Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fred Lucas RIP

edited September 2015 in General Charlton
Sadly passed away today R.I.P.

Comments

• Options
    Sad news, remember seeing him play at left half (number 6 shirt) in the 60's. RIP Fred.
  • Options
    R.I.P Fred
  • Options
    remember him well
    RIP Fred
  • Options
    Very sad.

I watched him play in my first season of supporting the Club. A balding inside forward then a midfielder in the modern vernacular.

I believe his grandson posts or has posted on here.

RIP Fred and condolences to your grandson and family if they see this.
  • Options
    went from us to Palace if I remember .. all is forgiven R I P
  • Options
    One of my favourite players, I remember him scoring in the last match of the 57 - 58? season when we had to beat Blackburn to return to division one; sadly we lost 4-3? and were consigned to another season in division 2.
  • Options
    I remember that game RIP FRED
  • Options
    edited September 2015

One of my favourite players, I remember him scoring in the last match of the 57 - 58? season when we had to beat Blackburn to return to division one; sadly we lost 4-3? and were consigned to another season in division 2.

Indeed it was and we did lose 3-4. Only needed a draw to go up though and Blackburn leapfrogged us to go up with West Ham :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Before my time, think he came from Erith, I've met a few people in the area who knew him back in the day.

Apparently he got the assist for the winning goal in the 7-6 game - very few people will ever do that I suspect.

RIP
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Another from my autograph book has passed on......R.I.P. There was a newspaper report around 1960 which read.....then Fred Lucas took on the ball waited for the lace to turn around and slid it under the oncoming goalkeeper....
  • Options

went from us to Palace if I remember .. all is forgiven R I P

Quite a few went to Palace in those days....Sewell, Townsend, Werge, and we got a few back.....Holton, Burridge, amongst others

• Options
    RIP Fred
  • Options
    RIP

Not sure Burridge ever played for us - I know he holds the record for most League teams
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

RIP

Not sure Burridge ever played for us - I know he holds the record for most League teams

He did. I remember watching him. There was him and Brian Whitehouse who arrived from Palace around the same time.

Admittedly neither of them played many games.
  • Options
    My mistake, I'm thinking of a different Burridge
  • Options
    Addickted said:

The keeper maybe?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I'm guessing you're thinking of the goalkeeper.
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    In the days when a squad was nearer 11 than 22, Fred was able to fill in at wing half or inside forward when there were injuries. I seem to remember him breaking his collar bone and being in agony in one game. A steady old school player who never let the side down. RIP.
  • Options
    Sad to hear this news. He will always be in my memories as a member of the 7-6 winning team against Hudds in 1957.
    A very nice man.
    RIP Freddie.
  • Options
    Hard working player - his industry always impressed along with his seeming pleasure to be simply out there and being involved. Believe too that Fred excelled at cricket and think he made a couple of appearances for Kent CCC.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    was a friend on my late Mum and Uncle in his early days.

RIP