Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Rotherham | Sat 12 Sept | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Rotherham United
3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Keith Stroud (Hampshire)

Introduction
International Breaks… Can be a bit of a pest cant they, cant they?

The Football season starts with a bang, you win your first game, then the next, then the next and you find your team on a bit of run when suddenly, the International break jumps up in your path and bang, the form is gone and your team returns to league action a different side, you cant even buy a win!! – Of course you could turn the scenario on its head… You’ve started the season so badly you cant even purchase a draw, the International break jumps forwards and gives you CPR, all of a sudden you return from the break and it seems as though you’re supporting a different team from a few weeks ago… Relegation? Ha! We’re going up my friend.

After the first International break of the season, the Addicks return to league action having lost just the one match this season and have a 100% record at the Valley, their opponents: Rotherham United on the other hand have yet to win a match and their manager could be walking a fine line… A few weeks ago this match would have seemed pretty simple yet with injuries mounting, the break seemed to arrive at the right time and may have allowed the Addicks to regroup and get players back from the physios room, of course we may get the players back… But will we get the form?

The Opposition
Promoted from League One via the Play-Off two years ago… Rotherham made a good fight of survival and after being in a relegation scrap with our rivals Millwall and ex-Premier League side: Wigan Athletic; the Millers came out on top and earned themselves another bite at the Championship, here’s my low down on their summer and season thus far:

The Manager: Steve Evans has been in charged at the New York Stadium since 2012… As yet another Scottish Manager from Glasgow, he’s been around a bit, although mostly in the Non-League scene… Probably most famous for ‘contract irregularities’ whilst in charge at Boston United, eventually he had two spells at the Lincolnshire side before moving on to Crawley Town in 2007… Five years he would spend there before deserting them for fellow League Two side: Rotherham in 2012 gaining back to back promotions to the Championship in the process, as already mentioned though, he’s a man under pressure and could he be another man to lose his job after a visit to the Valley?

Pre-Season: One of Rotherham’s problems is they’ve failed to replace Ben Pringle who was noted for his crisp finishing whilst at Rotherham (See what I did there), their pre-season saw them stay in Britain with three matches in Scotland against Morton (3-0), Dundee (1-0) and Partick Thistle (1-1), of course like all other teams they had their matches against non-league opposition, with their most impressive result coming against German side: TSV Mainz (2-1).

This Season: Hasn’t been a brilliant start and hopefully the break hasn’t energised them… Just the one win so far this season, coming in the League Cup against Cambridge United (1-0) before losing in the second round to Norwich City, they have managed a draw in the league, albeit against promoted side: Preston North End (0-0), proping up the league, the Millers will need points and soon, if they’re not to succumb to second season syndrome.

Key Player
Thankfully for Rotherham they’ve got rather an impressive record against the Addicks and it was 1980 when they last tasted defeat at the Valley… Unfortunately it’s a bit difficult to pick a key player from the Rotherham ranks as I don’t know too much about their squad this season, there could have been plenty of reunions though, firstly had Lawrie Wilson remained at the Valley he would have been up against a side where he spent the end of last season on loan, whilst the Rotherham ranks include former Addicks in Greg Halford and Fraser Richardson.

Charlton Line-Up
I’m guessing there will be further concentre news tomorrow during Guy Luzon’s press day yet with Stephen Henderson nearing full training we could see a change in goal this weekend, as already mentioned there were a number of injuries before the break so it’ll remain questionable as to who has returned to fitness or whether it’s a game to far for some… One player who wont be involved will be Midfielder: Franck Moussa who finally made an appearance for our U21s in midweek after a 10-month lay off.

