Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memorable Charlton referee conning attempts

edited September 2015 in General Charlton
1 Jim Melrose at Selhurst park, lying prostrate, in front of The Arthur Waite stand after a foul.
When the ref's back was turned, he looked up at the fans, gave a wink and then continued to play dead.

2 Steve Brown giving away a penalty against Leicester at The Valley v Leicester. He too played dead, but as he was being put on the stretcher, the ref red carded him. An avalanche of brochures descended on to the pitch. I managed to get 3 on. Can anyone beat that ?

3 Shaun Bartlett's diving save against Spurs at The Valley. He got red carded, even though he tried to con the ref by rubbing his head.

Comments

• Options
    Nicky Bailey being dispossessed, falling to the ground in mock agony. They go up the other end and score whilst he's still rolling around at the halfway line, suddenly jumps up and chases after the ref shouting and screaming at him.

Some captain eh?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Nicky Bailey being dispossessed, falling to the ground in mock agony. They go up the other end and score whilst he's still rolling around at the halfway line, suddenly jumps up and chases after the ref shouting and screaming at him.

Some captain eh?

Oh yes. That was really pathetic.
  • Options

Slightly different, but i used to love it when kinsella took corners outside of the markings especially at away games with the home fans going absolutely mental

There was an oppo player a few years ago that done this, right in front of the Covered End, when everyone started whistling and shouting, he took the ball and moved it about 6 feet along the touchline, properly taking the piss. Anyone remember who it was or what game?
  • Options
    Not a con precisely, more of a whack. But how did Mark Reid get away with decking referee David Axcell in the match at Norwich (1987 maybe)?
    Axcell was so out of it he couldn't continue for the rest of the match.
  • Options

Slightly different, but i used to love it when kinsella took corners outside of the markings especially at away games with the home fans going absolutely mental

I think Pringle's headed goal against Chelsea was a result of one of those "illegal" corners.
  • Options

Has it got to be a decision in Charltons favour... If not then Rob Styles giving Fulham a throw in when there wasnt a Charlton player within 10-yards of the ball going out of play... Ended up leading to a goal which meant the match finished 2-2 and I always believe that had we won that match, we'd never have been relegated from the Premier League that season

Agreed. But it was the lino that gave it & the ref was Graham Poll. Never forget.
  • Options

Has it got to be a decision in Charltons favour... If not then Rob Styles giving Fulham a throw in when there wasnt a Charlton player within 10-yards of the ball going out of play... Ended up leading to a goal which meant the match finished 2-2 and I always believe that had we won that match, we'd never have been relegated from the Premier League that season

Agreed. But it was the lino that gave it & the ref was Graham Poll. Never forget.
    The Referee always gives the decisions, the linesman just raises his flag in the direction that the Ref's arm is facing ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not quite right that. It should have been a Charlton throw in but the linesman inexplicably gave it as a free kick against Djimi Traore for handball. Cue them launching it in, Talal heading his clearance against the back of Hermann's head (or vice versa, not quite sure there) and them poking in the rebound. Sickening stuff.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Some captain eh?

Similar to Bougherra v Colchester, he lost the ball to Lisbie and fell to the ground. Lisbie ran through and scored with Bougherra still lying on the deck... after getting no sympathy from the Charlton players who were looking daggers at him, he sheepishly got up and carried on.
  • Options
    Not really conning the ref, but the Swindon keeper (think it may have been Fraser Digby) that put his handbag on the line.

If the ball had hit his handbag and come out without crossing the line, would a goal have been given? I don't think it would, that would have been a con!

He had to move it pretty sharpish though thanks to the covered end! :smile:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Not a con precisely, more of a whack. But how did Mark Reid get away with decking referee David Axcell in the match at Norwich (1987 maybe)?

Reid said that Axcell ran into him..but from where I was it looked like he did whack him.
  • Options
    Talal said:

I think Pringle's headed goal against Chelsea was a result of one of those "illegal" corners.
    Must have been back in the good old days when we scored from corners.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

There was an oppo player a few years ago that done this, right in front of the Covered End, when everyone started whistling and shouting, he took the ball and moved it about 6 feet along the touchline, properly taking the piss. Anyone remember who it was or what game?
    Can't remember who it was but I do remember that. My grandad always brings it up when talking about funny incidents in football.
  • Options

If the ball had hit his handbag and come out without crossing the line, would a goal have been given? I don't think it would, that would have been a con!

5 penalty runs to the batting side....
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer against Birmingham (I think) where he tumbled over a non-existent leg in the box and once the ref had given the pen, ginned and winked at the Covered End.
  • Options

But it was up to us to defend the free kick not the lino's.
  • Options
    I have a vague recollection of Danny Mills taking a 'tumble' in the box away at Port Vale (I think)... during the ensuing melee he crawled out from between the legs of everyone, gave a cheeky grin to the away fans behind the goal and proceeded to stand and watch it all unfold with a 'butter wouldn't melt in his mouth' type look....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lee Bowyer against Birmingham (I think) where he tumbled over a non-existent leg in the box and once the ref had given the pen, ginned and winked at the Covered End.

Robbie Savage did this playing for ? down at the Covered end and then jumped up
    and started grinning and punching the air.
    It was a Forestieri type of dive.

Any CL remember this.

• Options

Robbie Savage did this playing for ? down at the Covered end and then jumped up
    and started grinning and punching the air.
    It was a Forestieri type of dive.

Any CL remember this.

Birmingham.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Going back further, there is of course Peter Hunt's phantom goal against Oldham.... except that my recollection is that our boys did very little overt conning as such, but merely kept schtum when the ref bizarrely awarded the goal. I'm pretty sure everyone started to line up for a goal kick, but when the ref pointed to the centre spot, i think one or two of ours possibly started token "oh I nearly forgot to say something, we've scored by the way" celebrations, just to help convince the ref he'd made the right call.

..cue the Oldham players hitting the roof
  • Options
    I recall against Manure, when Ronaldo went down in the area in front of the covered end rolling around like he does trying to win a pen. Roy Keane ran up and promptly hauled him to his feet whilst looking into the crowd raising his eyebrows!
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Reid said that Axcell ran into him..but from where I was it looked like he did whack him.</

I was sat directly side on to the incident and Reid definitely shoved Axcell with two hands in the chest. He staggered backwards and whacked his head on the ground. Think East Anglia TV gave the league a bit of footage and Reid got done but didn't have to serve a suspension(?)
  • Options

I recall against Manure, when Ronaldo went down in the area in front of the covered end rolling around like he does trying to win a pen. Roy Keane ran up and promptly hauled him to his feet whilst looking into the crowd raising his eyebrows!

Remember that very well happened right in front of me, I can honestly say that is the only thing Keane has ever done that I liked.
  • Options
    Not conning the ref but Mark Aizelwood got booked at Watford for telling the Watford player in front and with his back to him to leave the ball as it came towards them.
  • Options
    El-karkouri was always at it

Got embarrassing after the fifth time
  • Options

Also it was a free kick not a throw in and he then also let him take it three yards in from the line.
  • Options

Remember that very well happened right in front of me, I can honestly say that is the only thing Keane has ever done that I liked.
    I think He did two things that I liked. This was one of them, but I can't remember the other....