Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tribute Tomorrow

Comments

• Options
    Should emphasise that it is not something that has been arranged by the club per se, but we were asked to bring the family-led tribute to supporters' attention which we were more than happy to do.
  • Options

cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-peter-underwood-tribute-2681470.aspx?

don't get me wrong, nice thing to do but sets a precedent doesn't it?

I completely agree. I have sympathy for the chap's family but if this is not restricted to former players, for example, then what's to stop any fan asking for a round of applause when their relative dies.

Unless I'm missing something and this chap did play for us and it's not mentioned in the article.
  • Options

cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-peter-underwood-tribute-2681470.aspx?

don't get me wrong, nice thing to do but sets a precedent doesn't it?

I completely agree. I have sympathy for the chap's family but if this is not restricted to former players, for example, then what's to stop any fan asking for a round of applause when their relative dies.

Unless I'm missing something and this chap did play for us and it's not mentioned in the article.
    See my comment above KHA
  • Options
    I agree. No disrespect intended, but it seems a most peculiar decision, unless there is something I don't know about.

Why don't we have a tribute every home game ?

Surely, this is what the annual tribute is for ?
  • Options
    It still seems rather inappropriate to me. However, I shall say no more out of respect.
  • Options

It still seems rather inappropriate to me. However, I shall say no more out of respect.

Sorry you feel that way Covered End.
  • Options

I agree. No disrespect intended, but it seems a most peculiar decision, unless there is something I don't know about.

Why don't we have a tribute every home game ?

Surely, this is what the annual tribute is for ?

I think this event was one which stood out in particular as shown by the tributes shown on here at the time of Peter's passing, which, in the same vein, we don't see every time a supporter passes away.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/67797/addick-killed-in-america-rip-usofaddick/p7

Once again, we are not holding an official minute's applause, but there will be a large contingent of Peter's family and friends at The Valley tomorrow and if supporters wish to join them in the 11th minute then they may do so.
    assuming the Club won't be marking this themselves in the 11th minute it makes it slightly different then if it's just the family starting their own applause in the 11th minute but I'm not sure why it has been brought to the attention of the greater fanbase if so, still set's a precedent in my opinion.
  • Options
    Totally appreciate the situation surrounding this, but what would happen if you get two requests every home game from addicks who have lost people ? Surely this sets a precedent, you can't say yes to one and no to another.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

J BLOCK said:

Totally appreciate the situation surrounding this, but what would happen if you get two requests every home game from addicks who have lost people ? Surely this sets a precedent, you can't say yes to one and no to another.

I do understand the worry of setting a precedent, but in a situation such as this where a supporter lost his life in particularly tragic circumstances and has been brought to the nation's attention via widespread media at the time, I would hope this could be seen as an exceptional circumstance.

It was brought to our attention and we agreed to help the family out. It really is as simple as that.
    Olly,
    You've made your point.
    How about you leave it now, and show a bit of respect eh?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    did Ralph Milne use to wear number 11? Are the Club aware he passed away?
  • Options
    I think there is a wider issue about having a clearer policy on when, where and who related to tributes but I know Olly and Matt Baker are already speaking about that with the Fans Forum.

RIP Peter
  • Options

did Ralph Milne use to wear number 11? Are the Club aware he passed away?

Indeed. Almost a year to the day exactly since the poorly handled non-tribute to David Whyte as well.

Not a nice subject to discuss in this way, which is why the club has to make sure it gets these things 100% spot on.
  • Options
    and isn't this why we have the annual tribute? To avoid such issues. If nothing had been said by the Club it would have been a small group clapping in the 11th minute, paying their own tribute/respects.
  • Options

A rather touching and humanitarian gesture from the club towards a supporter's family who must be struggling to cope with their bereavement after such a terrible loss.

Well done Charlton Athletic for keeping the family ethos alive and well and remembering the beautiful game was not always about superstars, image rights, ego and money.

If you don't like it, feel it sets a dangerous precedent for any Tom Dick or Harry who might have tragically lost a family member or think it may violate some bureaucratic quota in the number of deceased supporters remembered in one season then don't join in.

but isn't that the point Grumpy. Next week Dick loses his brother Tom in tragic circumstances, contacts the Club and expects the same treatment next home game. Made a rod for their own back in my opinion.

• Options

A rather touching and humanitarian gesture from the club towards a supporter's family who must be struggling to cope with their bereavement after such a terrible loss.

Well done Charlton Athletic for keeping the family ethos alive and well and remembering the beautiful game was not always about superstars, image rights, ego and money.

If you don't like it, feel it sets a dangerous precedent for any Tom Dick or Harry who might have tragically lost a family member or think it may violate some bureaucratic quota in the number of deceased supporters remembered in one season then don't join in.

but isn't that the point Grumpy. Next week Dick loses his brother Tom in tragic circumstances, contacts the Club and expects the same treatment next home game. Made a rod for their own back in my opinion.

So the club put a couple of lines on their internet page saying "by the way in the x minute of the game the family of long time supporter Tom have organised a minutes applause". And if we lose another member of the Charlton family the next week and their folks are also organising a minutes applause in their honour then the club does the same again.

What's the big deal ? The Club haven't organised this, I agree that would set an unmanageable precedent.

Well done to the club and RIP to the deceased Addick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Won't hurt me to give a fellow Addick a minute's applause. R.I.P.
  • Options
    well id much rather this than a refugees welcome banner anytime

• Options
    Very difficult for the club this one.

So easy when approached to make the 'wrong decision', which i'm sure has happened many times in the past when the passing of former players, staff or supporters has occured, and hasn't been handled to the sufficient levels that what some supporters or family would expect. I can certainly think of examples.

At the end of the day, it is no real impact on anyone in the ground who either participate or don't, but by promoting it, it does set a very difficult precedent for the clubgoing forward on what is ultimately the most sensitive of issues, and what the annual day was really intended for.

My thoughts go out to Peter's family, and i truely hope they get something positive from the day.

RIP Peter
  • Options
    Is he the man who was pictured as a child with a Lego model of the East Stand back in the 90s?

R.I.P.
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    How is it inappropriate?
    Its a great gesture by the club to a fan who has passed on.

RIP Peter.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    As already mentioned will not hurt to clap but i would of thought a page memoriam in the programme would of sufficed .
    RIP Peter
  • Options
    these are the sorts of things that gain momentum on social media (twitter / facebook) using a #

to be fair to the club they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't when it comes to publicising it, personally I think they've not made a bit of a rod for their own back and possibly set a precedent.

it's a tough one
  • Options

Yes

Cheers. He was my age.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Greenie said:

How is it inappropriate?
    Its a great gesture by the club to a fan who has passed on.

RIP Peter.

Yes, it's a great gesture by the club, to a fan, who has passed on and I do not have an issue and will applaud.

However, this great gesture has not been promoted for any other fan's passing and not even for ex-players of the club, such as Ralph Milne, who passed away since the last home game. It is in that sense, I described the promotion as inappropriate.

Anyway, RIP Peter and I think this thread should be sunk, out of respect to Peter and his family.