Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clash of games Sunday

13»

Comments

• Options

I just don't want to go

Nor do I but there's something called British stiff upper lip 'an all that.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Vincenzo said:

MrLargo said:

Does anyone know a pub in Greenwich, Lewisham or New Cross that's got multiple screens and therefore won't switch over to the Bin Dippers' derby when our game's still got 20 minutes to run?

Hardy's Freehouse on Trafalgar Road is probably your best best. So close to the ground though, you might as well go to the game...
    Being an avid reader of your magnificent website, I'm finding it hard to believe that you're advocating getting out of bed earlier to spend £20 watching something which will inevitably be painfully poor when I could spend the same money drinking 5 pints of Guinness in a nice warm pub and still get to witness the latest chapter of our assisted suicide.

Cheers for the tip, I love Hardy's, couldn't remember if they had the facility to show different games at the same time though. I'll probably end up feeling guilty and going to the game anyway.
    Ha ha! Thanks for the compliment.

You're quite right, it is odd of me to advocate that and I'm not sure I'll even take my own advice. I love Charlton and I love pubs, so this is an ideal opportunity to combine the two, particularly as the former can drive a man to drink.

I'm pretty sure Hardy's can show more than one game at a time. I've seen us lose there so many times in recent years I might try The Prince Albert (Rose's) in Woolwich for a change, if I don't go to the game. Because whether we win or not is all down to where I watch it, of course!
  • Options
    I have a deep deep forboding in the pit of the stomach whenever we are due to be televised.

It may be my diet of £1 Iceland microwavable meals, or as i suspect, the fact that we are usually unconscionable shite.
  • Options

I broker the Screwfix sponsorship of FL72 on Sky. We obviously analyse viewing trends of all the games quite extensively and the problem for CAFC is that the audience for our games tends to be, for want of a better expression, crap. It's no surprise Sky don't want to have to show us if they don't have to.

There you have it
    We're dull , really dull or an acquired taste you may say .......
    And no football fan in their right mind would want to watch us
    The number crunchers know it and it doesn't make commercial sense to show one of the most boring teams on telly

FFS Ohh ahh, how many times do I have to say this. We have been on FOUR times in almost FOUR years. We have not been dull in 160+ games. I only went to four last season, and I saw two crackers! Even if we have been dull in all four of the ones we have been on, then so have the opposition - it takes two to tango.

IA and myself already explained why the number crunchers cannot make a reasonable decision on the data they have, but you just ignore that?

As I have also said numerous times, if Leeds are so bloody attractive, then why not show Charlton v Leeds?

I'd really like to see the data if it's available @DamoNorthStand . The viewpoint may well be correct that we're not great for advertisers, but would be good to see for myself.
  • Options

Much better atmosphere even if shit football for a Leeds game , our library like atmosphere is a turn off
    I mean the live "derby" against millwall was as quiet an atmosphere as you could get and as dull a derby game as Sky have ever covered

The numbers (viewing) for our matches are low , according to Damo , so the smallest viewing figures aren't what the advertisers want so it's understandable why Sky will want us on as little as possible

Well now, I was referring to the Leeds game (and Cardiff) as the two decent games that I attended last season. So at least we can agree that they should show the Leeds game - which also fulfils the criteria laid out in your second point, which is what I keep saying.

However, I am still interested as to how you think that data (apparently) gleaned from a sample of four matches, over four years, only one of which had a decent time slot (Fulham away), none of which were crucial games at the business end of the season, can be considered in any way, shape or form as comparable to any other club (let me remind you, Yeovil were on four times the season they spent finishing bottom of the Championship).

"As dull a derby game as Sky have ever covered" - you already stated that you can't even manage to watch a Charlton derby this Sunday because of other commitments Ohh Ahh, have you really watched all the other clubs derbys for the past 23 years? :wink:
  • Options
    I'm sure when we are involved in a crucial game at the business end of the season , we may be considered

I'm sure the data goes back to when we were shown in the Prem , we do not have a big TV following hence they wont show us and Leeds are on far too much and have juicier fixtures than a match against lame old Charlton to waste another one showing them

we are dull to the outside world and some inside it as well !

and as someone who forks out for a few season tickets each year i'm glad that we are left alone as well because the fixtures being moved around make it difficult for me and my family to attend

• Options

Much better atmosphere even if shit football for a Leeds game , our library like atmosphere is a turn off
    I mean the live "derby" against millwall was as quiet an atmosphere as you could get and as dull a derby game as Sky have ever covered

Out atmosphere may not be brilliant, but most other grounds are just as bad!
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I'm sure when we are involved in a crucial game at the business end of the season , we may be considered

I'm sure the data goes back to when we were shown in the Prem , we do not have a big TV following hence they wont show us and Leeds are on far too much and have juicier fixtures than a match against lame old Charlton to waste another one showing them

we are dull to the outside world and some inside it as well !

and as someone who forks out for a few season tickets each year i'm glad that we are left alone as well because the fixtures being moved around make it difficult for me and my family to attend

Which I completely understand. As I am sure you understand I want to see us on tele, for my own purposes as well as the wider implications mentioned elsewhere.

We have been involved in crucial end of season games by the way.

