Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney & Charlton

13»

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Leuth said:

Riviera said:

Leuth said:

He's still on 49 anyway. One of the 2004 goals was an o.g. off the keeper's head. Amazed that one was given to Rooney tbh - categorically not his goal

Well the ball must have been going onto the net so it's not an og.
    It wasn't going in.

That (loveable) muppet (great British institution) Motson didn't pick up on this, though. Mystifying.
    If someone fired a gun at me and I deflected the bullet with my bullet-proof hand, and it hit some other guy in the head, I wouldn't be charged with murder. As such, I don't see why a deflection makes a player responsible for an own goal.
    What?

The ball hit the post and was going back away from the goal. If the keeper's head hadn't been there it would have rebounded back to the six-yard line. It's an own goal. Is this crazy day or something?
    Wasn't that Rio's goal against Denmark? When Rommedahl was playing for Denmark?
  • Options
    Credit where it's due it's a great achievement. If only it was that straight forward. A few things to bare in mind when comparing Rooney to others.

Goals per game, goals in big tournaments, important goals, penalties, chances created, chances wasted.

He has consistently been in the England squad since he was 17 (when available) and consistently put it in the back of the net against sh*t teams and friendlies.

His goals have counted for something when you think about qualifying for finals tournaments.

• Options

Bobby Charlton has a better goals per a game ratio as a midfilder than Rooney does as a striker, stats don't lie. Greaves was the most lethal striker.

Rooney has a goals per minute played for England of one every 161 mins Bobby Charltons is every 193 mins
    Lineker every 136 min
    Greavsie every 117 mins
    Further down the goals chart Peter Crouch every 99 mins

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/teamgoals/Goals_10-49.html

• Options

Bobby Charlton has a better goals per a game ratio as a midfilder than Rooney does as a striker, stats don't lie. Greaves was the most lethal striker.

Rooney has a goals per minute played for England of one every 161 mins Bobby Charltons is every 193 mins
    Lineker every 136 min
    Greavsie every 117 mins
    Further down the goals chart Peter Crouch every 99 mins

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/teamgoals/Goals_10-49.html

So Rooney getting subbed of early makes his record better? I'm not buying it.
  • Options
    Man Utd goal scoring records Rooney 484 games 233 goals
    Bobby Charlton 758 games 249 goals
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be simpler for each poster to say either "I like him" or "I don't like him"? That seems to be the real criteria as to whether his feat is a great achievement or a pile of poo...
  • Options
    decent enough player and surely everyone thinks it's a great achievement to have got that many goals for us , even if it could have been more
    I neither like or dislike him for the record
  • Options
    He's ok
  • Options
    Have the other players except Lineker (therefore he is number one for me) really done it in more than one tournament like Rooney? The others who seem to be in the conversation as best have piled up as many supposed "filler goals" as Rooney (Charlton, Greaves even more so, Shearer, Owen). Bare in mind the injuries he has got before tournaments his record there isn't that embarrassing as made out, people also seem to ignore Euro 2004 because it was a while ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I took this from the bbc article

Rooney's greatest impact on tournament football to date came as a teenager at Euro 2004, when he scored twice against both Switzerland and Croatia before breaking a bone in his foot during the quarter-final defeat by hosts Portugal.
    Since then, however, he has scored just two more goals at major tournaments, with a winner against Ukraine at Euro 2012 followed by his goal in the defeat by Uruguay at the 2014 World Cup - his only World Cup finals goal.

I'm not arguing with Rooney breaking the record and the achievement in doing this, but that is such a shit record at tournaments. I think it was 2006 that he had his injury, but that means it's 4 goals in 5 tournaments. If he doesn't deliver next year then I don't know what to make of his career. On the one hand leading goalscorer, but on the other other, very por on the main stage
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I took this from the bbc article

Rooney's greatest impact on tournament football to date came as a teenager at Euro 2004, when he scored twice against both Switzerland and Croatia before breaking a bone in his foot during the quarter-final defeat by hosts Portugal.
    Since then, however, he has scored just two more goals at major tournaments, with a winner against Ukraine at Euro 2012 followed by his goal in the defeat by Uruguay at the 2014 World Cup - his only World Cup finals goal.

I'm not arguing with Rooney breaking the record and the achievement in doing this, but that is such a shit record at tournaments. I think it was 2006 that he had his injury, but that means it's 4 goals in 5 tournaments. If he doesn't deliver next year then I don't know what to make of his career. On the one hand leading goalscorer, but on the other other, very por on the main stage

Bang on. It's not how many you score, it's WHEN you score them and his record when it really matters is utter shite.

