Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our time will come

I remember when we beat Palace at Selhurst when they were facing the possibility of being wound up.
Massive support from Charlton. Kinsella as captain. We beat them and won what is now the Championship that season.

They went through Administration twice leaving local companies with huge losses as they paid next to nothing back. They scraped into
the Premier League at a good time but still have never won a major trophy in their 110 year history.

Yes, they hammered us with some soft penalties and a sending off - without those maybe we would have lost 2-1.

Palace can have their day. Charlton will be back, history says so.

Comments

• Options
    Not any time soon
  • Options
    About 25 years and counting.......
  • Options
    Nice post mate. And good sentiments to express at a time when we are all f****d off.

Trouble is Palace are having their good run at a time when the Premier League is awash with money. Provided they don't pi*s the money away, they can carry on strengthening their squad and cementing their place in the Premiership.

At the same time, Roland keeps his hands in his pockets and we turn up for a game we all want to win with a pitifully poor team.

Sadly, it may be a good few years before the wheels of fortune turn in our direction again.

• Options
    They should of gone bust twice in the last few years. They have owed millions to companies but got away with it and now look at them.
    The money that is now is the premiership means that class gap should continue
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    For me , tonight didn't really hurt, yeah of course I wanted to win, but seeing that Palace numpty behind the goal getting all ragey over nothing much was priceless, go and see a doctor mate and get your blood pressure looked at.

And yes, things go round in circles, don't get too billy big boots when you're at the top, cos your going to get a good kicking when you come back down.
  • Options
    That starting line-up looked destined to fail. It must have been one of our least experienced forward lines ever but things will turn eventually. Portsmouth and Sheffield United, among others, would love to be in our position.
  • Options
    Well we can write it off for as many years as Roland is in charge.. can't put in a penny and expect a pound back. And before academy investment etc is mentioned, I can name a few players sales who will have covered that cost and more.

Hopefully we get at least something to cheer about in the next 10 years.. even a cup semi-final or something, anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The sport was very different back in 2000. The gap between the Prem sides and the likes of us is now wider than ever. Palace have players like Cabaye for crying out loud, whilst we're playing a 17 year old with no league goals to his name up front as we have little else to work with.

If Palace stay in the PL for another few more years whilst we stay in the Championship then there is every chance that they will race clear as a club permanently. They've timed their success perfectly.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

The sport was very different back in 2000. The gap between the Prem sides and the likes of us is now wider than ever. Palace have players like Cabaye for crying out loud, whilst we're playing a 17 year old with no league goals to his name up front as we have little else to work with.

If Palace stay in the PL for another few more years whilst we stay in the Championship then there is every chance that they will race clear as a club permanently. They've timed their success perfectly.

Im not so sure, you only have to have one bad prem season and you could get dumped back into the champ, even from a seemingly solid position of a few years with PL status. What makes me think that? Well, us obviously, but more recently Wigan, Blackburn, Fulham, Bolton, Leeds....

Football clubs run in cycles, Palarse are having their time in the sun, we had ours in the 00s. What goes around comes around.
  • Options
    You're right - that is if they do indeed go down. So far they are showing the signs that they could be the 'next' Southampton in that they challenge the top 8 - so I don't think relegation will dawn on them just yet unfortunately.
  • Options
    They would have said this about us when we were in the prem for years... everyone always says this ... Fulham being in the Europa and beating juventus being bought for hundreds of millions... one poor season or even half a season and the wheels come off and , like that, you are screwed... of course palace's time will come again and they will fall just like we did, bolton, wolves, fulham, everyone really...

we had a great chance of staying up permanantly but we blew it, just like they will...
  • Options
    There's a lot more money involved now, especially next season with the new TV deal. Palace could finish with 0 points next season and -250 goal difference and still bank £150m.
  • Options
    That's what they said when we were involved... it's all relative...

Clubs come down with huge parachute payements and still fall like stones off a cliff...

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:

cafctom said:

Im not so sure, you only have to have one bad prem season and you could get dumped back into the champ, even from a seemingly solid position of a few years with PL status. What makes me think that? Well, us obviously, but more recently Wigan, Blackburn, Fulham, Bolton, Leeds....

Football clubs run in cycles, Palarse are having their time in the sun, we had ours in the 00s. What goes around comes around.
    The sport was very different not only in 2000 but it has evolved so much more even since 2007.

