Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Bitter Ex-Employee (Michael Morrison)

WSSWSS
edited November 2015 in General Charlton
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=114561&headline=Michael Morrison opens up about Charlton Athletic exit and sadness at his old club's situation&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2015

On his transfer:

“I read that it was put as undisclosed at the time,” he said. “It makes no difference to me, but there wasn’t a fee. I had a verbal agreement which they honoured.”

On Fraye:

“Jose did everything - not because Karel couldn’t do anything. I’m sure Jose listened to Karel and that they made plans together, but Jose was very hands-on.”

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Don't see him as being bitter about the situation...

Like what you've posted they're interesting comments about Fraeye but as Morrison says: We didn’t have much training, because we had eight games in the space of 28 days in April. There were a lot of video sessions, which the manager took

Shame Michael doesn't give his full opinion on the move to Romania and Astra Giurgiu
  • Options

Don't see him as being bitter about the situation...

Like what you've posted they're interesting comments about Fraeye but as Morrison says: We didn’t have much training, because we had eight games in the space of 28 days in April. There were a lot of video sessions, which the manager took

Shame Michael doesn't give his full opinion on the move to Romania and Astra Giurgiu

Woosh
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

No fee involved, for a player of that quality. Scandalous. After 3 months without a win, with Bikey looking like a complete liability and Onyewu apparently still not considered good enough to replace him, do we think Pinocchio was cursing herself for letting a £1million asset go for nothing or heartily congratulating herself for trimming a few more quid off the wage bill?

#BelgiansOut

Just reading this, and I clean forgot that Onyewu played for us. I even had to google him to make sure.
  • Options
    As a CAFC fan that's a hard read, but I think we all know what the Belgians are up to by now.

Interesting that Morro mentions the car park protest - now you can see why the Belgians don't like it !
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

No fee involved, for a player of that quality. Scandalous. After 3 months without a win, with Bikey looking like a complete liability and Onyewu apparently still not considered good enough to replace him, do we think Pinocchio was cursing herself for letting a £1million asset go for nothing or heartily congratulating herself for trimming a few more quid off the wage bill?

#BelgiansOut

it does say that we honoured an agreement. maybe this agreement was made when he signed his new contract, at which point he was a free agent anyway, that he could go for free if certain conditions existed, such as not playing. If we hadn't agreed he would have left on a free anyway so don't see an issue.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2015
    "Last week I outlined that our key strategic objective is to make Charlton a competitive Championship club with Premier League ambitions. Underpinning that objective our other targets include:
    - To be successful in our recruitment, retention and trading of players
    - To have a stable, financial policy which also is successful in growing our commercial base
  • Options
    definitely a mistake letting him go
  • Options

MrLargo said:

#BelgiansOut

it does say that we honoured an agreement. maybe this agreement was made when he signed his new contract, at which point he was a free agent anyway, that he could go for free if certain conditions existed, such as not playing. If we hadn't agreed he would have left on a free anyway so don't see an issue.

So why announce it as "undisclosed" ?
  • Options
    Jimmy Stone ‏@JimmyStone_ 2m2 minutes ago
    Jimmy Stone Retweeted Richard Cawley
    Morro came and asked me if I had heard anything about the Astra move. He felt the club were orchestrating it. Sad.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

definitely a mistake letting him go

Not necessarily, it was a mistake not to replace him with someone better and ensure sufficient squad depth.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

"Last week I outlined that our key strategic objective is to make Charlton a competitive Championship club with Premier League ambitions. Underpinning that objective our other targets include:
    - To be successful in our recruitment, retention and trading of players
    - To have a stable, financial policy which also is successful in growing our commercial base

That's fine but as Large says above he agreed to sign a two year deal as a regular in the first team. It's not surprising that he would have had a release clause if he's not playing and it was thought (I believe incorrectly) that he wasn't first choice for us. His exit, presumably, suited all parties. He got to play elsewhere, we got him off the wage bill and it enabled the manager to use his wages on someone else.

On the basis that I thought (I would say knew but that sounds arrogant) that he was our best centre half (bearing in mind that Bikey and TBH were over 30) letting him go was a mistake, but the club obviously thought otherwise. Clearly I'm ignoring Joe Gomez in this as it was clear that he wasn't going to stay with us for long.

So I think the only mistake, in terms of the stated strategic plans, was that those running the club had insufficient ability to spot and/or value talent - something that I think is the root of most of our problems!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hex said:

MrLargo said:

#BelgiansOut

So why announce it as "undisclosed" ?
    It looks better than saying free transfer. Same reason the club claimed we got an undisclosed fee for Lepoint (the FA website says different).
  • Options
    Since the new regime, every player (with Gomez as the exception) that has signed permanently / been sold on has either been free or undisclosed.
  • Options
    We should never got rid of Morro but I'm sure the majority on here were not bothered about it at the time that he was let go!
  • Options
    I'm not surprised Morro knows about the protests.

He's still good mates with Jacko and Hamer. They both sat in the away end when we lost 1-0 at the end of last season at St Andrews.
  • Options
    A 3rd choice centre back will over the course of the season get plenty of games anyway, with injuries, suspensions etc. so the whole saga is very strange