Compare that to Lineker with 10 goals in two World Cups - including crucial goals in QFs and SFs - fantastic record.

To a lesser extent the same goes for Owen - goals in World Cups against the big boys.
  • Options
    Playing devils advocate. Rooney's goal against Ukraine was pretty important, as were the goals against the Swiss and Croatia (plus an assist against Croatia too). Taking it that the one against Uruguay and the assist against Italy were meaningless and that penalties don't really count (as some at the beginning of this thread alluded to, until they discovered that until this week he had taken very few). Lets have a look at those Lineker goals.

A hat trick against Poland '86, well, as it turned out one would have done, so lets chalk off two. Paraguay one would have done, lets chalk off another. Argentina, meaningless late consolation, another one bites the dust.

Euro 88 - Nada.

Italia 90. Goal v ROI, okay only a draw, but it mattered. Two goals against Cameroon, both pens.. weeeelll??? Mmmm depends who is counting I guess. Goal in the semi v W. Germany, counted for nothing in the end, did it?

And that's that.

Three meaningful goals for GL against five for WR. If you are being arsey about pens, if not, five all.

I much prefer Lineker as a person to Rooney, and in my heart I think he was a better goal scorer. But I think it's unfair to call Rooney utter shite, even if he failed to live up to his early potential. Lineker never tackled back and battled for a ball in midfield like Rooney does, either...
  • Options

The thing is you have to ask if Rooney is really World class would he get in the World 11? and the answer is no I doubt he would get on the bench so I agree that the "World Class" thing is really overused on a player who promised a lot but didn't really deliver when it mattered (Euro 2004 apart).

On the discussion of who is the greatest striker sorry to be an old fogey but Jimmy Greaves by a country mile unless you have seen him in his pomp you won't understand. Jimmy was lethal, very fast, two footed and passed the ball into the net for me the best English striker ever.

Credit to Rooney though 50 goals is 50 goals so I congratulate him

Good Post: Greaves in his heyday, the best, in an era when leg breaking tackles were commonplace .. a minor injury in 1966 gave Ramsey the excuse to drop him as he didn't fit the team's work ethic .. BUT .. look who came in for him, the great Geoff Hurst

Now Rooney has the lead it's about time he withdrew into the Bobby Charlton midfield role and Harry Kane MUST be a regular starter
  • Options

Playing devils advocate. Rooney's goal against Ukraine was pretty important, as were the goals against the Swiss and Croatia (plus an assist against Croatia too). Taking it that the one against Uruguay and the assist against Italy were meaningless and that penalties don't really count (as some at the beginning of this thread alluded to, until they discovered that until this week he had taken very few). Lets have a look at those Lineker goals.

A hat trick against Poland '86, well, as it turned out one would have done, so lets chalk off two. Paraguay one would have done, lets chalk off another. Argentina, meaningless late consolation, another one bites the dust.

Euro 88 - Nada.

Italia 90. Goal v ROI, okay only a draw, but it mattered. Two goals against Cameroon, both pens.. weeeelll??? Mmmm depends who is counting I guess. Goal in the semi v W. Germany, counted for nothing in the end, did it?

And that's that.

Three meaningful goals for GL against five for WR. If you are being arsey about pens, if not, five all.

I much prefer Lineker as a person to Rooney, and in my heart I think he was a better goal scorer. But I think it's unfair to call Rooney utter shite, even if he failed to live up to his early potential. Lineker never tackled back and battled for a ball in midfield like Rooney does, either...

I think his record at tournaments is shit Algarve, but certainly don't think he's shite.
  • Options

Euro 88 - Nada.

And that's that.

So, you're disregarding Gary Lineker's World Cup Semi Final goal - a match which stopped the entire nation and which was played against the eventual champions....

.....but prepared to give Wayne Rooney a one yard tap in in a group game against a pile of steaming dog turd that only qualified as hosts and didn't win a single game?

That's not just Devils Advocate, that's criminally insane!
  • Options

Euro 88 - Nada.

And that's that.

So, you're disregarding Gary Lineker's World Cup Semi Final goal - a match which stopped the entire nation and which was played against the eventual champions....

.....but prepared to give Wayne Rooney a one yard tap in in a group game against a pile of steaming dog turd that only qualified as hosts and didn't win a single game?

That's not just Devils Advocate, that's criminally insane!
    Or is it just a stone wall fact that does not fit someone's prejudice, I wonder... *evil cackle* :smiley:
  • Options
    Enjoyed the programme on BBC1 about him
  • Options
    Was not bad, although did not reveal anything we already did not know. Subtitles might of been nice though!