I don't believe we are any duller than some of the old toot dished up from the Premier league this year...
  • Options

IA said:

I broker the Screwfix sponsorship of FL72 on Sky. We obviously analyse viewing trends of all the games quite extensively and the problem for CAFC is that the audience for our games tends to be, for want of a better expression, crap. It's no surprise Sky don't want to have to show us if they don't have to.

Football is naturally a game that appeals to working class blokes. As such, those clubs from areas that have a heavy working class population will tend to attract a heavy TV viewing figure for their matches. Charlton will convert very ABC1 compared to the average team and when they are on television a much larger number of supporters will have other things to do other than watching football.

Hence our viewing will be much lower on the box than other clubs with comparable attendances.

When it's one match a season, and at noon on a Sunday, that's not much of a surprise, though your point may be correct.

Are you able to share the data? Would be interesting to see
    The point I made in several of my e-mails to them and on another thread on here. We are not looking at a semblance of a level playing field.
    Disagree, that's the one thing we do have now, a level playing field.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Fair enough Algarve but season ticket holders trump expats :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Man who has his name on a board at The Valley for ensuring that you have a Valley to watch football at trumps season ticket holder. And I REALLY did not want to play that card... :neutral:
  • Options
    Think of me when your having beer before the game and a few at HT as I will be in Southampton watching my son play for the 11s Grrrrrrr
  • Options

Man who has his name on a board at The Valley for ensuring that you have a Valley to watch football at trumps season ticket holder. And I REALLY did not want to play that card... :neutral:
    Lol that was the last time I voted ....... till my wife offered me sex to vote this year !
    I don't do politics .......
  • Options
    Massive clash of games, playing in a cup match at 10:30, if it goes to extra time and pens I'll be lucky to catch any of CAFC!
  • Options

Lol that was the last time I voted ....... till my wife offered me sex to vote this year !
    Good job I did. :smiley:
  • Options
    This is what I suspect will be Patrick Bauer's account of the game:

"Fulham slammed two torpedoes into our net. I was comin' back from deliverin' a clearance. Eleven men went onto the pitch. We went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first tackle for about a half an hour. Slider. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that when you're on the pitch, chief? You tell by lookin' from the studs to the tail.

What we didn't know... was our live game had been so secret, no advert signal had been sent. They didn't even list our score for a week.

Very first light, chief. The Cottagers come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like ol' squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the Fulham attacker comes to the nearest man and that man, he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the Fulham player would go away.

Sometimes he wouldn't go away.

Sometimes that winger, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a winger? He's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he passes ya and those black eyes roll over white.

And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the crowd turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.

Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred tackles! I don't know how many Fulham players, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many defenders were beaten, they averaged six goals an hour. I bumped into a friend of mine, Chris Solly from Rochester. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down on the pitch, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been tackled in half below the waist. Noon, Mr. Hooper, a Sky channel surfer saw us. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for the final whistle.. I'll never put on a bib again. So, eleven men went on the pitch, three hundred and sixteen fans come out, Sky took the rest."
  • Options

Wondered why there a queue at the polling station.
  • Options
    Just noticed Sky start their coverage on Sunday at 11.55, 5 minutes before kick-off! LOL!

Oh well, at least they are not pretending they have the faintest interest in this game.
  • Options
    To give some context to our audience figures, you would normally expect a Championship game to reach c950,000 individuals during the course of the transmission (averaging at around 500,000 at any one time). The biggest games last year reached around 1.4m and averaged at 750-800k or so.

Looking at our most recent games, they tend to reach c500,000 and average at 200,000 or so.
  • Options
    How do Sky work out how many viewers it has for any one programme, can they tell what each individual are watching, BIG BROTHER
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got a wedding to attend Saturday. I will be crackingly hungover.

If I manage to get out of bed by 10 I'll be there.
  • Options

Massive clash of games, playing in a cup match at 10:30, if it goes to extra time and pens I'll be lucky to catch any of CAFC!

@BR7_addick If it looks like going to extra time you could always accidently on purpose stick one in your own net or better still you could have a complete mare to make sure you get subbed at half time :wink:
  • Options
    ross1 said:

How do Sky work out how many viewers it has for any one programme, can they tell what each individual are watching, BIG BROTHER

All channels use a BARB panel reporting system. It is not as accurate as it should be - about 5,000 homes of a mixed demographic make up. The viewing is then pro rata'd up to a national scale.
  • Options

To give some context to our audience figures, you would normally expect a Championship game to reach c950,000 individuals during the course of the transmission (averaging at around 500,000 at any one time). The biggest games last year reached around 1.4m and averaged at 750-800k or so.

Looking at our most recent games, they tend to reach c500,000 and average at 200,000 or so.

Do you have the actual figures to share?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

@BR7_addick If it looks like going to extra time you could always accidently on purpose stick one in your own net or better still you could have a complete mare to make sure you get subbed at half time :wink:
    With the current form I was thinking of doing this if we're 1 up so I could accidentally on purpose swerve the Charlton game..
  • Options

ross1 said:

All channels use a BARB panel reporting system. It is not as accurate as it should be - about 5,000 homes of a mixed demographic make up. The viewing is then pro rata'd up to a national scale.
    Are these panels all in Leeds by any chance
  • Options
    Just hope all you stay-at-homers don't bellyache after the game when we have thrashed Fulham.......every dog has its day.
  • Options

Oh come on we're a bit more interesting than that surely ........

Maybe not , what minimal personality we had has been drained from us by the boring Belgian experiment