Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

France Security

I am going to France this weekend for ten days visiting the Christmas market at Strasbourg.
The recent events in Paris have made me a little apprehensive.
If my trip had not been arranged for the last four months, I would not be going.
Of course we should not let the terrorist intimidate and frighten us, but I will no doubt feel a bit vulnerable on the ferry and around the market.
Would you go?

Comments

• Options
    Had I been going Paris I might have a few doubts (and even that is unusual from me)... Because its Strasbourg, I honestly wouldn't worry too much, nothing has happened over there since all the problems so am sure you'd be fine
  • Options
    I remember the day after 7/7 which was pretty tense, but was really impressed by seeing people shopping in Oxford Street and that evening drinking in bars, the sort of optional activity you could put off, but people got on with it.

Enjoy Strasbourg, the events of last Friday were clearly planned in advance, so it's most unlikely France will be attacked again in the near future
  • Options
    I went to last night's England game. I was fully expecting to be searched and there to be huge queues to get in, but we literally walked out of the station and straight into the ground, very surprising.
  • Options

I am going to France this weekend for ten days visiting the Christmas market at Strasbourg.
    If my trip had not been arranged for the last four months, I would not be going.
    Of course we should not let the terrorist intimidate and frighten us, but I will no doubt feel a bit vulnerable on the ferry and around the market.
    Would you go?

Absolutely and unequivocally yet. Strasbourg is beautiful and I have been hoping to get to the Xmas market there for a long time.

As a matter of interest, how are are you getting there? Are you flying into Strasbourg (or somewhere else)? Or taking the train (TV), via Paris (Eurostar)? Or some other route?
  • Options
    Yes, without question.
  • Options
    Steve Clarke (Trust chair) arrived in Paris on Monday on business (not Trust business obviously :-)). In a text I asked him how it was, his answer was

''As beautiful as ever. It's fine. Never know anything out of the ordinary, except the mini supermarket below the apartment had a security guard checking all bags"
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I am going to Paris next week to visit my two French nephews and a niece who live there. They are getting on with living their lives there. What else can they do? And what else can I do but do the same thing - get on with my life and visit them just as arranged? Getting on with things is an act of defiance.
  • Options

Steve Clarke (Trust chair) arrived in Paris on Monday on business (not Trust business obviously :-)). In a text I asked him how it was, his answer was

''As beautiful as ever. It's fine. Never know anything out of the ordinary, except the mini supermarket below the apartment had a security guard checking all bags"

Is that to check that they've paid for their bags?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Shit happens. It could happen anywhere, so you either give in to the fear and don't go anywhere or do anything. Or live your life as you want but heeding any advice there may be.
    I'd go, I'd also go to Paris right now if I'd had a trip planned.
  • Options
    Have a great time in France
  • Options
    Don't let the bastards win. Keep calm and carry on.
  • Options
    I'd go today if I had a trip planned but that would be unlikely as I don't like Paris much. All we can do is carry on as normal, if not they have won.
  • Options
    Stop off in Calais and bring some Syrians back with you - a do gooder somewhere has a spare bedroom that's not being used
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Would you go?

Absolutely and unequivocally yet. Strasbourg is beautiful and I have been hoping to get to the Xmas market there for a long time.

As a matter of interest, how are are you getting there? Are you flying into Strasbourg (or somewhere else)? Or taking the train (TV), via Paris (Eurostar)? Or some other route?
    I’m taking my motorhome across Chizz.
    We have been looking forward to this trip for a while.
    Thanks to all for your excellent comments and encouragement.
    One Charlton family.

• Options
    I would go, can't let these people win. That said, I wouldn't go near a Muslim country on holiday. I still wake up in a sweat after nightmares about Marrakesh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ten days at a christmas market? How big is this place?!
  • Options

Not to mention a Weekend seems to have increased to 10-days ;)
  • Options

I bloody wish!
  • Options

Need to explain.
    Cross Dover Dunkirk ferry in motorhome Sunday.
    Travel during daylight Monday, Tuesday arrive Wednesday.
    Sight-see Thursday, Christmas market Saturday/ Sunday or maybe train to Basel.
    Return to U.k. on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Agree with others go and enjoy your trip, if you get the chance (or inclination to do so) the battle fields around Verdun are well worth a visit....not to far off the Dunkirk-Strasbourg route.
  • Options
    I'm hoping to come back to the UK before Christmas, the first proper visit in over 3 years, and was gonna ask the same question
  • Options
    100% yes.

Would I go to Sharm or elsewhere in North Africa? 100% no.

Like many of us having lived in London throughout the Troubles I've been close enough to have my own near misses, hear the explosions and see the dreadful aftermath. Everyone makes their own choices and has their acceptable level of risk and it would be fully understandable if others decided they were not comfortable continuing.

But for me it was never an issue that I would continue trying to live and work as normally as possible and as society doing so was as close to a metaphorical 'feck off!' as we can collectively muster.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm visiting my sister in Northern Ireland for Xmas. She has a mirror on a stick she uses every time she uses her car to check for devices strapped underneath.
    Frankly I'd rather be in France.
  • Options
    I wouldn't of gone Sharm or anywhere of that ilk before this carry on and it ain't got nothing to do with mental c***s shooting at me. It's more to do with the materialistic Brits who I'd probably meet out there

• Options
    Not especially relevant to this particular trip but the FCO is currently recommending cancellation of any school trips to/in France until the 22nd Nov.
    Latest update: Summary - the Foreign and Commonwealth Office recommends that British schools planning to take groups to France between now and 22 November follow the French Ministry of Education’s advice not to travel; the French Ministry of Education has advised that school trips already under way in France may continue as originally planned
    Just in case anyone has any kids due to head off there in the next few days.