Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LVG

13»

Comments

• Options
    masicat said:

Am very surprised about Mourinho. I was told by a very reliable source at Old Trafford that Sir Bobby Charlton couldn't stand him and there was no way he could be appointed due to negotiating a previous deal and then joining Chelsea. He has been almost begging them for the job and I know they would have preferred to look elsewhere. Pep going to Man City has got Mourinho this job.

They were saying the same about Mourinho and Bobby Charlton on the radio yesterday, presume that's why Van Gaal has lasted this long. Now they've decided he's got to go there's no viable alternative to Mourinho, presuming that Simeone didn't fancy it. Can't think of anyone else who would carries the same "success guaranteed" aura that Jose's got. Will make for an interesting season next year, reckon Arsenal's Champions League run will be coming to an end next season.
  • Options
    Makes no sense at all to me.
    Mourinho' s style is the opposite of what united fans demand.
    His aura has been broken by his failure last term at Chelsea, he's got work to do to prove he isn't as busted flush.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

masicat said:

Am very surprised about Mourinho. I was told by a very reliable source at Old Trafford that Sir Bobby Charlton couldn't stand him and there was no way he could be appointed due to negotiating a previous deal and then joining Chelsea. He has been almost begging them for the job and I know they would have preferred to look elsewhere. Pep going to Man City has got Mourinho this job.

They were saying the same about Mourinho and Bobby Charlton on the radio yesterday, presume that's why Van Gaal has lasted this long. Now they've decided he's got to go there's no viable alternative to Mourinho, presuming that Simeone didn't fancy it. Can't think of anyone else who would carries the same "success guaranteed" aura that Jose's got. Will make for an interesting season next year, reckon Arsenal's Champions League run will be coming to an end next season.

Agree with this. Simeone is staying at Atletico and Ancelotti is going to Bayern so what other top class manager is there that's available? Blanc has a Man U connection but is presumably pretty happy winning everything at PSG.

Unless they dipped into the unknown and gave it to Giggs which is a risk, they're far better off just going with Mourinho
  • Options

MrLargo said:

masicat said:

Agree with this. Simeone is staying at Atletico and Ancelotti is going to Bayern so what other top class manager is there that's available? Blanc has a Man U connection but is presumably pretty happy winning everything at PSG.

Unless they dipped into the unknown and gave it to Giggs which is a risk, they're far better off just going with Mourinho
    Peeters, Luzon, fraeye?
  • Options
    I think that LVG missing the Champs League is what finished him off. If they had sneaked fourth, I think that they may have held their nerve a bit more.

That was the benchmark for the season, and whilst the FA Cup is a nice bonus, for a club like Man United the ECL is where they need to be.

To miss out on qualification two years out of three, considering the money invested is simply shocking.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    From Danny Taylor at The Guardian, who used to be their Manchester correspondent and is still well connected there:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/may/22/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-players-near-mutiny

It was pretty widely know that various people in the United leadership/legends group don't like Mourinho. Apparently Lord Ferg isn't all that impressed by him, but ya know, he left a poor squad and gave David Moyes the job so...there's that.

Mourinho was criticized before going to Madrid for similar reasons, but he did pretty well of adapting there. The problem for him is he's just hit and passed his decade as a top manager, and the trend these days seems to be that managers get around a decade before fading. A lot of that has to do with the constantly evolving nature of the game. For Mourinho, wherever he went next, he would need to show that he can change and adapt his tactics and methods.

Lastly, it's said in the article that "90%" of the United squad will need to be replaced. While that's a bit high, there will obviously be a clear out of Moyes and LVG players. Notable how much United have spent, and will spend again, because of the turnover in managers--soon to be four in three years. Curious to note that all of the top four either have a DoF model or an Arsene Wenger (a man with a degree in Economics, to be fair).
  • Options
    Some at Old Trafford cannot forgive Mourinho for a past and largely unpublicised snub. They are trying to manage the danger of a high profile board member resigning if Mourinho is given the job. Not over the line yet.
  • Options
    United have to give him the job.

If Mourinho has had enough time off to refresh, it's only going to work in Uniteds favour.

He also has something majorly to prove now. He's got the benefit of an already sliding away Manu team....obviously apart from a few nights ago. An aging Rooney would welcome it surely.

He also has fergie up his ass but what sounds rather strange, probably in a way that's going to help.

