Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney Documentary

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:

Football wise I think he's burnt out, a bit like Fernando Torres, where body and mind is gone after 12/14 years at the top. But undoubtedly an excellent player in his pomp, not his fault he's been surrounded by such poor players in the England team.

Thing the stood out was his performances in 2004 were because he had self belief and no fear, just a genuine raw talent that played the game at a relentless pace. Now he doesn't know what his best position is, one bad game and he's finished so the pressure seems to get to him and i get the impression his love for playing has been knocked (which isn't right for a player paid £300k a week!)
  • Options
    I agree about the hooker comments. I mean, look at Beckham and the affair. Once we found out about that his popularity plummeted. I believe he still sees the lady at Old Trafford who was responsible for his departure.
  • Options
    Interesting that that Rooney gets an hours hagiography while Edward Snowdon (who has made a difference in pointing the world is really run by arseholes) only gets half an hour, and was just a warm up act for someone who has never done it for England when it really mattered.

Makes some of the Beckham worshipping rubbish look almost worthy.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

I think he's great. He's made some really shite decisions in life but no more so than any otheor person. It's just that his mistakes get broadcast to an entire nation.

Enjoyed it.

My thoughts exactly.

Thought it was a good watch.
    Getting busted for fucking hookers once? OK - not my cup of tea - but I'll give you young and stupid for that one.

Getting busted fucking a tart a second time when you are 25 and the most famous sportsman in the country, you are married and your wife is pregnant?

That's probably just a touch more than the sort of mistakes "most people" make and shows what a dumb, odious cretin poor Wayne really is.

You don't know the pressures of the limelight, and neither do I. Saying that do you not find it strange that these things crop up quite a lot for the rich and famous?

He does sometimes strike me as foolish, not dumb.
    An example letting your frustration get the better of you is foolish, especially when it culminates in saying to a live camera “Nice to see your home fans booing you. That’s loyal supporters.”

But then again the man manages make millions based on a certain set of skills, we can only dream of having.

He supports his family far better than any of us could financially. Whether you think he supports them as much emotionally is personal opinion.
    We all think we love our families more than anyone else loves theirs... unless they're on Jeremy Kyle.

You don't know what Wayne and Colleen's situation was at either of the two times you have specified and thus are unable to make a judgement of the man based on solely that particular pair of incidents.

I think you're letting yourself fall for another type of hype, that of Newspaper propaganda.

• Options
    John Terry next week.

Alan Pardew the week after.
  • Options
    It wasn't mentioned particularly but just about mistakes made I think.

Anyway I more enjoyed the fact that he scored for Everton against Arsenal and then celebrated by playing football down the garages at the back of his house.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Rothko said:

Football wise I think he's burnt out, a bit like Fernando Torres, where body and mind is gone after 12/14 years at the top. But undoubtedly an excellent player in his pomp, not his fault he's been surrounded by such poor players in the England team.

Thing the stood out was his performances in 2004 were because he had self belief and no fear, just a genuine raw talent that played the game at a relentless pace. Now he doesn't know what his best position is, one bad game and he's finished so the pressure seems to get to him and i get the impression his love for playing has been knocked (which isn't right for a player paid £300k a week!)
    I think he just looked happy with his lot, a bit too comfortable from a footballing perspective - basically a sort of 'I've won everything at club level, I'm England's top scorer, I've got a massive contract, we won't win a World Cup, that's that really'.

Subconsciously I don't think he's pushing himself to carry on at the top.
  • Options
    Reminiscing about the time Rooney burst on the scene as a 16 year old really brought back a lot of childhood memories for me. Everyone at school was talking about it the next week and it really did feel as though it was a landmark moment for English football - which indeed it was when you consider the record he just broke.

It also made me realise that we have not had that same excitement about a young English player since, simply because they don't get much of a chance in today's Premier League. Don't expect to see any 16 year old English forwards destroying teams any time soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I watched last night on iplayer and was pleasantly surprised. I know its PR - but I think he came across well - clearly a family man - can't fake the way his kids respond to him. I had forgotten what an amazing player he was as a teenager- I agree that recent years have been disappointing - but at only 29 he's now 13 years into a career where he's played close to 700 games and had the pressure of leading the line for a poor England team and in recent years a Man Utd team in transistion. Not sure captaincy sits well with him.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I think he's great. He's made some really shite decisions in life but no more so than any otheor person. It's just that his mistakes get broadcast to an entire nation.

