Fiiiish would lead two "teams" of players in a conga-style train around the outfield that involved clapping and high-kicking while chanting too. The other players really got into it after the bemused looks on the first couple of occasions, and it really worked in warming them up for the game and firing them up for the battle. New signings usually started at the back until they got the hang of things. Even the crowd enjoyed seeing this spectacle 20 minutes before kick off!

God I'd forgotten that pre-match warm up... Was one of the brilliant things that made Charlton so unique for a few years
  • Options
    always remember his debut against Man U and of course that Leicester goal, one of the best (if not the best) goal I've ever witnessed live.....great ball from Graham Stuart(?) as well I think
  • Options
    He used to live on the same estate as me, just opposite a friend of mine. He had huge security cameras installed on his house. They were the only security cameras I ever saw on Kings Hill - an area where people would, regularly, leave their £1,000 bikes leaning up against the side of their house unlocked.

The crime rate on Kings Hill is almost zero yet Shaun has his house protected like Don Corleone!
  • Options
    Great header of the ball and, as DM says, scorer of the one of the finest goals I've ever seen - so good that the BBC had to break with tradition and give us some proper recognition on Match of the Day for once, awarding Bartlett Goal of the Season.

Typical Curbishley signing, epitomised the "no I in team attitude" that our sides had while Curbs was in charge.
  • Options
    2 great goals at White Hart Lane followed by a fantastic save that saw him sent off when we won 3-2.

Also 1-0 win at Liverpool (the same season?)

Great player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bartlett was another in a long line of excellent South Africans who've played for CAFC down the years .. most everything about him has been written above .. great in the air for a small man, terrific competitor, always seemed to be smiling, a credit to his profession .. I didn't see a lot of him as I was away for much of that era .. what I did see, I thoroughly admired and enjoyed
  • Options
    The diving header at Spurs was in my opinion a better goal than the one against Leicester. A couple of quick one touch passes and a great cross from Luke Young. Bartlett was a rock in our box defending corners and always seemed to enjoy his football. Having Mandela at your wedding probably tops it all!
  • Options

The diving header at Spurs was in my opinion a better goal than the one against Leicester. A couple of quick one touch passes and a great cross from Luke Young. Bartlett was a rock in our box defending corners and always seemed to enjoy his football. Having Mandela at your wedding probably tops it all!

Definitely at the time I appreciated the Spurs goal more, it was only after having seen the replay when later that I really appreciated how incredible that Leicester goal was.

Wonderful player and by all accounts a great man. Was dealt very harshly by team he was managing in South Africa - fired just after getting them promoted.
  • Options
    Had a fantastic leap on him....terrific in the air.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was a great header of the ball, probably the bet Ive seen. The reason for this was he didn't have to use his arms and elbows to get leverage which meant he very rarely gave a foul away doing so.

The Leicester goal, I was about 15m away at pitch level and watched the flight of the ball straight onto his foot. A real lesson for kids in keeping your eye on the ball.
    Bought my dad that Goal of the season mug as he was in the background of the photo.

Oh and another needless story about his debut, I missed out on the valley Lottery that day by one fckin number, every other game Id buy me and my dad one but was in a rush and it was manic getting in the ground, had my boy in one hand an only one spare £1 coin in the other, didn't want to mess about looking for a note and waiting for change.

My chips were well and truly pissed on at HT and then they scored more or less from kick off just added insult to injury.
  • Options
    Can only echo the comments about that goal and his debut. Two truly great moments of being a Charlton fan. It never ceased to amaze me how high he could jump, I've never seen anything like it, no need for leverage it was a genuine leap.

Also after looking at his goal scoring record I see his real first name is Thurston. Perhaps Curbs could relate to that and helped convince him to sign.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Always remember the gaol against Spurs where he also got sent off, fantastic one touch build up play with Bartlett rounding it off with a sublime diving header. One of my all time favourite CAFC goals.

Was that the game, he got sent off, for doing a diving save ? (Or am I talking nonsense as usual? )
  • Options
    Had an incredible hang time. Seemed to stay up for ages. A great header of the ball and a real team player. Worked his socks off for the team. Didn't get that many goals, but he was in a side where the whole squad seemed to score 4 goals each.

Scored the Premier League goal of the season on 2000/01 with an incredible left-footed volley (he was right-footed) but I'll always remember the two goals he scored against Man United on his debut in an amazing 3-3 draw. What a start.
  • Options
    ....and scored a winner for us at Liverpool - pretty amazing that nobody has mentioned that.

Still, it's not like he is the only bloke to have done that for us in the last 60 years or so......
  • Options
    agim said:

I remember heading down to all sports the old sports shop in blue water to buy our new yellow away shirt. They sponsored us at the time and Fish & Bartlett were doing a signing. I got there late and all the shirts were gone so Bartlett gave me the one he was wearing. He asked if I mind having 'Bartlett' printed on the back, that's also my surname so of course I didn't mind. Very decent chap and very sociable.

On a similar note, as a fellow Bartlett who was 37 at the time, I went to the club shop to get a shirt and asked for the name and number on the back. The assistant said to me "You do realise he is only on loan at the moment don't you", so I passed over my credit card with a nod and a smile.

The first and only time in my life I bought a shirt with a name and number on the back...
  • Options
    Terrible quality video, but he scored this cracker v Spurs too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llIqUS-Vlik
  • Options
    The Leicester goal may be the best I've seen from Charlton at The Valley. A superb cross-field pass from Graham Stuart and Bartett timed his finish perfectly. MOTD goal of the season. His debut v Utd is also a standout moment. They didn't know what hat him then and just couldn't handle him. Spurs away too. He was a great header of the ball but also held up it up so well but almost catching it on his chest and bringing it down and feeding others into play. We released him a year too early if you ask me.
  • Options

i had the pleasure of doing some of the sky sports fanzxone commentaries - younger readers look up on you tube - and i was selected by sky to do the game v leicester whebn he scored THAT goal . the leicester fan was a cock and his girlfrend who was with him was even worse. she constantly kept asking me what it was like to supoort a "small club" and being constantly condescending towards our great club . when shaun scored that goal i went absolutely ballistic as you would and , havign pressed the swear button, turned to here and said "thats what its like to support a fucking small club u silly bitch"
    she stormed out in tears with me laughing. looking back wasnt particularly nice of me but she drove me mad.

needless to say the air was particularly frosty between me and her boyfirend after and he was well up for kicking off out in the car park after

that was the last game i did funnily enough.

I hope Yahoo feature this and dig out the footage. Bring back Fanzone!