Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Boycott" BY club sponsors and advertisers?

EDITED....

I mentioned it on another thread but think if everyone contacted all CAFC sponsors and advertisers asking them to consider (temporarily) withdraw sponsorship or advertising asap that would have a powerful impact.

If we outlined the reasons why the businesses in question may even appreciate it particularly if they think they would get future business by supporting the supporters by such action who essentially are their target audience with the sponsorship and advertising (now we are not on sky every week or in the premier league).

Will cause embarrassment but more importantly chip away at the other 2 thirds of revenue beyond the "insignificant" third our paying for tickets brings in.

Comments

• I think this would be damaging beyond the rein of the owners. Many sponsors are Charlton fans. There are other ways.

Good point.
  • They are probably under contract - for instance Andrews Air Conditioning cannot remove their patronage of the shirts mid-season - so this would be hurting the advertisers more than the club. Of more impact would be a request to all advertisers to stop advertising with the club next season, and for as long as the current owners are in charge.
  • I think this would be damaging beyond the rein of the owners. Many sponsors are Charlton fans. There are other ways.

Good point and I wouldn't want to damage anyone's business. I badly worded the opening post and will edit it....perhaps we could get them on side...particularly with them being charlton fans
  • I've edited the initial post as you pointed out Muttley it comes across poorly in terms of goodwill towards the sponsors which is certainly not what I meant. Getting them to support our protests by withdrawing their financial support would be effective perhaps. But as pointed out by Pedro45 many will be under contract.

• As i mentioned on another thread - a variant of this is to lobby the likes of Andrews and say that we (Charlton fans) will not be buying any of their products whilst they have an involvement in the club in RD's tenure.
  • I'd like to think that the Charlton fans who do sponsor CAFC will be rethinking their investment for the next season if thing don't change.

Maybe we'll end up with Belgian company logos all over the Valley instead.
  • I'd like to think that the Charlton fans who do sponsor CAFC will be rethinking their investment for the next season if thing don't change.

Maybe we'll end up with Belgian company logos all over the Valley instead.

Thing is that given we are not under the same media coverage as premier league teams and will likely be playing in front of sub 10k crowds new advertisers and sponsors won't really want to shell out as we won't be their target audience. A Belgian company may advertise at Old Trafford knowing it will give them global exposure and instant access to millions of supporters and associate them with success whereas it's a different kettle with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• I withdrew from match sponsorship of the Blackburn game I was involved in and cancelled my boys being mascots for the Brighton game , sending an email to the club a few weeks back (Cc'd the Kat in) about reasons for withdrawal etc
    I got the standard blank from the crank

Still unwelcome news for them. Extrapolate that accross the vast majority of sponsors and they would be forced to sit up and take notice.
  • I withdrew from match sponsorship of the Blackburn game I was involved in and cancelled my boys being mascots for the Brighton game , sending an email to the club a few weeks back (Cc'd the Kat in) about reasons for withdrawal etc
    I got the standard blank from the crank

Terrible way to run a business and treat, definitely on this occasion a customer, but she has no shame. Her contempt, arrogance and incompetence holds no bounds. Crank up the volume on the Crank. :wink:
  • I agree to boycott etc the sponsors. They have had plenty of time to end their relationship with the club. Is there a full list somewhere?
  • edited December 2015
    kentred2 said:

I agree to boycott etc the sponsors. They have had plenty of time to end their relationship with the club. Is there a full list somewhere?

http://www.cafc.co.uk/commercial/preferredsuppliers/

WJ King
    Bulldog Power Energy Drink
    Titan
    888 Sport
    Green Inc
    DJ Coaches
    Data Cars
    ITRM
  • The 5 primary club sponsors are:

The Royal Borough of Greenwich
    The University of Greenwich
    Nike
    Mitsubishi
    Andrews air conditioning people

How are you going to boycott them exactly ?

