Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your favourite flair players

2»

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Why do so many of you give Andy Reid so much credit? We paid him the big bucks to be the heart of our team, and we got relegated straight away. We then needed him to lead us back up, but he left by January. He scored 8 goals in a season and a half. I don't get it.

I guess because he was one of the best passers to have played for the club in the modern era. He was capable of making the game look very easy as oppose to some subsequent midfielders who made the game look hard.
  • Options
    Carl Harris
  • Options
    When it comes to sheer skill, Paul Mortimer was the best I've seen. He could be going like a train, stop dead, change feet and pass the ball into the goal all in a fraction of a second.

Di Canio and the much abused Paul Walsh had a trick or two up their sleeves as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

RedChaser said:

Don't think I ever would have described John Robinson as a player with flair. Blood, guts and hard graft

He was never afraid to get on the ball and didn't he go past opposition players then?
    Well yeah, but that's a ridiculously broad interpretation of flair. By that definition Tony Hibbert is a flair player. Saw John Obi Mikel beat someone once, didn't mistake him for Rivaldo. Flair is that bit of panache and unexpected brilliance. A movement of the ball or the body that some players couldn't even think about pulling off. John Robinson was the opposite of this; you knew exactly what he was going to do every game. That was one of his strengths though. You knew what you were going to get with Robbo. Hard running, tracking back, shots on goal, total graft every single game. I loved him, he was one of my favourite players, but a flair player he was not
    Ok Gazza, it's all about opinions and you make some fair observations and as this is my thread I will exercise my right to swap Morts for JR in the 90's furthermore I'll probably have @oohaahmortimer bending my ear if I don't :wink:
  • Options
    Mark Stuart (although his running style had more mince than a pie at Xmas)
  • Options
    Martin Robinson was an exciting player for us and was part of our deadly attack back in the 70's and early 80's.
  • Options

Mark Stuart (although his running style had more mince than a pie at Xmas)

Ha, heard a lot of fans referring to him as 'poser' when he played, I liked his contribution to the cause though.
  • Options
    Surprised no one mentioned Carl Harris.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

Surprised no one mentioned Carl Harris.

look six comments above
  • Options
    Had a chat with Mark Stuart at London Bridge after training
    when he was getting the train back to West London where he lived.
    came across as a good guy who was moving nearer the Training ground.
    Mark said he was getting the keys the following week.
    A month later we sold him to Plymouth !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Madden absolutely bossed the midfield against Spurs superstars in a cup run. Morts is my all time favourite, should have graced a higher stage but for injuries. Had so much in his locker. Passing, dribbling, shot, arriving late at far post. Looked consumate quality playing CH for ressies also.

David Whyte was a sad waste of talent. Surprised no shout for Lisbie whose skill never quite got showcased in lone striker role for Curbs.
  • Options
    Outside of Charlton, there is some evidence that Arsenal had flare players back in the day.

• Options
    edited September 2015

Outside of Charlton, there is some evidence that Arsenal had flare players back in the day.

Goonershite on this thread! Almost worth a flag that Arthur however I'm in a lighthearted mood, have a lol :wink: can you name them? I'll start off with David O'Leary far left. far right is easy as well :-0
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Frank Stapleton far right , Graham Rix second from the left.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Very good Beds, and Rix second from left I reckon as well.
  • Options
    I think the third one is Ross ( surname) but i can't remember his first name.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Why do so many of you give Andy Reid so much credit? We paid him the big bucks to be the heart of our team, and we got relegated straight away. We then needed him to lead us back up, but he left by January. He scored 8 goals in a season and a half. I don't get it.

so reason we went down was solely andy reids? nothing to do with the pile of shite that elephant man dowie signed then.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    This guy you mean;
    Trevor, ended up at Everton, great shout.
  • Options
    That's the one.