Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First Direct

Anyone bank with them? Thinking of switching accounts for the very inviting £125 switch fee. Only concern being that they are internet/telephone based so don't have any high street branches, and dealing with banks over the phone always seems to end up with some kind of error being made.

Any good/bad experiences?

Comments

• Options
    I've got a mortgage with them and a bank account and they are fine. HSBC are the linked bank for high street activity.
  • Options
    Best bank about mate. They are superb. It's about 20 times better than having high street branches, as you just call somebody up and somebody (a person not an automation) answers it in about 3 rings and then they sort out whatever you need sorted straight away. So much less time consuming and more efficient than every other bank, and you just pop into any HSBC if you need to pay something in.

They have by far and away the best customer service rankings of any bank and there's a reason for that.
  • Options
    Been with them for more or less 20 years. Excellent bank, you would be well advised to switch, can't see a downside.
  • Options
    I sacked Natwest and went to First Direct. Excellent customer service, phone them up and you're straight through to a helpful human being. None of the usual press 1 for this, press 2 for that nonsense. They do have a monthly fee but if you pay in your salary and have more than one product they waive it.

I wouldn't recommend Natwest to my worst enemy!
  • Options
    Had my mortgage with them. Very good customer service every time I phoned up so would consider using them as my regular bank.
  • Options
    Been with them pretty much since they started. Do 99.9% of banking online now, but from memory, phone service was excellent both in call answer time and issue resolution

Would definitely recommend
  • Options
    Blimey, wasn't expecting such a positive response. Looks like i'll be switching then, if just for talking to someone quickly when I call! Thanks guys
  • Options
    I have been with them for more than 25 years. I have never considered switching.
  • Options
    Through apathy I've not switched my current account to them but I have 2 e-savings accounts with them and they are spot on. Can only echo what's been said above
  • Options
    I like things a bit off-beat me.

Don't switch. They don't deserve any custom after that horrendous advert they keep showing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First Direct are very good - but also consider Handelsbanken. You actually speak to someone at your branch when you ring. Their service is exemplary.
  • Options
    For basic banking I'd think you can't go far wrong. (They are a division of HSBC of course.)

It depends what you want from a bank though. I use Citibank because they provide euro and dollar accounts and I just switch my debit card between currencies. Very handy for the holidays to be able to do transactions in the local currency with no "fees" for using ATMs, etc. I also, now, buy quite a lot of stuff from, say, Germany direct when it's cheaper than in the UK even after p&p. And just get Citibank to do a SEPA transfer at no charge.

So, I suppose my point is look at what banks offer and see what's good for you and your personal circumstances.

BTW, while banks now offer the account switching service, is that what is good for you? Why close the old account straight away? Just open a new account somewhere else and gradually switch your banking over if it looks like they are providing the service you want.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    And what is wrong with Coutts ?

Excellent service and the charges are reasonable.
  • Options
    Used FD for many years. 1st rate and fantastic client service over the phone. Always helpful and friendly.
  • Options
    Been with them for over 20 yrs, great service from them.
  • Options
    My dad reckons FD are the greatest bank of all... Been with them 20+ years. I'd bank with them if it wasn't for the fact we left HSBC, and I'd rather stick a sugar cube up my japs eye and fuck a wasps nest than give those slags another penny of my money.

I bank with the Co-op and they are fine.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    PL54 said:

Nothing but the £250k minimum balance might be a stumbling block for some. Try Cater Allen instead lower opening balance and pay interest.

My neighbour has just moved to work for Shawbrook Bank. She says they are pretty good (I suppose she would) but I don't think they do current accounts, just notice accounts and ISAs.
  • Options
    I have a decent banking app on my phone (Barclays) which does most of what I need, other than that I actually prefer to go into a branch and speak to someone rather than on a phone.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

PL54 said:

Nothing but the £250k minimum balance might be a stumbling block for some. Try Cater Allen instead lower opening balance and pay interest.
    Will check that out

Petty cash
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Charges have gone up and service has deteriorated since RBS took over Natwest. Not what they once were.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've been with them for donkeys years, and they've been excellent. On the rare occasions I need to pay cheques in then I can just use my local HSBC branch, but I mostly just use the internet banking to set up standing orders, bank transfers etc. My only criticism of them is that if there's been "unusual activity" on my credit card, they phone up and start trying to go through the security checks with me, which is daft, but they don't quibble when I ask to take their name and call them back via the main number instead. And the time when I actually did have an issue with someone trying to do a "courier scam" on me, they were excellent.
  • Options
    High street bank branches, like much else in the contemporary shopping/business environment, are becoming redundant .. go for the best deal .. internet/remote/telephone banking will take more and more of the market and it will happen quickly
  • Options
    £125 to switch to Halifax if you want a high street bank. Switched to them earlier in the year, had no problems.
  • Options
    I know this was specifically about first direct but I recently (February or so) switched to Santander and they have been amazing (Credit and debit card). Went via quidco so got £35 for switching, and first year credit card fee (£25) is waived when you link to a santander debit card account. I have since February earned £95 cashback, which when you consider the fact that even if I was paying the fees, you would be looking at £4 a month, is pretty good for 8 months (£32). I went in to pay a cheque once and I liked the fact that machines there can take in cheques and read them!!! I was with Barclay's previously and Santander are definitely a step above.
  • Options
    Talal said:

£125 to switch to Halifax if you want a high street bank. Switched to them earlier in the year, had no problems.

I'd be worried about them singing at me
  • Options
    First Direct always come top of the consumer satisfaction polls.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

I sacked Natwest and went to First Direct. Excellent customer service, phone them up and you're straight through to a helpful human being. None of the usual press 1 for this, press 2 for that nonsense. They do have a monthly fee but if you pay in your salary and have more than one product they waive it.

Aren't they owned by Nat West?
  • Options
    First Direct tops customer service awards year on year. Been with them for must be 20 years now, always someone available even on Christmas Day, and nothing's too much for them. They even sound like they love their work. Being paid to join them? Its a no brainer.
  • Options

Missed It said:

Aren't they owned by Nat West?
    No. HSBC.