Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England team you would like to see at Euro 2016

Assuming everyone stays fit, what would your starting XI be for England next summer. I must admit to not watching them as much in qualifiers anymore, but as I'm watching tonight I got thinking about next summer.

Hart

Clyne Stones Cahill Bertrand

Sterling Henderson Barkley

Rooney

Walcott Kane

Bit of weird formation, but I can't really see a decent enough left winger, unless you stuck Sterling out there, Walcott on the right and Rooney up top with Kane.

Comments

• Options
    5 attacking players??? Are you on drugs??
    Saying that I'd want to find a place for a fit Daniel Sturridge
  • Options
    Hart
    Clyne, Stones, Jagielka, Baines
    Milner
    Sterling, Henderson, Barkley
    Rooney, Sturridge.
  • Options
    Hart

Clyne
    Smalling
    Cahill
    Bertrand

Henderson
    Barkley

Walcott
    Rooney
    Sterling

Sturridge
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

5 attacking players??? Are you on drugs??
    Saying that I'd want to find a place for a fit Daniel Sturridge

Must admit, I'd forgotten about Sturridge. Okay take out Henderson and put Rooney back into the middle, Walcott where Rooney was and Sturridge up top with Kane. That should give it a bit more balance right :wink:
  • Options
    Hart
    Clyne
    Shaw if fit / Baines
    Smalling
    Stones

Henderson
    Barkley

Walcott
    Rooney
    Sterling

Sturridge
  • Options
    Hart
    Clyne ... Cahill ... Gomez ... Bertrand
    Henderson ... Shelvey
    Barkley ... Rooney ... Walcott
    Sturridge
  • Options
    Wilshere to come back when/if fit
  • Options
    Hart
    Clyne
    Cahill/Jagielka
    Stones
    Baines/Shaw
    Henderson
    Milner
    Barkley
    Walcott
    Rooney
    Sturridge
  • Options
    It doesn't matter, Hodgson is the manager. Write it off.
  • Options
    How is Henderson sneaking into all these teams? Are we so lost that Jordan Henderson is the man we turn to?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hart
    Clyne Smalling Cahill Baines
    Milner Henderson
    Walcott Rooney Sterling
    Sturridge

Forster, Butland, Stones, Shaw, Gomez, Shelvey, Barkley, Wilshere, Alli, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Kane, Welbeck
  • Options
    Hart, Clyne, Cahill, Stones, Shaw/Bertrand, Wilshere, Milner, Barkley, Sterling, Rooney, Sturridge.
  • Options
    Bit strange... bit different but I think too much emphasis is put on pace and using quick wingers (Do the Germans / Spanish have any super quick players... Pedro is the only one I can think of?)

I know I always say that England need to find their own style but...

Hart

(Use pace in Defence, means that they can combat and get back quickly to deal with the dangerous through ball, whilst all four can play the ball)

(The usual two sitting in front of the Defence, helping out to win the ball and spray it around)
    Henderson ... Wilshere

(Three attack minded attacking Midfielders, all noted for their ability to pass / pass / pass)
    Barkley ... Rooney ... Shelvey

(Up front the big man, the one who can hold it up to bring others into play whilst having the ability to score)
    Kane

Means that the Midfield have to learn to be pin point with their passing... the likes of the Midfield are quick enough to deal with any counter-attacks and we wouldnt have to worry about Walcott / Sterling / Townsend running blind down a cul-de-sac before either crossing to a Defender or being tackled and so putting pressure on our full-back.

Either way its something different from the tried and failed method so whats to lose?
  • Options
    Austin should be in there somewhere. Please, surely, please Roy. He's got to be ahead of donkey Welbeck
  • Options
    Further confirmation to not listen to the people at the pub who says "I can be the manager"

It's annoying for once we actually seem to have a lot of attacking options but ultimately a few of them will have to sit as some of this formations are absolutely mental.

Hart

Clyne
    Stones
    Smalling
    Baines

Wilshere
    Carrick
    Henderson

Walcott
    Sturridge
    Sterling

I think Shaw pre injury was on pace to be better than Baines but at the same time we desperately seem to need a set piece taker and there probably isn't much between them. I have defended Rooney more than most, but frankly at this stage of his career, Sturridge when fit and firing is simply better and he is not a number 10 so despite their ability him and Kane will have to be benched. Henderson I think is our closest from midfield to being a goal threat as Barkley needs to be more of an impact sub at the moment as he gives the ball away far too often.

I really think that front three could potentially be frightening with all their movement, I know Sterling gets a hard time but still his close control/movement is way above someone at his age and I think he is still a bit low on confidence but I am sure that will change over the course of this season.

Lallana/Rooney/Kane/Barkley/Shelvey are all close to getting minutes though and I would probably end up rotating a few of them.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Hart
    Clyne Stones Cahill Baines
    Wilsh Hendo
    Walcott Rooney Sterling
    Sturridge

Flexible with the positioning as the game unfolds, or a more defensive set up would include Jonjo in there for Sterling and formation amended . Infact maybe even Smalling in for Stones on experience.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    For my two penneth.

