Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney Documentary

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Because it was unnecessarily abusive to a fellow poster. Which you already know. No more please, thank you.
  • Options

Because it was unnecessarily abusive to a fellow poster. Which you already know. No more please, thank you.

I understand that; what I don't understand is why equally abusive posts and those threatening violence go completely uncensored.

• Options
    Does it matter if he chose to fk brasses, why does it bother people so much what these footballers do.

Jealousy is such a terrible burden to carry around

Let it go as a Disney Princess once said
  • Options
    Redskin said:

I understand that; what I don't understand is why equally abusive posts and those threatening violence go completely uncensored.

At a wild guess it's because he doesn't have time (unpaid time) to trawl through all the nonsense and profanity as a collective we throw about and moderate every single one every day.

It's words on an Internet forum. I don't lose sleep over them and I don't think you should either but @AFKABartram and @LoOkOuT and all the other unpaid geeks do a very good job of keeping a lid on some of the more shitty stuff we (as a collective) come out with

Chill down brother
  • Options
    Who did he call a prick?
  • Options
    Showed a great goal he scored against us in 2003 for Everton.
  • Options
    I actually really enjoyed the doc
    My opinion of Rooney is still the same very over-rated,
    but there's no denying he's learnt from his misdemeanors now he's got kids and fair play to him for actually having the clear desire in wanting to play for England
  • Options
    This whole over-rated thing still confuses me. Who exactly over-rates him?

Whenever the topic comes up he gets nothing but criticism, whether it be amongst average football fans or the media.

If anything I would say that he is bizarrely becoming an underrated figure.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

This whole over-rated thing still confuses me. Who exactly over-rates him?

Whenever the topic comes up he gets nothing but criticism, whether it be amongst average football fans or the media.

If anything I would say that he is bizarrely becoming an underrated figure.

I think there are several reasons for this - as a 16 year old against seasoned professionals he was an unbelievable talent. The issue with Rooney is that he was expected to go on and become another Messi or Ronaldo and he simply isn't that type of player. Also he does suffer from a loss of form more than the aforementioned gentlemen.

In his defense I would say their are mitigating circumstances. There clearly have been periods of his career when he should not have allowed himself to play when he was clearly carrying injuries. Also, he is a victim of his own ability in that he can play in a lot of different roles and his willingness to do so hasn't always suited him i.e. when Fergie had him playing as a holding midfielder.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I’ve always like Rooney.

He is an incredibly talented footballer, one of the most naturally talented this country has produced for a long-time. One that due to his humble, working class upbringing, has certain imperfections that sometimes makes dealing with fame and fortune that more difficult. His attitude on the pitch has negatively impacted him at times, and off the pitch he has made very public mistakes, that somehow always get the forgiveness that being a multi-millionaire amazingly brings.

But because of that raw, working class upbringing, you think you can relate to him

For a while, he was simply outstanding. Some of his goals catalogue was incredible, and he was widely promoted into the very select, top elite of footballers that are in wider commercial demand. For a while that was driven by what he was actually doing on the pitch. But he has stayed in that category long beyond when he was performing at that level, purely I think because he is still the best English player.

But from what i've seen, his performance over the last 3 years has no way been up to the standard of what he was performing at 6-10 years ago.

I enjoyed the programme. It was a ridiculously positive PR-managed ‘look at us lovely, normal family piece’ that had me Googlebox style offering comments about old ladies and indiscretions numerous times through, but it was still a good programme imo.

It also made me realise what a huge disaster Capello was for the England job (and to a much lesser extent Sven). While Sven was a little too soft and unmotivating, I think he was impacted with a little bit of bad fortune at times. Capello though just alienated the squad and we absolutely wasted those years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I personally have a lot more respect for Rooney in the last few years then i did in his early career, he seems to have matured on and off the pitch, sure he was always a great talent but like a lot of fans, i always found it hard to really warm to him other then in desperation he would produce some magic in a tournament for England.

The most frustrating thing about Rooney for me personally is that i believe he does have as much natural talent as the likes of Ronaldo but where they differ is that Ronaldo & other many top players have that desire in training to always learn & improve their game, where as i think Rooney settled for what he is, which is fine as he has had a fantastic club career and an England record that is unlikely to be beaten any time soon but as an England fan it is hard not to be a little disappointed when i think he could have been even better if he had that commitment to constantly improve.

• Options

I personally have a lot more respect for Rooney in the last few years then i did in his early career, he seems to have matured on and off the pitch, sure he was always a great talent but like a lot of fans, i always found it hard to really warm to him other then in desperation he would produce some magic in a tournament for England.

The most frustrating thing about Rooney for me personally is that i believe he does have as much natural talent as the likes of Ronaldo but where they differ is that Ronaldo & other many top players have that desire in training to always learn & improve their game, where as i think Rooney settled for what he is, which is fine as he has had a fantastic club career and an England record that is unlikely to be beaten any time soon but as an England fan it is hard not to be a little disappointed when i think he could have been even better if he had that commitment to constantly improve.

