Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our time will come

2»

Comments

• Options
    unless you are Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, or Liverpool there is a chance you can get relegated from the PL. Everton has flirted with it occasionally, Newcastle are now. Then either your best players leave or they stick around on long, expensive contracts whilst not giving a stuff and you can end up going backwards, even with parachute payments. That is why football is so great. Unless you are one of the 'big' five nothing is guaranteed. I can't see Palace still being there in 15 years time without having at some point been relegated.
  • Options
    Godstone said:

That starting line-up looked destined to fail. It must have been one of our least experienced forward lines ever but things will turn eventually. Portsmouth and Sheffield United, among others, would love to be in our position.

Living where I do I know a lot of pompey fans and they would never admit to that! But they are fan owned so at least they cant moan about twatty foreign owners. Coincidentally my brother lives a stones throw from Brammal Lane and their fans would admit to wanting to be in our place.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

cafctom said:

The sport was very different back in 2000. The gap between the Prem sides and the likes of us is now wider than ever. Palace have players like Cabaye for crying out loud, whilst we're playing a 17 year old with no league goals to his name up front as we have little else to work with.

If Palace stay in the PL for another few more years whilst we stay in the Championship then there is every chance that they will race clear as a club permanently. They've timed their success perfectly.

Im not so sure, you only have to have one bad prem season and you could get dumped back into the champ, even from a seemingly solid position of a few years with PL status. What makes me think that? Well, us obviously, but more recently Wigan, Blackburn, Fulham, Bolton, Leeds....

Football clubs run in cycles, Palarse are having their time in the sun, we had ours in the 00s. What goes around comes around.
    Excellent post sir. And while I was there that day in early 2000 being a cocky twat giving it plenty of "We'll never play you again" and "bye bye to the nationwide" I can certainly see now that the roles have been reversed. Like it or not we are number two in south london but I hope one day we may challenge again. Like you say, it all comes in cycles, even clubs like Man City and Chelsea were in the old second division in my lifetime which is probably hard to believe for teenagers now!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    drewman said:

CAFCTrev said:

cafctom said:

The sport was very different back in 2000. The gap between the Prem sides and the likes of us is now wider than ever. Palace have players like Cabaye for crying out loud, whilst we're playing a 17 year old with no league goals to his name up front as we have little else to work with.

If Palace stay in the PL for another few more years whilst we stay in the Championship then there is every chance that they will race clear as a club permanently. They've timed their success perfectly.

Im not so sure, you only have to have one bad prem season and you could get dumped back into the champ, even from a seemingly solid position of a few years with PL status. What makes me think that? Well, us obviously, but more recently Wigan, Blackburn, Fulham, Bolton, Leeds....

Football clubs run in cycles, Palarse are having their time in the sun, we had ours in the 00s. What goes around comes around.
    Excellent post sir. And while I was there that day in early 2000 being a cocky twat giving it plenty of "We'll never play you again" and "bye bye to the nationwide" I can certainly see now that the roles have been reversed. Like it or not we are number two in south london but I hope one day we may challenge again. Like you say, it all comes in cycles, even clubs like Man City and Chelsea were in the old second division in my lifetime which is probably hard to believe for teenagers now!
    As were Man Utd (in my lifetime anyway!!).
  • Options

Palace might come down eventually but I'm less and less convinced we'll ever be more than mid-table Championship at best with RD in control. I don't think he cares if we get there or not to be honest.

Think I made this point in a post a year or so ago and was laughed at.
  • Options
    drewman said:

Palace might come down eventually but I'm less and less convinced we'll ever be more than mid-table Championship at best with RD in control. I don't think he cares if we get there or not to be honest.

Think I made this point in a post a year or so ago and was laughed at.
    Likewise.
  • Options
    "What goes around comes around"

Yep. Exactly what that orange greaseball said to our cocky chairman when he started to lose the plot.

"being a cocky twat giving it plenty of "We'll never play you again"

I did hear this being sung on the radio, along with "Shalala etc Who's fucking laughing now?" and "Let's all laugh at Charlton".

Genuinely glad I didn't go - can't disagree the way our club has been run for the last 10 years is a joke. And yes the number of tools has risen and the support has got worse. Then again I suppose we are allowed to be bitter with one good season (in the third division) in TEN YEARS!!!

Until the current owner changes, nothing will change, we'll continue being pissed on.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Bang on the money - unfortunately we exited the Premier League just as the really, really big money arrived.

• Options
    well management has an awful lot to do with any successful organisation ...just look at the big nosed palace chairman when he is being interviewed (all too often for my liking ) on the sports channels ,he seems a decent level headed,shrewd, sensible ,approachable sort of guy ...supporter of the club ,in touch with the supporters

where as we have a young foreign lawyer with no previous experience of managing a football club as our mouthpiece .