Hart
    Clyne
    Stones
    Jagielka
    Shaw
    Wilshere
    Carrick
    Sterling
    Rooney
    Walcott
    Kane

Subs: butland, forster, Cahill, milner, Baines, smalling, barkley, sturridge, ox, vardy, welbeck, shelvey.
  • Options
    Hart
    Clyne Cahill Stones Bertrand
    Milner Henderson
    Walcott Rooney Sterling
    Sturridge

Butland, Forster, Smalling, Jagielka, Baines, Shelvey, Wilshere, Barkley, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Kane, Welbeck
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    If everybody was fit:

Hart
    Clyne, Stones, Smalling, Shaw
    Carrick, Wilshire
    Walcott, Barkley, Sterling
    Sturridge

- Rooney has lost it.
    - We need to keep the ball well in the middle - Henderson and Milner work hard but lack that quality. I'd have Shelvey in before them.
    - Oxlade-Chamberlain would be pushing Walcott.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Hart

Clyne Terry Cahill Shaw

Shelvey
    Hendo Wilshere

Sterling Barkley
    Sturridge
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the back 5 is fairly settled. I'd like to see a 433 type formation adopted similar to tonight. That would probably be up front with Rooney central, Walcott and Sterling as the "wide" supporting players. True wingers have less impact at international level given how deep and compact a lot of teams are. It also gives a fair amount of freedom given a number of players can interchange.

Assuming a 3 in the middle made up of 2 holding types and an attacker there's enough in the team that you can change to a flat 4/5 in midfield if needs be.

I think we have a decent enough squad to do well enough next year to employ different formations and change it up mid game if it has to be done.

Also I don't understand the Hodgson hate that goes around. Clearly a very good manager that has overseen probably the best qualifying campaign we've ever had. Write off the WC, we had an incredibly hard group and certain players just didn't turn up. To think we were so close to getting Harry we should be praising Roy alone for that.
  • Options
    If Wilshere is fit he has to get in somewhere

Hart
    Shaw
    Stones
    Cahill
    Walker
    Wilshere
    Carrick
    Milner
    Chamberlain
    Rooney
    Sturridge
  • Options
    Hart

Clyne, Stones, Smalling, Shaw/ Bertrand

Henderson, Wilshere

Walcott, Barkley, Sterling

Sturridge
  • Options

Bit strange... bit different but I think too much emphasis is put on pace and using quick wingers (Do the Germans / Spanish have any super quick players... Pedro is the only one I can think of?)

I know I always say that England need to find their own style but...

Hart

(Use pace in Defence, means that they can combat and get back quickly to deal with the dangerous through ball, whilst all four can play the ball)

(The usual two sitting in front of the Defence, helping out to win the ball and spray it around)
    Henderson ... Wilshere

(Three attack minded attacking Midfielders, all noted for their ability to pass / pass / pass)
    Barkley ... Rooney ... Shelvey

(Up front the big man, the one who can hold it up to bring others into play whilst having the ability to score)
    Kane

Means that the Midfield have to learn to be pin point with their passing... the likes of the Midfield are quick enough to deal with any counter-attacks and we wouldnt have to worry about Walcott / Sterling / Townsend running blind down a cul-de-sac before either crossing to a Defender or being tackled and so putting pressure on our full-back.

Either way its something different from the tried and failed method so whats to lose?

Drop shelvey and you're onto something
  • Options
    You have to play Walcott and Sterling. Pace is vital in International Games. For me it would be Hart, Clyne, Stones, Cahill, Shaw, Henderson, Wilshere, Walcott, Sterling, Oxlade Chamberlain, Rooney
  • Options
    Cant believe Henderson is in most teams.No disrespect to West Brom or Norwich but do you think if he played for either of these teams that he would be any where near this team? I dont think so.id rather Dickie Henderson.

This would be my team

Hart

Clyne
    Smalling
    Cahill
    Bertrand

Barkley
    Wilshire
    Sterling

Walcott
    Rooney
    Sturridge
  • Options
    Think we should also be building a team for the next world cup; Rooney won't be there by then so leave him out. Vardy always makes an impact so start him and see. So

Hart
    Clyne, Stones,Cahill (to add experience) Baines
    Barkley, Shelvey, Lalalna
    Walcot, Vardy,Sterling

Maybe too attack minded...?
  • Options
    Hart
    Clyne Smalling Cahill Baines
    Barkley Carrick Wilshere
    Walcott Sturridge Wellbeck
  • Options
    At the moment with the way the other major nations are going about qualification, I don't believe England should change the way they lineup depending on the opposition.

Smalling would be my first choice centre back. I think he's improved an incredible amount over the last year or so.

Two of Carrick, Henderson, Wilshire are essential. Barkley alongside the two in midfield.

Rooney through the middle with Sterling and Walcott either side.

You then have players like Sturridge, Kane, Milner, Ox, Wellbeck, Lallana, Vardy on the bench.

I'm quite pleased with our options at the moment.
  • Options
    I would like to see Walcott in the centre with Rooney playing just behind, probably go for Smalling & Stones as the CB partnership with Clyne & Baines.

Henderson, Barkley & Sterling all need to be involved too but not sure about the rest of midfield, tough choice but great to have those options.