Pope
Solly – Bauer – Diarra – Fox
Gudmundsson – Kashi – Cousins – Bergdich
Makienok – Watt

Prediction
Charlton Athletic 3-0 Rotherham United

Comments

• Options
    Beware Mr Stroud. Loves to play with his yellow and red cards. 26 yellows and one red in 5 games this season. 183 yellows and 7 reds in 41 games last season which includes 2 yellows in the Blackburn cup game for Yoni Buyens.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    We should not be home to Doctor Fuckup with this one. 3-1 to us.
  • Options
    2 - 1 ring rusty but good enough.
  • Options

Playing team at the bottom

Everyone expects to win

Kids for a quid game

Can only mean one thing - 1 nil defeat.

There is hope. At least it isn't on live TV.
  • Options
    Can't see past a 0-5 defeat
  • Options

Can't see past a 0-5 defeat

Don't, I can still remember that 0-5 or 1-5 defeat to Rotherham.

I think Ken Craggs got sacked before the next game.
  • Options
    If we get the first goal we will win comfortabley.

If they get the first goal then it will be a very long afternoon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've missed some actual football to talk about.. This forum has missed so.easy actual football to talk about!
  • Options
    I assume Rothers will park the proverbial bus and present a challenge we've not encountered so far this season. Could be a frustrating day but I will go for a 2-0 home win.
  • Options
    2-0 us
  • Options
    Frustrating afternoon but we get the break thru late on and eventually win 2 - 0.

Bauer and Mak score from set pieces. Rotherham have a player sent off early on which makes for an even more defensive display. Guy and Evans clash on the touch line. Neither can understand what the other is saying anyway.

14,194 attendance. 603 Rotherham
  • Options
    Ba and kashi in centre and play cousins wide, tougher game than many on here suggesting but addicks to win 2-1
  • Options
    3-0 Evans to get sacked straight after.
  • Options
    If makienok and watt are fit and hungry with solly also fit we should be too strong for them and 3-1 I reckon. If any are still carrying knocks still much tighter but hoping we still scrape 1-0
  • Options

Frustrating afternoon but we get the break thru late on and eventually win 2 - 0.

Bauer and Mak score from set pieces. Rotherham have a player sent off early on which makes for an even more defensive display. Guy and Evans clash on the touch line. Neither can understand what the other is saying anyway.

14,194 attendance. 603 Rotherham

Sitting on the fence a bit there, Henry - we need detail, man - detail!

4-1 to the Addicks.
  • Options
    3-0 Charlton
  • Options
    Thank god all that Rooney and England crap is over wit
    Back to getting another 3 points
    Easy 3-1 win
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know what people are saying re: banana skins, taking Rotherham too lightly etc given their start. Not under Luzon. He'll be pissed off losing to Wolves. Under Powell and Peeters I could see us making a mess of this. Not now.
  • Options
    I hope the team are going to treat Rotherham with a little more respect.

Staying up last year was a great achievement and it means they do have some bottle. They may have been complacent at the start of the season, but if our attitude is not right on the day they could turn us over.

Could be a leader comes to the for in this game.
  • Options
    Here on the fence I'd say with Makienok feeding Watt for the full ninety, we will be good for a two or three goal run out. If we are sans Maki and Watt fails to be fed by the other supply lines then it's 1-1. Which would be a dire result for this fixture which MUST have been a three-pointer for Luzon et al when the fixtures came out in June.
  • Options

Comfortable home win 4-0.

Your usual well judged forecast might just be right this time.
  • Options
    If all our injured players (Moussa excepted) are fit and ready to go, then its 3-0 to the Addicks, if we are still suffering and there is no Mack or Watt then a hard fought 1-0. Match thread from 2 pm.
  • Options
    Without wanting to sound all Tony Mowbary about it, we've got to be beating teams like Rotherham. 3-0.
  • Options
    Potential for a decent win this, score early and it's 4-1 for me, with a lazy late goal for them.
  • Options
    Keith Stroud, another referee, like Mick Russell (who I think has retired from refereeing (thank god!)), Stroud is another ref who doesn't seem to like us. Remember the home loss to Ross McCormack in November 2013.
  • Options
    Banana skin, wouldn't be Charlton if we didn't look good all season then not turn up at home to the bottom side.

1-2 hope I'm proven wrong.