Enjoyed it.

My thoughts exactly.

Getting busted for fucking hookers once? OK - not my cup of tea - but I'll give you young and stupid for that one.

Getting busted fucking a tart a second time when you are 25 and the most famous sportsman in the country, you are married and your wife is pregnant?

That's probably just a touch more than the sort of mistakes "most people" make and shows what a dumb, odious cretin poor Wayne really is.

You don't know the pressures of the limelight, and neither do I. Saying that do you not find it strange that these things crop up quite a lot for the rich and famous?

An example letting your frustration get the better of you is foolish, especially when it culminates in saying to a live camera “Nice to see your home fans booing you. That’s loyal supporters.”

But then again the man manages make millions based on a certain set of skills, we can only dream of having.

He supports his family far better than any of us could financially. Whether you think he supports them as much emotionally is personal opinion.
    We all think we love our families more than anyone else loves theirs... unless they're on Jeremy Kyle.

You don't know what Wayne and Colleen's situation was at either of the two times you have specified and thus are unable to make a judgement of the man based on solely that particular pair of incidents.

I think you're letting yourself fall for another type of hype, that of Newspaper propaganda.

Ah, the pressure! Silly me! Oh well, that's all right then, poor Wayne was under terrible pressure and the only possible way to relieve it was to go and empty his load into the Auld Slapper. Righto, got it.

See, I thought pressure was being a squaddie stuck in some hellhole with your life in danger or being a surgeon performing life saving surgery but no, it's poor Wayne who is suffering.

Newspaper propaganda? Are you out for a laugh? If it's all "newspaper propaganda" then why has Rooney not sued for libel? Surely you can join the dots?

I have no idea about the state of his marriage when he was banging the whores, but it really was a remarkable act of forgiveness for his missus to put it all behind them, wasn't it?

Seems very much like his missus subscribes to your school of thinking that earning £300,000 per week entitles Wayne to plenty of forgiveness, do you reckon she'd be as forgiving if he were working in a warehouse earning £300 per week?

Money has NOTHING to do with your moral values or how you conduct yourself in life, just because Wayne Rooney gives his family a millionaire lifestyle doesn't give him the right to behave like an animal and humiliate his wife - money does not buy you that right.

It seems you are very tolerant of his behaviour, perhaps when you have children of your own you may see his behaviour differently.

All I can say is that if my daughters future husband went whoring whilst married to her - let alone whilst she was pregnant - I'd stick a rusty steak knife right in his ball sack.

• Options
    He will have a life after football but he is not brand beckham. I reckon he will do something similar to Becks such as UNICEF ambassador.
  • Options
    The goal he scored for Everton against us in the 2-2 draw was top class, superb talent.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Why shouldn't there be a documentary about him when he's now the all time top scorer for his country? That was really the essence of the film wasn't it? Agree with Greenie, Gazza for me was a better player.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    They showed a goal against us last night was that the one Steve?

His mum is still a dinner lady, but she may well choose to do that. His brothers live in very Danny Green style houses in Croxteth.

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

Enjoyed it.

My thoughts exactly.

Ah, the pressure! Silly me! Oh well, that's all right then, poor Wayne was under terrible pressure and the only possible way to relieve it was to go and empty his load into the Auld Slapper. Righto, got it.

See, I thought pressure was being a squaddie stuck in some hellhole with your life in danger or being a surgeon performing life saving surgery but no, it's poor Wayne who is suffering.

Newspaper propaganda? Are you out for a laugh? If it's all "newspaper propaganda" then why has Rooney not sued for libel? Surely you can join the dots?

I have no idea about the state of his marriage when he was banging the whores, but it really was a remarkable act of forgiveness for his missus to put it all behind them, wasn't it?

Seems very much like his missus subscribes to your school of thinking that earning £300,000 per week entitles Wayne to plenty of forgiveness, do you reckon she'd be as forgiving if he were working in a warehouse earning £300 per week?

Money has NOTHING to do with your moral values or how you conduct yourself in life, just because Wayne Rooney gives his family a millionaire lifestyle doesn't give him the right to behave like an animal and humiliate his wife - money does not buy you that right.

It seems you are very tolerant of his behaviour, perhaps when you have children of your own you may see his behaviour differently.

