Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Volkswagen

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2015
    The Swiss have banned the sale of VW diesel cars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34365794
  • Options
    What is confusing me is that BOSCH told VW not to use the device they sold them because it was illegal?!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2015

What is confusing me is that BOSCH told VW not to use the device they sold them because it was illegal?!!!!!!!

It's not the component per se, it's a combination of the component and the manipulated software controlling it. The so-called "defeat device" is a bit of a misnomer really.
  • Options
    my brother has just traded his Diesel VW for a Tesla Model S P85D, that's a result right there
  • Options
    I see - and BOSCH didn't have anything to do with the software
  • Options
    Rothko said:

my brother has just traded his Diesel VW for a Tesla Model S P85D, that's a result right there

I'll wait and see what VW offers owners before I trade mine. I'd rather keep it unless the "fix" hurts the economy and/or performance.
  • Options

I see - and BOSCH didn't have anything to do with the software

I think it's their software but VW manipulated it. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "my car's been chipped"!
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking this only affects 2.0 litre engines? I've got a 2012 Seat Leon 1.6 tdi and am wondering whether the engine has this issue.

Can't find anything definitive online.
  • Options
    This is a can of worms alright and whilst nothing has been said it is certain that this was discovered by another car company, almost certainly a U.S. Manufacturer, and they have gone to the U.S. Government with the data. All car manufacturers examine their competition and strip the cars bare to see what's what and this must be the logical answer as to how this came out.

Interestingly I had a 2009 Audi A4 diesel and although I really liked it I had some problems with the particulate filter over the three years I had it and now makes me wonder if the car was running dirtier than the emission data suggested.

I wonder where it will end if VAG have been fiddling their emission data then as others have said in this country HMRC will probably be looking at it as will the MOT this could close VAG down potentially.

As for what to buy the last couple of days I have been in Germany driving an Audi A3 with a petrol engine and it was absolutely blinding I did 300+km and when I filled it up to give it back to the car hire firm I only had to put 20 Euro's of fuel in. The bloke at SIXT told me they are as efficient as diesel and cheaper to fix.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How did V W think that they'd get away with this in the long term ? .. I suppose it' a matter of big and popular company arrogance... a touch of the Elliott Ness's ... The Untouchables
  • Options
    This is nothing new.
    Here's a bit of previous:-

1973, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) took VW to court over a "defeat device" that cut out pollution controls at low temperatures. $120,000 fine for 25,000 rogue vehicles, but no admission of guilt.
    1995, the EPA found General Motors had rigged Cadillacs to switch off pollution controls when the aircon ran. $45 million fine.
    1998, Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Mack, Navistar, Renault, and Volvo paid over $1 billion to settle when they were found to be doing what VW is now accused of.
    1998, Honda fined $267 million by EPA for defeat devices.
    1998, Ford fined $7.8 million for the same trick.
    2014, Hyundai and Kia were fined $350 million for claiming overstated fuel economy figures.
    2014, Ford had to give payments to 200,000 customers, ranging from $200 to $1050 for fuel efficiency estimate "errors".
  • Options

Am I right in thinking this only affects 2.0 litre engines? I've got a 2012 Seat Leon 1.6 tdi and am wondering whether the engine has this issue.

Can't find anything definitive online.

Possibly not, the 2.0L engine is the one VW sold in the US, the full extent of the cover up has yet to fully come out yet
  • Options
    Where there's blame, there's a claim.

"Have you been mis-sold TDi?"
  • Options
    Head of VW in USA blames it on two software engineers and no one at board level knew about it.
  • Options

Head of VW in USA blames it on two software engineers and no one at board level knew about it.

They've gone higher than I expected - I thought they would blame a night cleaner.
  • Options

Right. Bosch knew about it, as did a technician. Merkel's government knew about it. It's like corruption at FIFA. If the board didn't know about it, then it seems they're not competent.

Hard to believe that "two software engineers" would be able to put a device in every car without anyone else knowing. Maybe VW just lets random employees do whatever they want to the car design.

I was in a Volkswagen group museum/concept showroom thing today. The type where they have a a few cars for people to photograph and various bits and pieces about how they care about the environment and the future, and there's no direct selling. Many of the cars had remarks about their "excellent" emissions ratings. There was a wall with suggestions for future development (I think the slogan was "Think Now"). Most people seemed to think VW should give them free Bugattis. None seemed to mention cheating in emissions tests...
  • Options
    Have just received two credit cards to the tune of $1000 in a "Goodwill Package" from VW, to "restore my trust". Nice, right before Christmas.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Have just received two credit cards to the tune of $1000 in a "Goodwill Package" from VW, to "restore my trust". Nice, right before Christmas.

Has your trust been restored enough by this or do think they will need to restore a little harder?
  • Options

limeygent said:

Has your trust been restored enough by this or do think they will need to restore a little harder?
    They could try a little harder, maybe do a straight swap for a newer model?