Until RD moves on we will continue to wallow in our mire of medicrioty
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:

well management has an awful lot to do with any successful organisation ...just look at the big nosed palace chairman when he is being interviewed (all too often for my liking ) on the sports channels ,he seems a decent level headed,shrewd, sensible ,approachable sort of guy ...supporter of the club ,in touch with the supporters

where as we have a young foreign lawyer with no previous experience of managing a football club as our mouthpiece .

Until RD moves on we will continue to wallow in our mire of medicrioty

Sad, but very very true.
  • Options
    How many weeks has Roland got left? I haven't been keeping count.
  • Options
    Dozens, unfortunately
  • Options
    drewman said:

Godstone said:

I remember when we beat Palace at Selhurst when they were facing the possibility of being wound up.
    Massive support from Charlton. Kinsella as captain. We beat them and won what is now the Championship that season.

They went through Administration twice leaving local companies with huge losses as they paid next to nothing back. They scraped into
    the Premier League at a good time but still have never won a major trophy in their 110 year history.
    Yes, they hammered us with some soft penalties and a sending off - without those maybe we would have lost 2-1.

Palace can have their day. Charlton will be back, history says so.

Compared to our trophy littered history.....
    Football League Second Division / Football League First Division (2nd Tier)
    Champions – 2000

Football League Third Division / Football League One (3rd Tier)
    Champions – 2012

Football League Third Division South
    Champions – 1929, 1935

FA Cup
    Winners – 1947

Football League War Cup
    Joint Winners – 1944

Kent Senior Cup
    Winners – 1995, 2013, 2015

Peoples Cup
    Winners – 2011
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

drewman said:

Godstone said:

I remember when we beat Palace at Selhurst when they were facing the possibility of being wound up.
    Massive support from Charlton. Kinsella as captain. We beat them and won what is now the Championship that season.

They went through Administration twice leaving local companies with huge losses as they paid next to nothing back. They scraped into
    the Premier League at a good time but still have never won a major trophy in their 110 year history.
    Yes, they hammered us with some soft penalties and a sending off - without those maybe we would have lost 2-1.

Champions – 2000

Champions – 2012

Champions – 1929, 1935

FA Cup
    Winners – 1947

Football League War Cup
    Joint Winners – 1944

Kent Senior Cup

Peoples Cup
    Winners – 2011

This one was my favourite. Unforgettable night.
    Wasn't it just. Almost like those Kent Senior Cups and the War Cup.
  • Options
    Nothing lasts forever, I bet Palace fans looked on enviously at our team in the 2000s, with the likes of Jensen, Di Canio, Parker, and Bent in it. It wasn't that long ago when we were arguing with Greenwich Council's planning department over our plans to expand to 40k.

Long term Palace and Charlton are of a similar size, bigger then Millwall, but smaller than West Ham.
  • Options
    Not in my lifetime it wont
  • Options
    boggzy said:

"What goes around comes around"

Yep. Exactly what that orange greaseball said to our cocky chairman when he started to lose the plot.

"being a cocky twat giving it plenty of "We'll never play you again"

I did hear this being sung on the radio, along with "Shalala etc Who's fucking laughing now?" and "Let's all laugh at Charlton".

Genuinely glad I didn't go - can't disagree the way our club has been run for the last 10 years is a joke. And yes the number of tools has risen and the support has got worse. Then again I suppose we are allowed to be bitter with one good season (in the third division) in TEN YEARS!!!

Until the current owner changes, nothing will change, we'll continue being pissed on.

Final paragraph 100%
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

drewman said:

Godstone said:

Champions – 2000

Champions – 2012

Champions – 1929, 1935

FA Cup
    Winners – 1947

Football League War Cup
    Joint Winners – 1944

Kent Senior Cup

Peoples Cup
    Winners – 2011
    Genuinely no idea if this post is serious or not....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sorry but being in the prem doesn't guarantee success of you get relegated. The number of team that's get relegates from the prem and go straight back up is very small.

Like most teams, once you go down the wheels fall off and then there is a rebuilding process.

Look at Wigan, wolves, QPR, Hull, reading and penty more.
  • Options
    Could d with some form of 'time' coming soon.

• Options
    Lets be honest Palace should have been kicked out of the footy league in 2010 when they went into administration AGAIN!
  • Options
    Look at the mess Pardew left at ourselves and Newcastle - coming to Palarse in due course. Perhaps the lesson is to look at what is being done for the long term rather than go looking for short term fixes.
  • Options

Could d with some form of 'time' coming soon.

bet the unknowledgeable Palace lot think that's accurate as just them vs us too.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    With the wage bill at palace as high it probably is they are one bad season from disaster. Its a matter of when not if.

Its a club only a year ago employed Neil Warnock. They will make a terminal error.
  • Options

With the wage bill at palace as high it probably is they are one bad season from disaster. Its a matter of when not if.

Its a club only a year ago employed Neil Warnock. They will make a terminal error.

Exactly. There may be more TV money to throw around, but its just going on players wages.