Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Volkswagen

Comments

• Options
    Now, remind me, how does Roland make his money......
  • Options
    Not precisely the same, but has resonance of the Ford Pinto scandal.
    Big business effectively putting profit before moral considerations.
    We have voted in a government that is a friend of big business, indeed the loosening of support for solar energy, whilst boosting the hopes of frackers, and now nuclear power companies is a bit of a case in point.
    It is all well and good having 'a strong economy first so we can then pay for schools and hospitals' ©Tories, but as well as the price we pay there ought to be consideration of value and values.
  • Options
    I'm Fuming.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I'm Fuming.

We don't wish to know that, kindly leave the stage...
  • Options
    The future is V W .. very wobbly
  • Options
    or W V .. wery vobbly
  • Options
    I am reading that something like 7,000 deaths a year are attributed to the pollution caused by diesel cars in the UK! In the US only 3% of cars are diesel. In Europe it is 52%.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    seth plum said:

Not precisely the same, but has resonance of the Ford Pinto scandal.
    Big business effectively putting profit before moral considerations.
    We have voted in a government that is a friend of big business, indeed the loosening of support for solar energy, whilst boosting the hopes of frackers, and now nuclear power companies is a bit of a case in point.
    It is all well and good having 'a strong economy first so we can then pay for schools and hospitals' ©Tories, but as well as the price we pay there ought to be consideration of value and values.

And the Firestone one that also involved Ford in the states. Only that one ended with nasty accidents.
  • Options

The more I read of this story the more it shocks. It reminds me how things have gone wrong in the modern world. The reason for the emission rules are to save lives. VW is one of the last companies you would imagine would cheat on something like that. Is it a metaphor for our capitalist system where lives and people no longer matter and all that does is money.

Then we have the story in the Metro this morning about the American speculator who bought a company with a drugs license and put up the price of an important AIDS drug from $9 to $500. His reaction to criticism was defensive – I mean he didn’t do anything illegal did he, and what is wrong with trying to make money. We have another thread that has been going on and on about the Olympic stadium deal where tax payers are effectively putting money into the pockets of a couple of rich businessmen – public money! The public are trained to foam at the mouth when a benefits cheat is exposed or at the talk of immigrants, but there is an attitude of well done to them when businessmen find a way to legally fleece money from the public to their advantage!

When a republican political leader chooses not to sing the national anthem. Everybody gets their knickers in a twist. People don’t have to agree with him, but surely they should not condemn a person being true to himself. He will sing the words next time, but won’t mean them! Is that better? It is depressing how everything seems so mixed up in the world. I need a coffee – Starbucks!!!! I am a capitalist by the way - but we need to find a different more caring path on the same road!

And the cost of making each pill is $1. However, the backlash and outrage he suffered on social media has forced him to go on NBC last night and say he has abandoned plans to increase it to $500.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Given that market for 2nd hand VWs will drop through the floor as a result of this deception and dishonesty by VW - will anyone who now owns a VW/Audi/Bugatti be able to claim compensation?
  • Options
    What about compensation for the families of the 7,000 people being killed each year by emissions from diesel cars?
  • Options
    sm said:

Given that market for 2nd hand VWs will drop through the floor as a result of this deception and dishonesty by VW - will anyone who now owns a VW/Audi/Bugatti be able to claim compensation?

No, but I reckon I could pick up a Veyron on the cheap now!

• Options
    sm said:

Not sure I see an obvious link between the scandal and the 2nd hand valuations of their cars.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

What about compensation for the families of the 7,000 people being killed each year by emissions from diesel cars?

I'm sure some lawyer, somewhere, will give it a go.

But look at these figures I've harvested from a London Assembly report:

Diesel engine road vehicles account for 40% of London's NOX emissions and a similar figure for other pollutants. Where does the other 60% come from? Well, 7% of the total comes from domestic gas consumption. Do you have a gas boiler? Will you be sending my bereaved family a cheque by way of compensation when I snuff it?

Of the rest, 9% from non-domestic gas use, 7% from industry, 7% from ground-based aviation (whatever that means) and a staggering 14% from non-road mobile machinery (whatever they are).

Meanwhile from road transport, diesel cars make up 11% of the total, while 17% comes from trucks and 8% from TfL buses. (Good luck suing TfL!)

Then of course the individuals most effected already tend towards having an underlying health issue. It's likely that the 7,000 die a little earlier than they otherwise would but that they were going to die anyway.

How do you do the sums?

Don't like nasty dirty trucks on the road - then stop buying stuff - simples.