They have an enormous amount of respect for each other and they have a level ground of understanding each other.

If united want anything significant from next season, them getting Jose in is a must.
  • Options
    Jose v Pep when it was Madrid v Barcelona was good as its one of the biggest rivalries in Sport.

Man City v Man Utd is now going to be huge though as will create one of the biggest derbies between them
  • Options
    Agree re. Pep. It's like getting a mongoose in to deal with a cobra.

I think LVG has been hard-done by to some extent. His disdain for the UK press is refreshing. They are a bunch of self-important assholes, and he treats them as such. As a result, they painted him as they saw fit.

Admittedly his football has been boring as hell, but I do think there's a good chance that, with one or two more players and another season, it would have improved dramatically year-on-year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

His disdain for the UK press is refreshing. They are a bunch of self-important assholes, and he treats them as such. As a result, they painted him as they saw fit.

He comes across as a self-important asshole himself.

• Options
    Next season's PL will be fascinating

Leicester defending their title
    Spurs wanting to keep on their improvement
    Arsenal once again desperate to win it
    Pep at City
    Jose at United
    Conte at Chelsea, who will surely be contenders again

Oh, and Palace to continue their form from the second half of the season and crash out of the the PL
  • Options
    So glad he's gone. Everything about him irritated me.
  • Options

Next season's PL will be fascinating

Leicester defending their title
    Spurs wanting to keep on their improvement
    Arsenal once again desperate to win it
    Pep at City
    Jose at United
    Conte at Chelsea, who will surely be contenders again

Oh, and Palace to continue their form from the second half of the season and crash out of the the PL

Dont forget Klopp and Liverpool... I'm interested to see who he brings in over the Summer.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I think LVG has been hard-done by to some extent. His disdain for the UK press is refreshing. They are a bunch of self-important assholes, and he treats them as such. As a result, they painted him as they saw fit.

Admittedly his football has been boring as hell, but I do think there's a good chance that, with one or two more players and another season, it would have improved dramatically year-on-year.

That's surely a contradiction? How can he be hard done by if his football was boring as hell and he showed no sign of changing his ways? A minimum requirement for a Man U manager should be top 4.
    And there's no real guarantee they'd have improved next season. He spent close to 250m and arguably they aren't much better now than when he took over.
  • Options
    Just been sacked
  • Options
    His Man U team beat Palace in the cup final. Legend.
  • Options

Jose v Pep when it was Madrid v Barcelona was good as its one of the biggest rivalries in Sport.

Man City v Man Utd is now going to be huge though as will create one of the biggest derbies between them

Wasn't City v Utd a huge game anyway, whoever the managers were.

Always was for Manchester based fans and even more so since City have been revived.

If Fraeye and Luzon were the managers it would still be a huge game.

• Options
    Not so much LVG news but apparently Mourinho's first choice signing is the 2 years left on contract CR7.

Can't see it personally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He'd probably be most clubs first choice signing, doubt it will happen though. Especially to a club not even in the Champions league. Can see him seeing out his contract there then moving to the MLS.
  • Options
    With Mourino, short shelf life and it will all end in tears...
  • Options
    daveroan said:

With Mourino, short shelf life and it will all end in tears...

Let's hope so :smile:
  • Options
    We all knew this was coming but I have to say, it's been very poorly handled by Man Utd
  • Options
    No class has gone into the appointment.

Would be silly to think that Mourinho has lost his ability after the freak season Chelsea had. But he is not as untouchable as he was 10 years ago.

Still, a better option to repair the Man Utd ship than LVG.

Feel sorry for the youngsters LVG blooded, on loan they will go. Shame.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Not so much LVG news but apparently Mourinho's first choice signing is the 2 years left on contract CR7.

Can't see it personally.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic more likely I reckon.
  • Options
    Just the £4.5 million compensation for LVG, don't know how the poor luv will cope.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

JiMMy 85 said:

That's surely a contradiction? How can he be hard done by if his football was boring as hell and he showed no sign of changing his ways? A minimum requirement for a Man U manager should be top 4.
    And there's no real guarantee they'd have improved next season. He spent close to 250m and arguably they aren't much better now than when he took over.
    I didn't say he was criticised for the style of his football, so no, I don't see that as a contradiction. I think he was criticised on all fronts, quite personally at times, and they were far from forgiving regarding his building of a team because of the mutual disdain.