Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• Options
    Said it was a waste of time! You don't understand what the Teesside branch did and how the tweet above means you can't blame Corbyn for it. Then another personal attack. Someone fetch the dunce hat.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

McBobbin said:

How ignorant do some people need to be?
    That's who some people choose to "run with".
    This is awful and disgusting.

It's also awful and disgusting that you found a way to use the deadliest antisemitic attack in modern American history as a way to turn it around into your pet cause of how much you hate Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party.

If he, or significant or even not massive numbers of Labour Party MPs took this approach I'd be standing alongside you. And if they have, please point it out to me. But instead, you've had to go to the Stockton-on-Tees council. My knowledge of local British politics isn't great, but I'm pretty sure there's no saying of "As Stockton-on-Tees Council goes, so goes Britain."

Again, it's awful and disgusting and completely inexcusable. But so is trying to forward your own cause like this.
    To be fair, HI hasn't had to go to Stockton-on-Tees, The Independent has done it for him, because virtually the entire media has a vested interest in ensuring Labour don't win the next election.

Now obviously the people involved in this refusal to condemn are twats, but they've obviously become entrenched in one half of a largely fabricated culture war, meaning that when the 'antisemitism' buzzword comes up, their predominant feeling is defensive and wanting nothing to do with it. When push comes to shove, these people almost certainly wouldn't actually oppress or harm Jewish people. I've seen no evidence that the Labour Party would do anything even remotely like that in practice (despite a few bad apples mouthing off).

Now we could either talk about racism by Tory voters, or we could get back on topic.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

SDAddick said:

McBobbin said:

How ignorant do some people need to be?
    That's who some people choose to "run with".
    This is awful and disgusting.

It's also awful and disgusting that you found a way to use the deadliest antisemitic attack in modern American history as a way to turn it around into your pet cause of how much you hate Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party.

If he, or significant or even not massive numbers of Labour Party MPs took this approach I'd be standing alongside you. And if they have, please point it out to me. But instead, you've had to go to the Stockton-on-Tees council. My knowledge of local British politics isn't great, but I'm pretty sure there's no saying of "As Stockton-on-Tees Council goes, so goes Britain."

Again, it's awful and disgusting and completely inexcusable. But so is trying to forward your own cause like this.
    To be fair, HI hasn't had to go to Stockton-on-Tees, The Independent has done it for him, because virtually the entire media has a vested interest in ensuring Labour don't win the next election.

Now obviously the people involved in this refusal to condemn are twats, but they've obviously become entrenched in one half of a largely fabricated culture war, meaning that when the 'antisemitism' buzzword comes up, their predominant feeling is defensive and wanting nothing to do with it. When push comes to shove, these people almost certainly wouldn't actually oppress or harm Jewish people. I've seen no evidence that the Labour Party would do anything even remotely like that in practice (despite a few bad apples mouthing off).

Now we could either talk about racism by Tory voters, or we could get back on topic.
    Please do talk about racism in the Tory party. I condemn it in that party, from Trump, From Yaxley- Lennon, from Hames and from Labour.

Or is it ok to dismiss Tory racism as a "few bad apples" in the same way you can with the Corbyn party?
  • Options
    Depends how many apples!

Labour councils don't help themselves when they mealy-mouth antisemitism - it's a cut-and-dried issue, and they're simply giving their enemies ammunition when they don't stand with Jewish people at times like this.
  • Options
    It does bear mentioning that in the very same article quoted, the secretary of the branch expressed his disagreement and dismay with the vote. So yes there are antisemitic elements of the Labour Party, same as there are members of every other party with appalling views.
    However until we get reports of a left wing nut job committing a mass shooting it remains an unequal comparison to me.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

It does bear mentioning that in the very same article quoted, the secretary of the branch expressed his disagreement and dismay with the vote. So yes there are antisemitic elements of the Labour Party, same as there are members of every other party with appalling views.
    However until we get reports of a left wing nut job committing a mass shooting it remains an unequal comparison to me.

