Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memorable Charlton referee conning attempts

2»

Comments

• Options
    Reza falling over claiming a foul x 736
  • Options
    Ha! The Steve Brown sending/stretchered off episode still makes me chuckle. With my usual red-tinted view of events I was totally incensed at the sending off, believing 100% that it was ball to hand whilst he was down with a serious injury. Programme lobbed on the pitch? I was pretty damn close to lobbing myself on to chin the ref! Of course, when I saw it on tv it was crystal clear the Brownie had indeed performed a very deliberate block with his hand and the sending off was totally justified.

I reckon 90% plus of the Charlton fans there that day got it as wrong as I did.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    The successful Harry Gregory 'hand of a God goal' effort as described by @purdis on here last September.

'Harry Gregory when he punched the ball in the net in 2-0 home win vs Rotherham United - made it look like he'd headed it as ref was blind side - never mind Maradona's Hand of God!
    I remember the pitch that day was saturated and so badly cut up - today's players would throw a wobbler if they had to play on that (come to think of it, The Valley for much of last season!)'.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I was right in line behind the goal, it was a red, but it didn't need Robbie Savage to run 60 yards to tell the ref the obvious. That probably inflamed things even more, and when it calmed down the ref gave Junior Lewis the softest red card ever to even it up. Mad day all round.
  • Options
    Carter said:

El-karkouri was always at it

Got embarrassing after the fifth time

This. I remember him collapsing in the area like he's been shot after getting skinned by noted speed merchant dimitar berbatov
  • Options
    Referee con men - rob styles. How that bloke Reffed an fa cup final is beyond me. That game against Plymouth he was giving out yellows like birthday cards and then the tackle that ended todorovs career he did jack about.

I've seen I think Alan shearer dive in front of the covered end, the entire covered end stood up, pointed at him and yelled "CHEEEEAAAAT" or something. He quickly dusted himself off and climbed quietly back into I think fortune's pocket.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

The successful Harry Gregory 'hand of a God goal' effort as described by @purdis on here last September.

'Harry Gregory when he punched the ball in the net in 2-0 home win vs Rotherham United - made it look like he'd headed it as ref was blind side - never mind Maradona's Hand of God!
    I remember the pitch that day was saturated and so badly cut up - today's players would throw a wobbler if they had to play on that (come to think of it, The Valley for much of last season!)'.

Garth Crooks once punched one in, pretty blatantly, v , I think, Norwich.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Yep. Had a good view of that and he went from being my favourite player to least favourite in an instant.
  • Options

Going back further, there is of course Peter Hunt's phantom goal against Oldham.... except that my recollection is that our boys did very little overt conning as such, but merely kept schtum when the ref bizarrely awarded the goal. I'm pretty sure everyone started to line up for a goal kick, but when the ref pointed to the centre spot, i think one or two of ours possibly started token "oh I nearly forgot to say something, we've scored by the way" celebrations, just to help convince the ref he'd made the right call.

..cue the Oldham players hitting the roof

Indeed a memorable "goal". You're right, the ball went past the right post, hit the wall and bounced back onto the field. Everyone was wandering back to wait for the goal kick, when the ref insists it was a goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

cafcfan said:

Not a con precisely, more of a whack. But how did Mark Reid get away with decking referee David Axcell in the match at Norwich (1987 maybe)?
    Axcell was so out of it he couldn't continue for the rest of the match.

Reid said that Axcell ran into him..but from where I was it looked like he did whack him.
    I was sat directly side on to the incident and Reid definitely shoved Axcell with two hands in the chest. He staggered backwards and whacked his head on the ground. Think East Anglia TV gave the league a bit of footage and Reid got done but didn't have to serve a suspension(?)
    You sure you're not conflating that with the Paulo Di Canio thing when he was at Sheffield Wednesday? From what I remember of the Reidy thing was that he spun around to protest and accidentally clotheslined the ref / the ref turned into his arm rather than any shoving going on. It was the first time that TV footage was used to appeal a sending off and he got cleared as a result.

Am I misremembering, or did the sub-ref pull a muscle later on, so that had to get someone out of the crowd to run the line? Or was that a different game? It was a fun Junior Reds trip anyway.

• Options

3 Shaun Bartlett's diving save against Spurs at The Valley. He got red carded, even though he tried to con the ref by rubbing his head.

wasn't this at White Hart Lane, the game where he scored two possibly ?
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Remember that,
    have a feeling that Greg Downs may of got a late winner for the Adams family
    in that match ? thou that may of been another year ?

• Options
    RedChaser said:

Remember this well although Harry didn't when I reminded him in north lounge after QPR game.
  • Options
    Charlton home to York, they get a penalty guy side foots past post, hits wall and rolls onto pitch, Jeff Wood( I think) doesn't bother with goal kick he just lumped the rebound down field giving York players no time to get back. Ball falls nicely in front of Halesy I think who tucks it away. 1-0 thank you very much. York players absolutely enraged that goal was given. These things never happen against Millwall.
  • Options
    Acab said:

Charlton home to York, they get a penalty guy side foots past post, hits wall and rolls onto pitch, Jeff Wood( I think) doesn't bother with goal kick he just lumped the rebound down field giving York players no time to get back. Ball falls nicely in front of Halesy I think who tucks it away. 1-0 thank you very much. York players absolutely enraged that goal was given. These things never happen against Millwall.

