Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clash of games Sunday

Comments

• Options

ross1 said:

With us kicking off at 12 noon and the Mersey derby at 1.30, I should not think Sky will have many viewers for our second half, even if they had some for the first half. No doubt a lot of viewers would rather hear about their game before it starts than watch the end of ours.

Go out and forget about it and enjoy your weekend. ;-)
    If we win, I will
  • Options
    I broker the Screwfix sponsorship of FL72 on Sky. We obviously analyse viewing trends of all the games quite extensively and the problem for CAFC is that the audience for our games tends to be, for want of a better expression, crap. It's no surprise Sky don't want to have to show us if they don't have to.

Football is naturally a game that appeals to working class blokes. As such, those clubs from areas that have a heavy working class population will tend to attract a heavy TV viewing figure for their matches. Charlton will convert very ABC1 compared to the average team and when they are on television a much larger number of supporters will have other things to do other than watching football.

Hence our viewing will be much lower on the box than other clubs with comparable attendances.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options

I'll be there though

Your round next on Sunday is It LOL

• Options

I broker the Screwfix sponsorship of FL72 on Sky. We obviously analyse viewing trends of all the games quite extensively and the problem for CAFC is that the audience for our games tends to be, for want of a better expression, crap. It's no surprise Sky don't want to have to show us if they don't have to.

Football is naturally a game that appeals to working class blokes. As such, those clubs from areas that have a heavy working class population will tend to attract a heavy TV viewing figure for their matches. Charlton will convert very ABC1 compared to the average team and when they are on television a much larger number of supporters will have other things to do other than watching football.

Hence our viewing will be much lower on the box than other clubs with comparable attendances.

When it's one match a season, and at noon on a Sunday, that's not much of a surprise, though your point may be correct.

Are you able to share the data? Would be interesting to see
  • Options
    Lets hope our game is the best of the three on Sunday.

Probably the usual hyped up Premiership bore fest 'greatest dreby in the world', 'blue and red standing together', 'clash of the titans' blah blah blah.
  • Options

We're slightly 'posher than some other clubs, but Fulham are definitely a middle class team. Two teams that people tend to quite like, maybe that's the problem.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Struggling to find a bar in Puerto del Carmen that will be showing it, everywhere here is showing the bloody scousers or Rangers or some such crap

Linekers at the end of strip. They have loads of TV's there and have always changed one over if requested
  • Options
    This thread raised my hopes of seeing us on tv. But my hopes were then dashed as it isn't on here. Shame
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will be in Fuengirola! Delayed my holiday by 1 day so I could go to the valley - then they moved it! Will have to find a bar showing it...
  • Options
    Does anyone know a pub in Greenwich, Lewisham or New Cross that's got multiple screens and therefore won't switch over to the Bin Dippers' derby when our game's still got 20 minutes to run?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Leuth said:

Essentially equivalent. The big dark thing with the fin is Ross McCormack. The people on the beach are Charlton Athletic. Roy Scheider plays for someone else, probably Brighton or something

We're gonna need a bigger squad!
    Show me the way to go home...
    We lost and I want to go to bed....
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Does anyone know a pub in Greenwich, Lewisham or New Cross that's got multiple screens and therefore won't switch over to the Bin Dippers' derby when our game's still got 20 minutes to run?

Bartrams!
  • Options
    I'm right in thinking there are no trains as well, aren't I ?
  • Options

I'm right in thinking there are no trains as well, aren't I ?

yep - make the crowd about 7k now
  • Options
    lol, couldn't make it up.

More than happy to drive for a sunday lunchtime ko. have a feeling parking wont be a problem!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    That clash is annoying, will have to watch the game at home now, as the one pub within walking distance of my house that has Sky will switch over to the Merseyside Derby.

I had planned to get to the Valley for the first time this season for this game too but no chance after they switched it to Midday Sunday.
  • Options
    I am struggling for this with kids parties/football and reckon i might have to take the easy option as my trains are screwed and wife needs the motor

Assuming Fulham bring 1500 I'll go for 13,123 announced and 9,000 in the stadium.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Hardy's Freehouse on Trafalgar Road is probably your best best. So close to the ground though, you might as well go to the game...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IA said:

When it's one match a season, and at noon on a Sunday, that's not much of a surprise, though your point may be correct.

Are you able to share the data? Would be interesting to see
    The point I made in several of my e-mails to them and on another thread on here. We are not looking at a semblance of a level playing field.
  • Options
    We have also been effing awful every time we've been on Sky in recent memory. That can't help.
  • Options

There you have it
    We're dull , really dull or an acquired taste you may say .......
    And no football fan in their right mind would want to watch us
    The number crunchers know it and it doesn't make commercial sense to show one of the most boring teams on telly

• Options
    The thing is, any football fan would have enjoyed our games against QPR & Hull. When we play well, we're far rom dull. We're unlikely to play like that in front of the cameras though. And we're all over the place at the moment.
  • Options

There you have it
    The number crunchers know it and it doesn't make commercial sense to show one of the most boring teams on telly

I've said this all along. Let's face it (as I've also said before), most people posting on this thread aren't even going to the game, so if our own fans aren't going/don't want to go, then how can we expect other clubs fans to want to watch us.

Oh and before the first person, says it's not that loads of our fans don't want to, it's more a case of they can't go.
    Well yes I appreciate this absolutely.

However, if we were at home to Man U, I would bet my life that our attendance wouldn't be less than 15,000.

Can't go would become can go for the majority.

It's not can't go. It's there's something else I would rather do, whether that is purely for self, family or whatever.

(I'm not criticising anyone not going it's entirely up to them.)
  • Options

There you have it

FFS Ohh ahh, how many times do I have to say this. We have been on FOUR times in almost FOUR years. We have not been dull in 160+ games. I only went to four last season, and I saw two crackers! Even if we have been dull in all four of the ones we have been on, then so have the opposition - it takes two to tango.

IA and myself already explained why the number crunchers cannot make a reasonable decision on the data they have, but you just ignore that?

As I have also said numerous times, if Leeds are so bloody attractive, then why not show Charlton v Leeds?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Much better atmosphere even if shit football for a Leeds game , our library like atmosphere is a turn off
    I mean the live "derby" against millwall was as quiet an atmosphere as you could get and as dull a derby game as Sky have ever covered
  • Options
    The numbers (viewing) for our matches are low , according to Damo , so the smallest viewing figures aren't what the advertisers want so it's understandable why Sky will want us on as little as possible
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Vincenzo said:

MrLargo said:

Hardy's Freehouse on Trafalgar Road is probably your best best. So close to the ground though, you might as well go to the game...
    Being an avid reader of your magnificent website, I'm finding it hard to believe that you're advocating getting out of bed earlier to spend £20 watching something which will inevitably be painfully poor when I could spend the same money drinking 5 pints of Guinness in a nice warm pub and still get to witness the latest chapter of our assisted suicide.

Cheers for the tip, I love Hardy's, couldn't remember if they had the facility to show different games at the same time though. I'll probably end up feeling guilty and going to the game anyway.
  • Options
    I just don't want to go