Agree completely - I remember reading a quote by Rene Meulensteen where he said Ronaldo trained every day like he wanted to be the best in the world, Rooney trained like he already was.
  • Options

Ronaldo was world class when he was at Man U, but stepped up to another level at Real, maybe spurred on by being with (even) better players, but also the rivalry with Messi. I can imagine his ego (in a good way) spurring him on to be better than Messi!

I guess Rooney is comfortable with what he's achieved in life, and the level he's reached
  • Options

To be honest, I had reservations about Rooney and yes, I was concerned about those horrible groundless rumours of his sexual relations with geriatric prostitutes but having seen that compelling and well researched BBC documentary by Gary Lineker, I now see how wrong I was.

Rooney single-handedly saved England from oblivion, propped up Alex Ferguson's career, is a solid family man who loves his kids and when he kisses those old ladies in the streets near his childhood home, he is only being friendly and respecting his working class roots. God bless him!

What a wonder that such an expensive PR company can pursuade the BBC to screen such pointless propaganda fluff about a millionaire footballer and we all fall for it as well as pay for it.

Arise Sir Rooney of Garbage and let's make him a saint while we can. Christ almighty- at least make a programme about someone interesting.

• Options
    ^ 'Beyond Parody' ^
  • Options
    The thing that impresses me most about Rooney's career is that at 16 people were talking about him being one of the greats in years to come. Think about how many players have this sort of pressure put on them nowadays, only for them to end up playing in the Championship or something.

If back in 2003 someone from the future had travelled back in time and said "Rooney will go on to be the greatest ever England goal scorer"....Would we have taken it and considered it a success? Of course we would.

Nobody else has scored those goals for him. No wonder the pressure on the England team is deemed ridiculous each tournament, when their greatest ever goal scorer gets such stick.
  • Options
    Also think it is unfair to compare him to Messi and Ronaldo in these debates. Those two are not World Class - they are on an elite level that is above that reserved for only a handful of people in the last 100 years.
  • Options
    It's not Wayne Rooney that is overpaid, overrated, overexposed etc. Its the Premier League/Premiership/EPL that is the problem. Best league in the world we are constantly being told. We all know that is rubbish.
    As far as English footballers go Rooney is the best, by a country mile, than anyone else since Gazza. And still is today.
    I haven't watched it btw.
  • Options
    Some girls at work who have no interest in football were talking about watching this because they wanted to see inside his house. That was enough to put me off watching it.
  • Options
    yeah I enjoyed it, apart from the excess of money these people earn.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love reading the jealous posts and the outraged because of a man's personal indiscretion, between two consenting adults, yes he hurt Coleen and risked his whole sanctuary of marriage and family, but that was his choice, it's nothing to do with anyone and has no bearing in him being an outstanding footballer and one to be proud of.

Jezza kyle says those who bleat on the most about issues like that have guilt of their own, those In glass houses need not throw stones

Becks Rooney all the same jealous people of their talent and lifestyle knock them for not being the impeccable totally faultless morale man, just because they earn more in a day than most in a year, they have homes send cars that most would love they live the life many would and can only dream of.

They do this because believe it or not they are in the 1% of proper superstar footballers based on what they can do with a ball and nothing else, if you truly believe that Rooney and players like Beckham are not in the 1% of proper talented better than virtually all in their chosen position then your not really being true to yourself as to why you dislike them so much, yet top managers top players top ex pros all Can see what you chose not to and all can't be wrong and you right

• Options

I love reading the jealous posts and the outraged because of a man's personal indiscretion, between two consenting adults, yes he hurt Coleen and risked his whole sanctuary of marriage and family, but that was his choice, it's nothing to do with anyone and has no bearing in him being an outstanding footballer and one to be proud of.

Jezza kyle says those who bleat on the most about issues like that have guilt of their own, those In glass houses need not throw stones

Becks Rooney all the same jealous people of their talent and lifestyle knock them for not being the impeccable totally faultless morale man, just because they earn more in a day than most in a year, they have homes send cars that most would love they live the life many would and can only dream of.

They do this because believe it or not they are in the 1% of proper superstar footballers based on what they can do with a ball and nothing else, if you truly believe that Rooney and players like Beckham are not in the 1% of proper talented better than virtually all in their chosen position then your not really being true to yourself as to why you dislike them so much, yet top managers top players top ex pros all Can see what you chose not to and all can't be wrong and you right

Fair enough, but I think he opens himself up for discussions about his personal life when he does a TV program about his home life.

Incidentally, I am in no way jealous of him, I would never swap the anonymity I enjoy for the money he has, not do I judge him for his actions, and mainly (in contrast to Jeremy Kyle's opinion) because I am not perfect and I have discretions that I am not proud of.