Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Warren Mitchell-Alf Garnett RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    Saw him at the Tramshed in Woolwich in his 'Thoughts of chairman Alf' show. Had his WH scarf nicked - and got it back. Superb character. RIP.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    As others have said a charming man. RIP. I met him at a Spurs game - some corporate hospitality ages ago - Ardiles was playing - and he was the celebrity guest. A great character who was much amused about the abuse he got from Spurs supporters who didn't realise he was one of their own. He had quite a posh accent but slipped readily into Alf mode for our entertainment.
  • Options
    RIP Warren
  • Options
    loved tddup especially una stubbs phworrrrrrrrr.

r i p
  • Options

Great character actor. I always believed that Warren Mitchell was much older than he actually was. When the show was first aired he was barely 40 whilst Dandy Nicholls, who played his long suffering wife, was actually almost 60.

RIP Warren

In the first ever episode of TDUDP which was part of Comedy Playhouse Alf's wife was actually played by Gretcha Franklin (Ethel from Eastenders). Una Stubbs and Tony Booth were in the first episode but the family name was Ramsey and not Garnett.
  • Options
    RIP Alf
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Riviera said:

Great character actor. I always believed that Warren Mitchell was much older than he actually was. When the show was first aired he was barely 40 whilst Dandy Nicholls, who played his long suffering wife, was actually almost 60.

RIP Warren

In the first ever episode of TDUDP which was part of Comedy Playhouse Alf's wife was actually played by Gretcha Franklin (Ethel from Eastenders). Una Stubbs and Tony Booth were in the first episode but the family name was Ramsey and not Garnett.
    Alf Ramsey ? i wonder why it was changed !

Warren Mitchell was a superb actor on the stage.
    Death of a salesman,King Lear, The Caretaker and the Merchant of Venice
    were just some of his successful portayals.

These were Warren's own words when asked what his Obituary would be:

Warren Mitchell struggled in the latter part of his career to discard one particular
    TV image. He overcame typecasting and played many different parts to critical
    success. He is survived by his wife ,children, grandchildren and ALF GARNETT.

RIP
  • Options
    Classic comedy, brilliantly original, great writing and acting. Congratulations Warren, 89 and dying at a good age, but will never be forgotten. RIP
  • Options
    RIP. One of the best sitcoms of all time imo