Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your favourite flair players

edited September 2015 in General Charlton
One or two fans found TWWW's performance a bit frustrating yesterday which I can understand but he's the type of player who excites by taking players on and is worth the entrance fee alone when fully on his game. Just for a bit of fun who are your favourite flair players since you've been an Addick?

Here's mine by decade but for the newbies doesn't have to be;

60's Len Glover
70's Colin Powell
80's Alan Simonsen
90's Johnny Robinson
00's Claus Jensen
10's Tony Watt

Comments

• Options
    Would include Johann Gudmundsson in that list as well...

He did a lovely Cruyff turn on the half way line yesterday whilst also should have scored when he chipped the ball over one of the Defenders only to hit it over the bar
  • Options
    60's Len Glover
    70's Colin Powell
    80's Alan Simonsen
    90's Paul Mortimer(87-91 94-99)
    00's Claus Jensen
    10's Tony Watt
  • Options
    Mort's man city away. All you need to know.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Flair? I don't support Charlton to see flair. Shirtliff, Kishishev, Brown, Leaburn, Thatcher.

This is a Politics free zone Stig.

• Options
    60's Keith Peacock
    70's Arthur Horsfield
    80's Alan Simonsen (Paul Walsh if there was any sort of "had to play "x" matches stipulation)
    90's Robert Lee
    00's Claus Jensen
    10's Yann Kermogant
  • Options
    I loved Arthur Horsfield but don't remember much in the way of flair...just a flash of brylcream and hair as the ball crashed off his head into the back of the net
  • Options

I know he was not with us for long but Andy Reid had more flair than the trousers on a 1970s episode of Top of the Pops.
  • Options

I loved Arthur Horsfield but don't remember much in the way of flair...just a flash of brylcream and hair as the ball crashed off his head into the back of the net

I remember him more as the "intelligence" to Killer's brawn - a sort of forerunner to Yann - which is why I put him in there but do see where you are coming from. I originally selected Dick Tydeman for that era but, as someone who always stood behind the goal we were attacking at home, just had a more vivid memory of Arthur's influence on things. Equally, it might have been "Flash" - the centre forward and not the one that started as a left winger!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with Andy Reid & also liked Colin Walsh
  • Options

Don't think I ever would have described John Robinson as a player with flair. Blood, guts and hard graft

He was never afraid to get on the ball and didn't he go past opposition players then?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

@AddickAddict I didn't mean Ric Flair of WWE fame :wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    sam3110 said:

Scott Sinclair
    Kyel Reid
    Lloyd Sam
    Hameur Bouazza
    Lee Martin
    Danny Green
    Lee Cook
    Hogan Ephraim

Take yer pick!

Blimey I feel really sorry for you youngsters :wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    70's Colin Powell
    80's Alan Simonsen
    90's Paul Mortimer/ David Whyte
    00's paolo di canio/ Andy Reid
    10's Tony Watt/ Ricky Fuller
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    If flair was just dribbling ability,
    Then Tony Watt, Paul Mortimer and Claus Jensen,
    who were/are all one paced, but were mesmeric on the ball,
    plus the young Paul Walsh who had more pace than the previous 3
    but was as good with being blessed with magic feet.
    These 4 are my best exponents of the Dizard of the Wribble.
  • Options
    60's Ray Treacy
    70's Colin Powell, Mike Flanagan, Dick Tydeman
    80's Allan Simonson, Paul Walsh, David Madden
    90's Paul Mortimer, Robert Lee, Peter Garland
    00's Di Canio, Claus Jensen
    10's Kermorgant, Watt
  • Options
    All good shouts QA, David Madden is an interesting one, give us the low down.
  • Options
    1970s - Colin Powell
    1980s - Paul Walsh
    1990s - Paul Mortimer
    2000s - Claus Jensen
    2010s - Tony Watt

Of these, Colin Powell stands head and shoulders above the rest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:

Tall elegant midfielder who came from Arsenal. Could spray the ball beautifully and always seemed to have more time on the ball than any other player on the park. I thought he was pure class, but Lennie didn't unfortunately and he played far too little IMO. Our loss was Palace's gain and he went on to get them into the Premiership and an FA Cup final.
  • Options
    Paul Mortimer is the greatest dribbler in the twenty years I've been watching Charlton, though I think Gudmundsson is incredible too in that respect.

For general flair, besides dribbling, then my favorite is Kermorgant.
  • Options
    Len Glover great shimmy
    Mike Flanagan how did Theo spot him and Halesy?
    Colin Powell
    Paolo D C, Scott Parker and Claus Jensen sheer class
    Allan Simonsen
    Colin Walsh, John Humphrey and Morts
    Tony Watt and JBG
  • Options
    Suzi Quattro's 70's trousers had more flair than John Robinson. Bonkers to put him on flair list. Blood, thunder and moaning was what Robbo was about.

Morts has to be my favourite. Man City away, Everton away, Norwich away the list goes on.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Don't think I ever would have described John Robinson as a player with flair. Blood, guts and hard graft

He was never afraid to get on the ball and didn't he go past opposition players then?
    Well yeah, but that's a ridiculously broad interpretation of flair. By that definition Tony Hibbert is a flair player. Saw John Obi Mikel beat someone once, didn't mistake him for Rivaldo. Flair is that bit of panache and unexpected brilliance. A movement of the ball or the body that some players couldn't even think about pulling off. John Robinson was the opposite of this; you knew exactly what he was going to do every game. That was one of his strengths though. You knew what you were going to get with Robbo. Hard running, tracking back, shots on goal, total graft every single game. I loved him, he was one of my favourite players, but a flair player he was not
  • Options
    I'll add one from the fifties
    Sam Lawrie
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Tall elegant midfielder who came from Arsenal. Could spray the ball beautifully and always seemed to have more time on the ball than any other player on the park. I thought he was pure class, but Lennie didn't unfortunately and he played far too little IMO. Our loss was Palace's gain and he went on to get them into the Premiership and an FA Cup final.
    David Madden did look to have some talent in the 20 games he played for CAFC
    but other than 27 games for Palace when he was sub in the final and only got on for 3 minutes in the first game.
    In his whole 10 years career only every played 78 matches.

• Options
    Another from the 50s - Stuart Leary.
    For me Di Canio was the best, even if he was past his best.
  • Options
    Why do so many of you give Andy Reid so much credit? We paid him the big bucks to be the heart of our team, and we got relegated straight away. We then needed him to lead us back up, but he left by January. He scored 8 goals in a season and a half. I don't get it.