Edited to add: Meanwhile the road network is inadequate and prevents vehicles from moving along at their most economical and least polluting speed rather than sitting in queues spewing out crap. We have empty bus lanes, mis-timed traffic lights, priority to cyclists and 20mph zones all contributing. And then there's the ridiculous humps and "traffic calming" measures which force unnecessary braking and acceleration. So, you could argue that the politicians inability to provide us with a decent, safe road network is to blame.
  • Options
    Ground-based aviation is planes taxiing around airports (which is a massively inefficient use of jet engines, hence the use of tugs where possible and talk of building electric motors into landing gear) plus possibly airport support and services vehicles (tugs, motorised stairs, baggage trains, etc.)

Non-road mobile machinery will be generators, diggers, farm equipment, etc.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Diesel engine road vehicles account for 40% of London's NOX emissions and a similar figure for other pollutants. Where does the other 60% come from? Well, 7% of the total comes from domestic gas consumption. Do you have a gas boiler? Will you be sending my bereaved family a cheque by way of compensation when I snuff it?

Of the rest, 9% from non-domestic gas use, 7% from industry, 7% from ground-based aviation (whatever that means) and a staggering 14% from non-road mobile machinery (whatever they are).

Meanwhile from road transport, diesel cars make up 11% of the total, while 17% comes from trucks and 8% from TfL buses. (Good luck suing TfL!)

Then of course the individuals most effected already tend towards having an underlying health issue. It's likely that the 7,000 die a little earlier than they otherwise would but that they were going to die anyway.

How do you do the sums?

Edited to add: Meanwhile the road network is inadequate and prevents vehicles from moving along at their most economical and least polluting speed rather than sitting in queues spewing out crap. We have empty bus lanes, mis-timed traffic lights, priority to cyclists and 20mph zones all contributing. And then there's the ridiculous humps and "traffic calming" measures which force unnecessary braking and acceleration. So, you could argue that the politicians inability to provide us with a decent, safe road network is to blame.
    Walking along Euston Road now breathing NOX emissions. I guarantee none is coming from mine or anyone else boiler.

You are complaining about empty bus lanes? But these are for people who want to get about London using multi passenger vehicles rather than in single person high performance high polluting German diesel cars. I think they should increase the number of bus lanes and ban all diesel cars from the 6 square miles of central London.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

How do you do the sums?

Walking along Euston Road now breathing NOX emissions. I guarantee none is coming from mine or anyone else boiler.

Well, I'd hope not it's still summer and no one has them turned on! So, guess what their contribution is in the winter?
  • Options

cafcfan said:

How do you do the sums?

You are complaining about empty bus lanes? But these are for people who want to get about London using multi passenger vehicles rather than in single person high performance high polluting German diesel cars. I think they should increase the number of bus lanes and ban all diesel cars from the 6 square miles of central London.
    Despite what they say Red, all women fart.
  • Options

Why are diesel cars so popular in Europe?

Because politicians heavily encouraged their use! Diesels produce less CO2, hence were seen as a very good thing. Buy a diesel car and use less fuel, produce less CO2, pay less tax etc.

The car (and commercial vehicle) manufacturers have been under massive pressure to reduce CO2 emissions, but the rise in NOx has been a side effect. Oxford Street, for example, has no cars but seen NOx rise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Why are diesel cars so popular in Europe?

Because politicians heavily encouraged their use! Diesels produce less CO2, hence were seen as a very good thing. Buy a diesel car and use less fuel, produce less CO2, pay less tax etc.

The car (and commercial vehicle) manufacturers have been under massive pressure to reduce CO2 emissions, but the rise in NOx has been a side effect. Oxford Street, for example, has no cars but seen NOx rise.
    It's also because they're nice to drive (more 'lazy' power to use a non-technical term).
  • Options
    Does this effect 2013 VW golf's?
  • Options
    Fascinating program about the history of the Diesel engine on BBC Four iPlayer Called Timeshift.
  • Options
    Sadly RD invested our remaining transfer budget in VW shares!
  • Options
    BMW under scrutiny also.
  • Options
    An AA report in 2013 was pointing out that actual fuel consumption figures were over 20% worse than official figures while in 2001 they were only 8% worse. It was suggesting the problem was down to the rolling road test not reflecting modern road and driving conditions.

It also said that for some unexplained reason the better the official CO2 and fuel consumption the greater the discrepancy.

Well all is now clear and it seems likely they have all been at it. The technology could not have remained a secret within VW, like in F1, new secret technology gets shared as technical staff move between different companies. If BMW or Mercedes learned what VW were doing, would they blow the whistle or join the club.

I'm looking at new cars at the moment and getting confused. I think diesel cars will soon get clobbered from every angle so thinking petrol engines a safer bet. Also what's going to happen to new car prices let alone used car prices as official figures get re-calibrated. I'm going to do nothing for at least three months, others might feel the same and the car market could get pretty dislocated.
  • Options
    I'm with you Dippy - was all set to buy a diesel but having a re-think now.
  • Options
    Diesel all the way.
    Much more economical than petrol.