Get organised or be laughed at.
  • I think it should be a case of getting a boycott BY rather than OF the sponsors. i.e work with them asking them to consider withdrawing to help the protests as oppose to threatening to boycott their companies. Many of them will be fellow addicks too.
  • I think it should be a case of getting a boycott BY rather than OF the sponsors. i.e work with them asking them to consider withdrawing to help the protests as oppose to threatening to boycott their companies. Many of them will be fellow addicks too.

As mentioned by others, these companies will be contractually obliged to fulfil their contracts with Charlton, so therefore any immediate effect is going to be minimal - however, if you start boycotting their products now, then they are gonna start to put the heat on KM now.
  • The list is much wider than that. People who have boxes, corporate seats, vista and millennium packages, shirt and player sponsorship. KM has already indicated she doesn't care much about ordinary supporters as our revenue doesn't amount to much.
    Many will have contracts for the year. However indication from them they will not be renewing unless there is a total change in direction of the club (a sponsor cant talk of ownership) they will not be renewing next year.

I would be very interested to see an analysis of our revenue streams. Does anyone have this detail?
  • Sponsored links:

• PL54 said:

The 5 primary club sponsors are:

Nike
    Mitsubishi

Easy...

- Borough of Greenwich... I don't live there, nor do I go anywhere there for the Day (i.e. Greenwich Park etc.)
    - University of Greenwich... I won't send my kids there as my Dad works for them and they treat him like s**t
    - Nike... Dont like them anyway, I prefer Adidas
    - Mitsubishi... Don't like their cars, I drive a Honda
    - Andrews Air Conditioning... Seriously what do I need to use them for?
  • PL54 said:

Nike
    Mitsubishi

For a start, anyone who lives in the RBG could start asking questions to their councillors about how much it is costing to sponsor and how is that seen to be essential expenditure in this current economic climate.
  • You don't want to damage relationships or burn bridges between sponsors as we will want their future business once this ownership is gone.

My initial post was flawed hence the edit. Getting sponsors and advertisers on our side as opposed to treating them as an extension of the enemy is what's required.

We will want their business after the revolution ha ha
  • edited December 2015

PL54 said:

Nike
    Mitsubishi

Move house, quit uni, sell my clothes, sell my car and cool my home with ice buckets and fans.
    Choose the fans carefully because a number of them on here, who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent, spout a lot of hot air :wink:
  • edited December 2015
    kentred2 said:

I agree to boycott etc the sponsors. They have had plenty of time to end their relationship with the club. Is there a full list somewhere?

You could say the same about those of us who still go to watch us get beat usually. Leave the sponsors alone, the are sponsoring Charlton Athletic, not Duchatelet and we will need them when he is gone. I'm sure when it is time to renew, they will make the right decisions, but they will have contracts in place now. They are our friends not the enemy, and we shouldn't treat them as such!
  • edited December 2015
    I get the feeling that sponsors are already pulling out of many things. Feel sorry for the marketing team, an impossible job and not their fault. I hope they are not on performance related income.
  • If you live in Greenwich borough, not only can you ask your local councillors, but you can submit a question to the next full council meeting to ask the relevant cabinet member if the council is monitoring the situation at The Valley, if it has spoken to the current board and if it will be renewing the deal.

The next meeting isn't until 27 January (so you need to get questions in by 20 January), but it's a reasonably effective way of getting stuff out there as the question and answer are on the public record. You can also turn up and ask a supplementary question. You just need to email committees[at]royalgreenwich.gov.uk with your name and address and up to two questions. Here's how to do it: http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/354/council_-_minutes_agendas_and_reports/213/your_rights_at_council_meetings/4

As for the councillors, the only one I'm aware of that shows much interest in the club beyond photo-ops is Norman Adams, the Kidbrooke with Hornfair councillor who's the current mayor. I think he's a ST holder in the west stand, and is widely regarded as one of the good councillors - has been there since the 70s.
  • Agree a boycott is targeting the wrong people as they are tied in to deals for the season. BUT ... emailing the companies and pointing out that their association with the club is not doing them any favours is a legitimate tactic. If nothing else, they may contact the commercial team and that message is likely to feed back.
  • Sponsors have spoken out at other clubs in trouble in the recent past, of course.