Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shaun Bartlett - your memories

2»

Comments

• Options

Nicholas said:

Always remember the gaol against Spurs where he also got sent off, fantastic one touch build up play with Bartlett rounding it off with a sublime diving header. One of my all time favourite CAFC goals.

Was that the game, he got sent off, for doing a diving save ? (Or am I talking nonsense as usual? )
    yes
  • Options
    I thought his debut was at Anfield when we lost 3-0... I remember him coming of the bench and winning a few headers. Am I imagining this!? The Bartlett / Euell/ Lisbie triumvirate (!) was the best we've had in my time, in my opinion. Not necessarily the best players, but certainly worth more than the sum of their parts.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Very unselfish striker ideally suited to the 4-5-1 forced upon Curbs to accommodate Murphy.

I remember him bowling the ball from the goal and taking the corner flag out at The Valley once. The only other player I can remember doing that in more than 50 years was the goalkeeper the late Ken Jones c 1965.

It was the same corner flag in both cases. Covered End West.
  • Options

Sponsored his shirt 2005/2006 - at the sponsors' dinner he was an absolute gent.

As some small payback for CAFC's great debt to South Africa I also sponsored a junior club's kit - SB presented them with my signed shirt at their clubhouse in Paarl. As the Bafana Bafana captain he was universally idolised.

Our greatest ever header of the ball, level with Matt Tees - both had that spring and hang.
  • Options
    Can't really add much more to what has already been said.

Class header of the ball, great debut and that wonder goal. On top of that he was a really nice guy the couple of times I met him.
  • Options
    He got a winner at Stamford Bridge as well?
  • Options

That was Kevin.
  • Options

Nicholas said:

Always remember the gaol against Spurs where he also got sent off, fantastic one touch build up play with Bartlett rounding it off with a sublime diving header. One of my all time favourite CAFC goals.

Was that the game, he got sent off, for doing a diving save ? (Or am I talking nonsense as usual? )
    Yeah thats the one, I'm sure he scored another goal in that game as well before getting sent off in the second half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

That was Kevin.
    Shaun got one as well - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/1285894.stm

Lisbie's was a last minute effort in a midweek match.

It's nice being able to make the mistake of getting our victories over Chelsea confused - 5 times on the spin we beat them I think, happy, happy times!
  • Options
    BBC Goal of the Season and 1-0 win header at Anfield in front of the Kop!
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

JiMMy 85 said:

That was Kevin.
    Shaun got one as well - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/1285894.stm

Lisbie's was a last minute effort in a midweek match.

It's nice being able to make the mistake of getting our victories over Chelsea confused - 5 times on the spin we beat them I think, happy, happy times!
    More Chelsea victories than I count? I'll take that mistake all day long.

• Options
    I was at Anfield for the 1-0 and had been given free tickets but in the middle of the home stand, when Shaun scored I stood up and was very quickly told to sit down and keep very quiet - I did
  • Options
    Nicholas.
    Always remember the gaol against Spurs when he also got sent off.

Hell of a punishment for red cards in those days !
  • Options
    Besides the above stand out moments the last minute winner away at Portsmouth October 2003. PDC and John Fortune came on as subs, JF scored from one PDC corner to equalise Shaun in the last minute thundered home a header for the winner. It went mental in the away end!
  • Options

i had the pleasure of doing some of the sky sports fanzxone commentaries - younger readers look up on you tube - and i was selected by sky to do the game v leicester whebn he scored THAT goal . the leicester fan was a cock and his girlfrend who was with him was even worse. she constantly kept asking me what it was like to supoort a "small club" and being constantly condescending towards our great club . when shaun scored that goal i went absolutely ballistic as you would and , havign pressed the swear button, turned to here and said "thats what its like to support a fucking small club u silly bitch"
    she stormed out in tears with me laughing. looking back wasnt particularly nice of me but she drove me mad.

needless to say the air was particularly frosty between me and her boyfirend after and he was well up for kicking off out in the car park after

that was the last game i did funnily enough.

I hope Yahoo feature this and dig out the footage. Bring back Fanzone!
    Fanzone was epic. I remember watching Dennis in the last minute with fanzone on. Absolutely amazing moment! 10x more interesting and fun than the rubbish commentators they have. It does almost feel you are at the game.
  • Options

Nicholas said:

Yes, and he went down holding his face to try and con the ref. he, rightly, got sent off and walked away with a big grin on his face.
  • Options

Nicholas said:

Yes, and he went down holding his face to try and con the ref. he, rightly, got sent off and walked away with a big grin on his face.
    Will still never beat Steven Taylor's attempt to make the referee think that he'd just been shot by a sniper
  • Options

He used to live on the same estate as me, just opposite a friend of mine. He had huge security cameras installed on his house. They were the only security cameras I ever saw on Kings Hill - an area where people would, regularly, leave their £1,000 bikes leaning up against the side of their house unlocked.

The crime rate on Kings Hill is almost zero yet Shaun has his house protected like Don Corleone!

I have a funny feeling that if you had lived in South Africa, and had a few bob, (as presumably SB did) you might well have done your house up with Fort Knox type security. Expect old habits die hard!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I arrived at my hotel in Singapore, turned on the telly, and Shaun was just getting his foot to Stuart's pass for THAT goal. I'm sure my expletive-laden celebration was heard all round the hotel.
  • Options
    Many thanks for all your contributions guys - the piece is now published https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/blast-past-no-6-shaun-100747828.html

I credited the site rather than specific users as it gets too messy.

Cheers again.
    Kevin
  • Options
    The best goal I have ever seen at the Valley! Better than the Van Persie goal!

Also such a nice bloke along with Fiiiiiish. My Uncle and his mates were over from SA and we had a table in the bar/restaurant in the North. Someone organised for Bartlett and Fiiiiiish to come up after the game and have a chat and pictures etc. Nice touch.
  • Options
    loved his debut goal against united and goal of the season against leceister.

liked the player but like a lot of charlton forwards, never scored enough goals.
  • Options
    Almost bought me to tears. Scored the winning goal at the Kop end at Anfield.

Charlton, winning a league game at Liverpool.

Throughout my first decade or so of supporting Charlton, I just wanted to see us play at Anfield. But to see us play, on a level playing field, a league game against one of the historically biggest Clubs in the World and beating them on their home turf, was euphoric.

Cheers Shaun.
  • Options

Many thanks for all your contributions guys - the piece is now published https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/blast-past-no-6-shaun-100747828.html

I credited the site rather than specific users as it gets too messy.

Cheers again.
    Kevin

Thank you Darling :-)