Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First Direct

2»

Comments

• Options
    Huskaris said:

I know this was specifically about first direct but I recently (February or so) switched to Santander and they have been amazing (Credit and debit card). Went via quidco so got £35 for switching, and first year credit card fee (£25) is waived when you link to a santander debit card account. I have since February earned £95 cashback, which when you consider the fact that even if I was paying the fees, you would be looking at £4 a month, is pretty good for 8 months (£32). I went in to pay a cheque once and I liked the fact that machines there can take in cheques and read them!!! I was with Barclay's previously and Santander are definitely a step above.

Their fees are about to rise significantly.
  • Options
    I am another satisfied First Direct customer. I do nearly everything online but when you do need to call they answer within a minute 24 hours a day.
  • Options
    Talal said:

£125 to switch to Halifax if you want a high street bank. Switched to them earlier in the year, had no problems.

I know I'll get abuse for this but if you've got money and you're cautious it's worth knowing who your bank really are as the FSCS scheme is per organisation not trading name.
    Halifax doesn't really exist as a separate entity. It's part of Bank of Scotland together with Intelligent Finance, Birmingham Midshires, Bank of Wales and St James Place. Some Saga and AA savings accounts are also within the same umbrella. Although, I believe the ultimate parent of all of them, Lloyds has a separate authority. The max compensation is reducing to £75k per group at the start of next year.
    Anyway, eggs and baskets. Why restrict yourself to using one banking entity? Think Northern Rock customers queuing to get their dosh.
    Spread your money about to minimise the risk. You know it makes sense Rodney.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    rikofold said:

Huskaris said:

I know this was specifically about first direct but I recently (February or so) switched to Santander and they have been amazing (Credit and debit card). Went via quidco so got £35 for switching, and first year credit card fee (£25) is waived when you link to a santander debit card account. I have since February earned £95 cashback, which when you consider the fact that even if I was paying the fees, you would be looking at £4 a month, is pretty good for 8 months (£32). I went in to pay a cheque once and I liked the fact that machines there can take in cheques and read them!!! I was with Barclay's previously and Santander are definitely a step above.

Their fees are about to rise significantly.
    I saw £2 to £3 a month for the card and £2-£5 on the current account. At £8 a month it's still very decent.