Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonah Lomu - RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    So sad. RIP.
  • Options
    Sad news. A great Rugby player and from what you hear a very decent bloke, my condolences to his family and friends.
    I remember poor Underwood clinging onto him and just be shake off like a rag dole as if it was yesterday, that is what is ment by being a graet player in your sport I suppose.
  • Options
    Life is so f***ing unfair! RIP Jonah - one of the greatest sportsmen in history.
  • Options
    Very sad news, and another shock as so young. R.I.P.
  • Options
    Really gutted to hear this. A real sporting icon. RIP.
  • Options
    Puts life into perspective this, particularly for us other kidney recipients.

RIP
  • Options
    Very sad news.RIP.
  • Options
    that is very sad ~RIP
  • Options
    Anyone who saw that match against England will never forget it. Apparently Tony Underwood made the mistake of winking at Jonah during the Haka and as Jonah said "You shouldn't wink at me when I am doing the Haka" Great, iconic sportsman redefined the game somewhat and apparently a really nice guy.

Doesn't seem fair that he is taken form us so young. RIP Jonah you will be missed by all sports fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So shocked to hear this sad news. RIP and thoughts for his family. It makes you realise how precious life is, whatever your role in this world. Also shocked to hear of his battle with kidney problems over the years, A lesser man would have been resentful but not Jonah.
  • Options
    Not many rugby players become genuine global superstars - he was one. A great off the pitch, and an utter legend on it.
    RIP Jonah
  • Options
    It's a sad world we live in when the world news is concentrating on the vile people in Paris and not reflecting on the life of a SPORTING GREAT.

RIP JONAH YOU WERE A CREDIT TO YOUR SPORT AND COUNTRY.
  • Options
    This is a real shock. RIP
  • Options
    Really sad news, the greatest player to never win the World Cup
  • Options
    No sportsman in history ever made the game-changing impact he did - and he was only 19!!

One of the iconic sportsmen of the 20th century and there are millions of rugby fans worldwide who only got into the sport because of Jonah.

Rest in Peace big fella.
  • Options
    R I P
  • Options
    That match against England in 1995 will be one of the ironic moments in the game - a true legend.

He only just arrived back home from the UK the other day..

So sad and sudden.

• Options
    So sad, a true sports legend in a world where that word is used too lightly sometimes. RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An absolute rugby superstar. I loved him!

RIP young Jonah.

• Options
    Very sad news RIP Jonah
  • Options
    I remember watching the 1995 game and being unable to really grasp what was happening.

Here was a bloke treating an international team with utter contempt, it was like a pro player joining in a schoolboy game and just trampling people.

England were a bloody decent side too....
  • Options
    Far, far too young. What a great player though, and will be remembered for a long time.

RIP
  • Options
    What sad,sad news.

Jonah was a true legend of his sport both statistically and as a spectacle in an era when the word legend is used all too lightly.

Nobody lucky enough to witness it will ever forget that huge rampaging black clad figure treading white clad opponents underfoot or brushing them aside as a runaway buffalo would hoards of flies.

RIP
  • Options
    Jonah said he had such a great time in England and Wales when the World cup was on, he was thinking of bringing his family here to live.

I knew he had a transplant but didn't know his body had rejected it after 8 years and he was back on dialysis.
    He was the guy who transcended Rugby and was the superstar of the sport.
    Many big wingers now, but none in his class.

The Boy from Tonga who after becoming an All black,
    Helped make Rugby into a professional sport.

RIP to A New Zealand legend.

• Options
    Absolute rugby legend & changed the modern game.

Remember him in 95 destroying England on his own at the mere age of 19, and could not dislike him despite of what he did, RIP big fella.

Was as good as it gets when talking about sporting role models.
  • Options
    Much sadness in NZ with the loss of a legend. The iconic moment when he ran through Mike Catt and the England defence to score that wonderful World Cup try has been played over and over and the NZ TV commentary of the try is folklore. Keith Quinn was lost for words and as Lomu kept going towards the try line all Quinn could say was oh oh oh Lomu Try.

A talkback caller yesterday recalled how she and her family were watching the game together with their much-loved grandfather. As Jonah ploughed his way through the English defence and with Keith Quinn doing his oh oh oh bit - the rugby fanatic grandfather died from a heart attack - with a smile on his face.