Pol pot didn't want to waste money on bullets.
  • Options

thenewbie said:

Racism exists in all sectors of society - how it's addressed is the big issue.
  • Options

thenewbie said:

Racism exists in all sectors of society - how it's addressed is the big issue.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    Another mass shooting in Thousand Oaks California. Details sketchy at moment but automatic weapon used. No details of casualties. No deaths I hope.
  • Options
    Yet another tragic waste of lives, these events are far too regular, something desperately needs to change.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:

I agree that it's not a problem restricted to the Labour party. The person who proposed the motion and many others clearly don't share the view.

It was never a comparison between the shooting and the failure to condemn it. It was a valid comment on how certain people, who are activists within their party, reacted to the shooting and that the leadership of that party continues to be far too weak and slow to address the issue on their doorstep. One example could be dismissed as "bad apples", hundred of cases can't.
  • Options

Another mass shooting in Thousand Oaks California. Details sketchy at moment but automatic weapon used. No details of casualties. No deaths I hope.

now saying multiple fatalities. Very sad but will anything change?
  • Options

In short no. Guns are so ingrained in American culture. Sadly these don't even shock me anymore
  • Options

Now is not the time to discuss gun control and the next mass shooting will be along before it is the time. So, no.
  • Options
    I'm hearing 12 dead including the shooter and a police officer.
  • Options
    Post is reporting 13.

One of my first jobs was in Thousand Oaks. My first girlfriend lived there. My mum used to work there. A close friend lived there up until very recently.

This one hits close to home.
  • Options

In short no. Guns are so ingrained in American culture. Sadly these don't even shock me anymore

Could also say ;
    In short no. Knives are so ingrained in UK youth culture. Sadly these don't even shock me anymore
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Could also say ;
    In short no. Knives are so ingrained in UK youth culture. Sadly these don't even shock me anymore

Over 15000 gun deaths in the USA in 2017 - I think it may be a bigger problem.
  • Options
    Suspect named as Ian David Long.

Sounds like one of those immigrants from the Middle East or at least a dangerous person on that caravan from South America.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:

Suspect named as Ian David Long.

Sounds like one of those immigrants from the Middle East or at least a dangerous person on that caravan from South America.

Funny how many of these dangerous criminals aren't immigrants or muslims.
  • Options
    It was all over the news a few hours ago. “Middle eastern man, 20s with a beard.”

Shows how easy bullsh*t spreads.
  • Options
    Former Marine
  • Options

Former Marine

Presumably, and sadly, it will come out that he has PTSD or another form of mental illness.

At least the current President didn't revoke gun checks for mental illness...
  • Options
    Another senseless tragedy and it just seems so regular now with no solution in sight, or at least a will to try to address it. There's just too much money and power in the gun industry in the US, and unless a President comes in that owes nothing to the gun lobbies sadly it won't change.
  • Options

Another senseless tragedy and it just seems so regular now with no solution in sight, or at least a will to try to address it. There's just too much money and power in the gun industry in the US, and unless a President comes in that owes nothing to the gun lobbies sadly it won't change.

Could anyone openly anti-gun even get elected in the first place? I seriously doubt it。
  • Options

Could anyone openly anti-gun even get elected in the first place? I seriously doubt it。
    That is the NRA false argument

They pitch it as pro-gun or anti-gun when it reality it should be no gun control v some gun control.
  • Options

That is the NRA false argument

They pitch it as pro-gun or anti-gun when it reality it should be no gun control v some gun control.
    In 2010 Trump praised Obama for his stance for a ban on automatic weapons. Funny how he changed his mind when running for President.
  • Options
    evidently the suspect/shooter was .. (copied from BBC website report) Earlier this year, police mental health professionals interviewed and cleared him after sheriffs' deputies found him behaving "irate" and "erratically" at his home, said authorities. UNQUOTE ..
    this shows a flaw in the concept of 'due process', a fundamental democratic principle. Long was allowed to go about his business because there was no proof he'd committed a crime. He was suspect, but that is not good enough to get him locked up.
    In other lands where human rights and the rule of law applies only to what the authorities/government deem 'right' and the 'subject's rights' are either secondary or non-existent, Long might well have been confined to a prison or sanatorium until he proved his behaviour was satisfactory enough to allow him back into society.

USA is a democracy where it's a fundamental right in most states of the union to carry weapons, guns, even weapons capable of mass killings. The majority of the people of the USA and the US government so far deem that the incidence of mass shootings, or 'even' single murderous shootings are a price worth paying to maintain 'freedom for the individual'