I do remember this but have some of the details different in my head. The goalie was definitely John Dunn, and I think the goalscorer may have been Flanagan? Dunn did just larrup the ball as it was still moving as the ref had turned his back to run back to the halfway line thinking that a goal kick would take the normal 20 seconds or so to take.
  • Options
    I see to recall Paddy Powell telling how he used to push the ball past defenders if he knew he wasn't getting to the ball first he would jump on the back of the defender and 9 times out of ten he would get a free kick. Sneaky....but good
  • Options
    Jimmy Giles punching the ball in the net at home to Bolton in the 76-77 season. Bolton's Peter Reid went ballistic at the ref for ages.
  • Options
    Terry Naylor used to put his arms up as if to catch the dropping ball, everyone stops and he brings the ball down normally.
  • Options
    Bailey again getting a Southend player sent off. Got shoved and pretended to have been punched. What a cheating scumbag he was. Nasty piece of work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Colin Powell our ex winger turned groundsman from way back had a great trick, worked more often than not. Pushed the ball past the oppo fullback then would run into the back of him, claiming obstruction. He was a good actor too!
  • Options
    S'cuse me daveaddick did'nt see your piece above!
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

Bailey again getting a Southend player sent off. Got shoved and pretended to have been punched. What a cheating scumbag he was. Nasty piece of work.

I sometimes think i'm the only one who saw it. It was a clear punch.
    But will never forgive Bailey giving away the ball against Swindon in the playoffs when we were 4 on 1 and 2-1 up and lliera got sent off coving the mistake
  • Options

Colin Powell our ex winger turned groundsman from way back had a great trick, worked more often than not. Pushed the ball past the oppo fullback then would run into the back of him, claiming obstruction. He was a good actor too!

Mark "Amos" Stuart used to do the same thing
  • Options

markmc68 said:

I sometimes think i'm the only one who saw it. It was a clear punch.
    But will never forgive Bailey giving away the ball against Swindon in the playoffs when we were 4 on 1 and 2-1 up and lliera got sent off coving the mistake
    Everyone remembers Bailey's penalty hitting the poor guy in row z in the upper north but this was the turning point of the match as Swindon were down to 10 men and any pass to a red shirt would have done the job.

• Options
    aliwibble said:

Simonsen said:

cafcfan said:

Not a con precisely, more of a whack. But how did Mark Reid get away with decking referee David Axcell in the match at Norwich (1987 maybe)?

Reid said that Axcell ran into him..but from where I was it looked like he did whack him.
    I was sat directly side on to the incident and Reid definitely shoved Axcell with two hands in the chest. He staggered backwards and whacked his head on the ground. Think East Anglia TV gave the league a bit of footage and Reid got done but didn't have to serve a suspension(?)
    You sure you're not conflating that with the Paulo Di Canio thing when he was at Sheffield Wednesday? From what I remember of the Reidy thing was that he spun around to protest and accidentally clotheslined the ref / the ref turned into his arm rather than any shoving going on. It was the first time that TV footage was used to appeal a sending off and he got cleared as a result.

Am I misremembering, or did the sub-ref pull a muscle later on, so that had to get someone out of the crowd to run the line? Or was that a different game? It was a fun Junior Reds trip anyway.

Reid ran full tilt screaming at the ref, who turned round just at the wrong time and Reid shoved him over. He probably didn't mean it but it DID look like he meant it. It was all to do with a Wayne Biggins goal that we thought didn't cross the line. In the last minute, Mark Stuart scored from the edge of the area but the goal was disallowed. 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Acab said:

I do remember this but have some of the details different in my head. The goalie was definitely John Dunn, and I think the goalscorer may have been Flanagan? Dunn did just larrup the ball as it was still moving as the ref had turned his back to run back to the halfway line thinking that a goal kick would take the normal 20 seconds or so to take.
    Do you remember John Dunn error vs First Division Sheffield Utd in the Cup when ref gave a corner and Dunn was furious at the decision and ran towards the ref near the corner flag to remonstrate, only for Alan Woodward to take a quick corner and Mick Jones nodded home for the winner.

CAFC deserved something from that game but we were mugged.

Dunn was a very good keeper, that aside.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

aliwibble said:

Simonsen said:

cafcfan said:

Reid ran full tilt screaming at the ref, who turned round just at the wrong time and Reid shoved him over. He probably didn't mean it but it DID look like he meant it. It was all to do with a Wayne Biggins goal that we thought didn't cross the line. In the last minute, Mark Stuart scored from the edge of the area but the goal was disallowed. 1-1 draw.
    Jim Melrose scored the disallowed goal, disallowed for a free kick to us on Melrose!