Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

5 Of The Best/Most Influential Musical Frontmen/women

Comments

• Options

As far as front men goes the best for me was David Lee Roth. Total performer. !980 at the Rainbow was awesome.
    near misses:
    Roger Daltrey
    Steve Marriot
    David Bowie (if you can count non 'band' artists)
    Ray Davies

good to mention:
    Stuart Adamson
    Bono (There goes what little credibility I had)

Not at all, there's a big difference between favourite recording artist and top front man. I strongly suspect many commenting on this thread have never seen the people they are championing, even though many of them may have been amazing when seen "in concert" on a video. I saw Gary Numan once, as my wife was a fan from childhood. He was extremely good, even though his music would not be my first choice, I would certainly go and see him as a performer again.
    I take your point Algarve. I've seen them all live, perhaps Ray Davies might not be the spectacular 'frontman' but his songs are the stars during his gigs.
  • Options
    Roy Wood
  • Options
    elvis costello
  • Options
    If he's not been mentioned yet; Noddy Holder. What a frontman! However Freddie was the best, I was lucky to see Queen live at their live performance peak, maybe not at their musical peak the purists may say but the Wembley '86 concerts were fantastic.
  • Options
    Frank Zappa
  • Options
    Riviera said:

If he's not been mentioned yet; Noddy Holder. What a frontman! However Freddie was the best, I was lucky to see Queen live at their live performance peak, maybe not at their musical peak the purists may say but the Wembley '86 concerts were fantastic.

Agreed, I saw Slade in October 1980 at the Lyceum and Noddy was superb.

The reason I remember the date is that, incredibly, the support band were U2. All I knew about U2 at the time was that they were an Irish band - Boy had only just been released. They were excellent ... Bono was a very good frontman in those early days ... they got a little too boring after Boy and War.
  • Options
    Just been listening to a lot of Jethro Tull.

Ian Anderson, is definitely worth a shout.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Liam Gallagher was a decent front man, but not a great performer. Just stands there. 
    Don’t think he’s so much influential as influenced (John Lennon, John Lydon).
    Bowie, Lydon and Beefheart were the most charismatic frontmen I’ve seen. They were all influential. 
    Strummer was good too.
    Russ Conway wasn’t bad either. 
  • Options
    Rob Harvey from The Music was insane, brilliant and as well as being a really good guitarist and singer was completely enthralling 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morrison
    Jagger
    Daltrey 
    Mercury 

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Phil Lynott
    Paul Weller
    Shane MacGowan
    Debbie Harry
    Michael Hutchence
  • Options
    Robert Plant deserves a mention as does Steven Wilson of the Porcupine tree
  • Options
    Plus….

David Gahan (Depeche Mode)

• Options
    John Lydon
    Shane MacGowan
    Roger Daltrey
    David Bowie
    Joe Strummer
    Brett Anderson
  • Options
    Jagger
    Bowie
    Mercury
    Siouxsie
    Lynott
  • Options
    I cannot believe you lot forgot Gary Glitter!
  • Options
    Chuck Berry 
    Dylan ( maybe not a front man)
    Brian Wilson 
    Jagger
    Bowie
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    John Lydon
    Shane MacGowan
    Roger Daltrey
    David Bowie
    Joe Strummer
    Brett Anderson
    hadn't remembered I answered this back in 2015 - not too different

Tough subject so will stick to the first five that come to mind:
    David Bowie
    John Lydon
    Ian Brown
    Roger Daltrey
    Lou Reed

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Robert Plant
    Freddie Mercury
    Rob Halford
    Bruce Dickinson
    Debbie Harry
  • Options
    Going for a frontman, rather than a solo artist, and in the "best" rather than "influential" category, Tim Booth of James impressed me greatly.
    I've seen James quite a few times now, love their music and for the most part are great live. However, I personally think Booth is a self righteous prick who seems to spend more time preaching than performing these days.
  • Options
    Tim Booth is a poor man's Michael Stipe
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Liam Gallagher was a decent front man, but not a great performer. Just stands there. 
    Don’t think he’s so much influential as influenced (John Lennon, John Lydon).
    Bowie, Lydon and Beefheart were the most charismatic frontmen I’ve seen. They were all influential. 
    Strummer was good too.
    Russ Conway wasn’t bad either. 
    There’s something about Liam Gallagher that is very unique. Even though he is rooted to the spot, there’s still a huge intensity about him whilst also playing it cool. Can’t think of many who pull that off.
    That was fine at first, but half way through the set my attention started wavering. He does have a real swagger though. 👍
  • Options
    R Daltrey 
    M Jagger
    T  Turner
    J Cocker
    S Nicks

Special mention 
    Robert Palmer
    David Draiman (Disturbed).
  • Options
    R Daltrey 
    M Jagger
    T  Turner
    J Cocker
    S Nicks

Special mention 
    Robert Palmer
    Hope that's Joe and not Jarvis?

;)
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    R Daltrey 
    M Jagger
    T  Turner
    J Cocker
    S Nicks

Special mention 
    Robert Palmer
    Hope that's Joe and not Jarvis?

;)
    Correct Grib.
  • Options
    Bruce Dickinson
    Robert Plant
    Ian Gillan
    Bon Scott
    Jim Morrison
    Ozzy Osbourne
    I know it say's 5 but couldn't leave Ozzy out... ;)
  • Options
    Front women: Crissie Hynde Janis Joplin Dusty Springfield Annie Lennox Kate Bush
    Front bottoms
  • Options
    Roger Chapman of Family and then Streetwalkers - a sensational live performer.