Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Appeal for funds to restore and display items belonging to John Hewie

The family of John have very kindly donated a number of wonderful items to the Museum including his Scotland v England Cap, his Scotland player blazer, the Omega Seamaster watch presented to John by the Charlton directors and a number of photographs and contracts.

We're very proud to have these items but being 60 years old the cap and blazer in particular need some professional cleaning and restoration. When that has been done we'll also need some mannequins and other display equipment so that as many fans as possible can see them.

I'll post some photos but first things first

Charlton Athletic Museum
Nat West
Sort code 60 16 03
Account No. 7377 2593

Or cheques payable to "Charlton Athletic Museum" c/o The Charlton Athletic Museum, The Valley, Floyd Road, Charlton SE7 8BL

A big thank you to

Adam Hewie for donating the items

To Soundasa£ for collecting them from Lincolnshire

To Chris Parkes for looking after them at Sparrows Lane

To Tony Watt for posing for some photos with the items this morning.

Comments

• Options
    Charlton Athletic Museum
    Nat West
    Sort code 60 16 03
    Account No. 7377 2593

Or cheques payable to "Charlton Athletic Museum" c/o The Charlton Athletic Museum, The Valley, Floyd Road, Charlton SE7 8BL
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic Museum
    Nat West
    Sort code 60 16 03
    Account No. 7377 2593

• Options

Very worthy scheme. Just xferred a score.
  • Options
    Top man GHF

Would be great if people shared this on blogs, facebook, twitter etc etc etc
  • Options
    can you set up a just giving or paypal account - would make it easier to transfer £ and people will be more inclined to do so
  • Options
    would the Club shop not have a spare mannequin you can have?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kimbo said:

can you set up a just giving or paypal account - would make it easier to transfer £ and people will be more inclined to do so

I wouldn't know how.

We're having a new website built so we plan to include those options there.
  • Options

would the Club shop not have a spare mannequin you can have?

No and I have asked. The ones in the shop cost £200 to £300 and the regional manager has an exact count of how many there are.

We've found one for just under £100 for the blazer plus about £10 for the cap.

The cleaning and restoration we haven't got a price for yet but will be surprise if it less than £300 or more likely to be a bit more than that. Can't just take them to the local dry cleaners.

The cap in particular needs some work

imageimage
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Charlton Athletic Museum
    Nat West
    Sort code 60 16 03
    Account No. 7377 2593

Hello.

My name is Chief Adi D'kted and I am the former Chief Cashier of the Bank of Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The global growth in demand for scarce raw materials and the industrial surges in China, India, Russia, Brazil and other developing countries require that developed countries employ new, integrated and responsive strategies for identifying and ensuring, on a continual basis, an adequate supply of strategic and critical materials required for their security needs.

As part of this integration the Bank of Kinshasa now holds several sleeping accounts, one of which holds almost $38m (US), made up of assets from the former Peoples Republic of Libya, to which I am sole signatory.

Your requests for funding falls within the remit of identified needs and I am happy to allow 205 of the funds from this account to be transferred directly to your National Westminster account. This transfer can take place overnight, but we need both PIN number and password to set up the electronic transfer (fees to be paid by the Bank of Kinshasa).

Please send these details by return to ensure rapid deposit.

Yours in God.
    That's gonna cost you a score at least
  • Options
    thanks for the donations so far.

Keep them coming and spread the word.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Charlton Athletic Museum
    Nat West
    Sort code 60 16 03
    Account No. 7377 2593

Hello.

My name is Chief Adi D'kted and I am the former Chief Cashier of the Bank of Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The global growth in demand for scarce raw materials and the industrial surges in China, India, Russia, Brazil and other developing countries require that developed countries employ new, integrated and responsive strategies for identifying and ensuring, on a continual basis, an adequate supply of strategic and critical materials required for their security needs.

As part of this integration the Bank of Kinshasa now holds several sleeping accounts, one of which holds almost $38m (US), made up of assets from the former Peoples Republic of Libya, to which I am sole signatory.

Your requests for funding falls within the remit of identified needs and I am happy to allow 205 of the funds from this account to be transferred directly to your National Westminster account. This transfer can take place overnight, but we need both PIN number and password to set up the electronic transfer (fees to be paid by the Bank of Kinshasa).

Please send these details by return to ensure rapid deposit.

Yours in God.
    That's gonna cost you a score at least
    A tenner for the sweaty and a tenner for the Bank of Kinshasa.

• Options
    If only @Fiiish was a sweaty sock
  • Options
    PM me and I'll see what I can do :)
  • Options
    I am a sweaty sock - PM me and I'll see what I can do too....
  • Options
    I'll post up some of the photographs, letters and contracts that we recieved during the week.

Donations still needed and welcome.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for all the donations.

We've had £270 donated so far thanks to some very generous people but the restorer thinks it will cost up to £500 plus VAT to repair the blazer and cap so if you can please help.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Thanks but we've found a better display mannequin already. It is better for a blazer and easier to adjust around other mannaquins

• Options
    Ah, I see you managed to get one of those that they used me as a model for.
  • Options
    Just handed over the blazer and cap to the restorer.

She be coming back to me with a proper quote on the cost. The blazer is better than she expected and most likey just needs a thorough clean.

The cap needs a bit more.

So any more donations most welcome.

Also had a contact from another star from that era so some more historic memorabilia heading to the museum soon from Florida.
  • Options
    Will get a cheque in the post to you tomorrow Henry. Don't have or want internet banking.
  • Options
    Thanks Jean.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Just checked and had a few more donations.

Don't know if they are all from here but a few are so thanks to Curb-it, Len Glover, GHF and anyone else who's name I haven't recognised.
  • Options
    Thanks for the Cheque @HantsAddick

The estimate for cleaning and restoring the cap and blazer came in yesterday. £300 plus £60 vat.

Add to that the cost of a mannequin, a display case for the cap and repair of the gold watch and we're looking at £600+

So any more that people can spare will be gratefully added to the pot.