Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tribute Tomorrow

2»

Comments

• Options

Greenie said:

How is it inappropriate?
    Its a great gesture by the club to a fan who has passed on.

RIP Peter.

Yes, it's a great gesture by the club, to a fan, who has passed on and I do not have an issue and will applaud.

However, this great gesture has not been promoted for any other fan's passing and not even for ex-players of the club, such as Ralph Milne, who passed away since the last home game. It is in that sense, I described the promotion as inappropriate.

Anyway, RIP Peter and I think this thread should be sunk.
    Sorry it has to be said, but if you think the club has behaved inappropriately then re-read your last (throwaway )sentence.
  • Options
    I can't believe this even needs discussing.

This whole incident really got to me when it happened.

I think it's a great touch from people and the club have done the correct thing to highlight it, so everyone can join in.
  • Options
    I'm not going to criticize the gesture, but I just hope the club make the crowd aware before the game that its going to happen. It will be quite awkward if in the 11th minute people everywhere are asking "what is this about?" in a bemused manner.

If you're gonna do something big like that, then make sure everyone fully knows the meaning of the gesture so that its treated properly.
  • Options
    I have no problems with tributes at matches.

That said I am surprised that there has been no recognition of "Long" John Hewie at a match.

I know he played back in the fifties and sixties so only the old gits like me will have watched him play but, other than Bartram and Peacock, he represented Charlton more than any other player.

I am probably in a minority of one I realise.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I have no problems with tributes at matches.

That said I am surprised that there has been no recognition of "Long" John Hewie at a match.

I know he played back in the fifties and sixties so only the old gits like me will have watched him play but, other than Bartram and Peacock, he represented Charlton more than any other player.

I am probably in a minority of one I realise.

I guess this highlights the difficulty. A player you fondly remember and would want to show that recognition via tribute say (as would I, even though it was way before my time). I've got no problem with a tribute to Peter, but as cafctom says, some awareness beforehand etc.

I'm sure other clubs have done the same to fans killed in tragic circumstances. Yes, where do you draw the line, but I welcome it.
  • Options
    I imagine there would have been a lot more criticism afterwards if the Club had said nothing and people wondered what was going on in 11th minute?

RIP Peter.
  • Options
    I'm astounded this is up for discussion.

RIP Peter.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    If we depersonalise the conversation here there are important issues to be discussed.
    Firstly public expressions of loss were once the preserve of a Sunday in November, the family announcements column and a nod to a passing cortege. Now we are confronted by bunches of ragged and decaying flowers left at the roadside or tied to a bench or a fence, ghost bikes, numerous minutes of applause and now fewer minutes of silence. We have the creation of guilt by omission as work is supposed to halt for an increasing number of national minutes of silence which the lads on the forklift missed or the class teacher remembered half way through and the kids were bemused by.
    The world is full of loss and grief. I have had my own and shared it with family and friends. Robotic reactions by the public to calls to participate in mass acts of remembrance therefore could be argued to be not only insincere but also oppressive in that you feel you must even if you don't want to. Are you sufficiently humble for Lee Rigby, have you remembered 7/7 properly? What about Deal barracks or Warrenpoint? Why not? Too long ago? How about the Shoreham air crash next year and an annual minute for Tunisia but not one for Alan Henning?
    The Diana hysteria is a classic example where private jokes shared in the pub were contrasted with public outrage if displays of homage were not sufficiently piteous. Would we better to remember privately and mean it rather than publicly out of fear of criticism?
    The second point is this. A personal one. My father was a bit of a character, by no means a paragon of virtue but I learnt a lot from him and I respected him. Indeed I loved the old( insert your own expletive if you knew him). There was a good turn out on the day and it has brought family and friends together in a way that has benefited us all. Including an annual get together for the family. But it means little to you dear reader and you'll have your own grief to bear in time if you haven't already. I don't expect you to share or even understand what I felt but I know he was worth more than a minute to me.
    No offence is intended to anyone here, I will not be in SE7 today to participate which I would of done in respectful silence. I don't agree with threads being sunk if they are about contentious issues. Depersonalise the topic and be thankful we have a forum for our views.
    COYR.
  • Options
    While I have every sympathy with the people and send them my sympathy and wish them peace in their hearts, I find this a very strange decision by the club. Every year we have dozens of supporters, season ticket holders and ex players die. Many in sad circumstances.
    It seems odd to highlight this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    I will applaud the memory of a fellow Addick and football man killed in tragic circumstances. We have fans die every week (given our demographic this could be increasing to daily) but not so many in Peter Underwoods' circumstances.
  • Options
    I don't think there should be anything during play. Before, during half time or after is the time to do it.
    I understand the need of the family to do something but they need to respect the game as well.
  • Options
    The only thing more depressing than the sad death is this fucking thread. If your hands are fit enough to be wringing themselves into oblivion over theoretical clapping precedents they'll probably survive today's minute of applause
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Can you imagine the feeding frenzy on this site if the club had not acknowledged this and the national press had got hold of the story? Roland and Katrien would have been crucified.

Cannot believe it is being debated.

RIP Peter. I really hope your family don't read this site.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Do people just ignore the facts before having a moan up????

It's not been organised by the club!!!!! The club are just highlighting something a group of fans have organised so that all are made aware of why there is applause in the 11th minute.

If you wanna remember other fans or players lost and you have enough support in doing so, I'm sure the club would once again highlight it.

It would be the same people moaning if there was clapping in the 11th minute today and they didn't know why.
  • Options
    Of all the things to moan about...
  • Options
    That went really well, and Rotherham fans were excellent.

RIP Peter
  • Options
    RIP Peter, nice touch by having his pic on the big screen aswell.

Like others have said, can't believe it was even debated.
  • Options

That went really well, and Rotherham fans were excellent.

RIP Peter

Agree good to see the Rotherham fans joining in.