All I can say is that if my daughters future husband went whoring whilst married to her - let alone whilst she was pregnant - I'd stick a rusty steak knife right in his ball sack.

Sadly, you are mistaken. Read some footballers autobiographies or the Secret Footballer and you will discover that there are many, many women married to millionaire footballers that turn a blind eye to their behaviour for the lifestyle that they would lose if they challenged them.

I would also suggest that there are even more of those type of women that are married to rich men, that are not footballers, that accept things that they would not if he was not so rich. I suspect it also works with men married to wealthy women.

Love has a, completely, different meaning these days to what it did, say, twenty years ago.

Basically if you are rich enough you can get away with just about anything because most people (and I am convinced it is most people) will accept all kinds of $h1t for money and/or to protect their lifestyle and that of their family.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Enjoyed it.

My thoughts exactly.

Sadly, you are mistaken. Read some footballers autobiographies or the Secret Footballer and you will discover that there are many, many women married to millionaire footballers that turn a blind eye to their behaviour for the lifestyle that they would lose if they challenged them.

I would also suggest that there are even more of those type of women that are married to rich men, that are not footballers, that accept things that they would not if he was not so rich. I suspect it also works with men married to wealthy women.

Love has a, completely, different meaning these days to what it did, say, twenty years ago.

Basically if you are rich enough you can get away with just about anything because most people (and I am convinced it is most people) will accept all kinds of $h1t for money and/or to protect their lifestyle and that of their family.

The wives of Giggs and Terry are fairly accurate proof of this.

You don't hear of many footballers wives leaving them after their indiscretions, in fact the only one that immediately springs to mind is Cheryl Cole, and she was arguably more famous than her husband anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

Enjoyed it.

My thoughts exactly.

You don't hear of many footballers wives leaving them after their indiscretions, in fact the only one that immediately springs to mind is Cheryl Cole, and she was arguably more famous than her husband anyway.
    Surprised more don't go down the Mrs Parlour route.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Enjoyed it.

My thoughts exactly.

Surprised more don't go down the Mrs Parlour route.
    I'm not. You need to remember that she didn't leave him, he left her. Chances are that had he been willing to stay with her and carry on behind her back she would have accepted it.

Also you need to factor in that many footballers have a prenup, so a separation/divorce would mean that there was no entitlement for a share of the assets, just maintenance for the children, which would be a lot less that Mre Parlour was, eventually, awarded.
  • Options
    I watched in and rather enjoyed it. Sure it smoothed over the most unfortunate parts of his behaviour. Why dig it all up publicly again? It could only cause grief to him and more importantly his family. Besides those who know about it won't let it disappear from his story, as this thread proves.

I always thought Wayne was a teriffic player but he suffered from poor self-control. Who am I to judge that? I've made mistakes, just not in the public eye.

The only time I felt anger and disgust watching the programme was when they showed the England/Portugal game where Ronaldo did all he could to get Rooney sent off (successfully) I never understood Ronaldo's behaviour against a clubmate and so he claimed, a friend.
    When Rooney said they made up straight after the game, I have to say I was shocked. I'd have been less shocked if Rooney had lamped Ronaldo.
    I still dislike Ronaldo to this day because of that incident.
  • Options
    You know what I think plays a big part in the amount of stick he gets? Jealousy.

Think of how many lads over the last 50-100 years have grown up wanting to play for England. Extremely few have the privilege to do so. Only ONE person can say they are the record England goal scorer. But the typical anti-England brigade hate to see someone like him do well and be positively acknowledged.
  • Options

Even Lineker looked embarrassed...
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

PL54 said:

Here we go, here we go, here we go

?
    Do you get it now ?
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Enjoyed it.

My thoughts exactly.

Surely it was far WORSE in the old days, massive social stigma against divorced women, and far less likely to get a generous cut from the divorce settlement for a start!

Lots of marriages down the years have been shams, rich gay men marrying for respectability, or men notorious for hanging around Mayfair dens of ill repute, the difference then is that it was a lot easier to keep secret.
  • Options

Enjoyed it.

My thoughts exactly.

Don't let it get to you.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Why was my post deleted?
    No answer?
    I'd imagine it's because I called someone a 'prick'.
    You can tell someone to 'fuck off ' or threaten them with violence and that's acceptable, apparently.
    Little men sticking together...