When we were relegated we had to sell players to balance the books. If Palace were to cock it up and get relegated either this or next season they would still probably be able to retain there squad and have a decent budget to spend and not have to sell anybody to balance the books.

Sadly I agree they have timed there run to perfection, they got a lot of luck to get promoted in the first place but they have overtaken the likes of Villa and Sunderland regular strugglers in the Premier League and really can't see them going down any time soon. Our only hope is if Pardew blows a season's budget on a series of flop signings on big money.

But when that day does come and we rise above Palace once more I look forward to seeing if they still call themselves 'the pride of South London'.

One thing we all need to remember is that a club's history runs back to the day it was formed, not just 3 or 4 seasons in the sunlight of the Premier League.
  • Options
    Cabaye would not come down with them... Bolasie would get snapped up... it would be very similar to us when we came down the second time... in 2007 people would be saying its not like it was in 2000... and so it goes on...
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

Cabaye would not come down with them... Bolasie would get snapped up... it would be very similar to us when we came down the second time... in 2007 people would be saying its not like it was in 2000... and so it goes on...

Money talks...everybody said Charlie Austin would be gone in the August window but he's still at QPR. Cabaye or Bolasie would only move on if either player really wanted to leave rather than being forced to sell to balance the books which is the difference between 2007 and 2016.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's a fair point regarding Austin...

• Options
    The Premiership is a gold mine but it guarantees nothing for most clubs. There are only 20 teams in it. Let's say 5 of those have almost no chance of being relegated and 3 or 4 more have a low chance of being relegated. That leaves not much better than 3 from 11 for the chop each year. That's not a very secure existence. Further, it's a less and less attractive gold mine for Championship clubs as the leap is so big - not that it seems to stop so many Championship clubs going for gold. Forget history, maybe we are really more of a club that is between 30th and 50th in the pecking order for the foreseeable future and hence lower Championship or upper League One is our level.
  • Options
    Palace will probably finish in the top 10 this season, Cabaye is only at Palace because of Pardew, my hope is He''ll persuade the board to overspend after having s good season, and it to all blow up in 2 years time, get sacked and take them down with a bang, hopefully by then Roland will have sorted us out, and we'll take their place in the Prem, at the moment we're miles away from them.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Palace will probably finish in the top 10 this season, Cabaye is only at Palace because of Pardew, my hope is He''ll persuade the board to overspend after having s good season, and it to all blow up in 2 years time, get sacked and take them down with a bang, hopefully by then Roland will have sorted us out, and we'll take their place in the Prem, at the moment we're miles away from them.

Very upbeat, MIA, but you didn't need to bring us back down to earth with the 'miles away from them' bit. :smiley:
  • Options

mascot88 said:

Money talks...everybody said Charlie Austin would be gone in the August window but he's still at QPR. Cabaye or Bolasie would only move on if either player really wanted to leave rather than being forced to sell to balance the books which is the difference between 2007 and 2016.
    Austin is English though so will go for silly money whilst Cabaye being European will probably refuse to play for them.

Give him a few years and I'm sure he'll be off again when someone like Arsenal come calling
  • Options
    Given how much football has changed in the last 15/20 years I'm not sure how much history can be relied on for a benchmark. The gulf in wealth between the top 20/22 clubs is pretty soon going to be fairly insurmountable (barring a few Bournemouth style surprises every now and then) and each year that passes it seems less and less likely that we'll be part of that group.
  • Options
    It could go either way for palace.

They could continue building on what they currently have every year and keep improving in all areas, gradually becoming a more attractive club for and even better players to be apart of. They have already established themselves as a premier club and going nowhere any time soon.

Or, the wheels will fall off the hype as they think too highly of themselves and discover they are one trick ponies, and the pardew effect has wasted away and he now has to start making excuses.
    I can't see palace being consistent enough to produce the impressive victories they have done, year after year.
    They are going to get an increasing amount of respect. Teams will take them a lot more seriously and prepare better against them.
    They won a high number of away games last season based on a fresh element of surprise where they all of a sudden used their talented players well, and discovered they can hurt other teams.
  • Options
    Like the Slater/Jimenez days,this whole Duchatalet thing puzzles me more and more?
    I just don't get what he's in this for?
  • Options
    The other thing to consider is if Palace do improve , their players will want away , as we and many other smaller clubs well know.
  • Options
    Palace might come down eventually but I'm less and less convinced we'll ever be more than mid-table Championship at best with RD in control. I don't think he cares if we get there or not to be honest.