Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby Sarr - gone to Reading, scored the winner against Millwall at the Den (p13)

Comments

• Options
    Gunter, Watson, Soare all off the wage bill and (possibly) on more than Nabby. Potentially a few quid around but depends obviously on next season's budget. But as we only have Lavelle, Deji and the physio's friend no harm in asking. 
  • Options
    A left footed CB certainly is a position we need filling, so it wouldn't be an unreasonable decision to bring him back.
  • Options
    I feel like with Chuks, Stockley, Innis & Sarr in the side we'd get bullied a little less.
  • Options
    For 20 mins a game.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    If people are seriously considering bringing him back then I don’t think his salary demands would be compatible with our budget. 
    What are his salary demands and what is our budget?
    Incompatible 
    We have players now that earn nearly as much as he did when he was here.  Our budget isn't the problem.

I doubt we would get him back but budget, or lack of, isn't the problem.
    What is our budget?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    If people are seriously considering bringing him back then I don’t think his salary demands would be compatible with our budget. 
    Incompatible 
    We have players now that earn nearly as much as he did when he was here.  Our budget isn't the problem.

What is our budget?
    Higher than 3 teams that finished in the top six, maybe even 4.

Our wage bill in 20/21 was about 8.5 million ( yes I know that includes "others") but there is probably good reason to think it was higher last season and will be similar next season.

As a compassion Oxford and Mk Dons's were both in the region of 3.5 million and Rotherham was about 7, despite being in the championship and was about 5 the previous season in league 1.  Wycombe's turnover, even in the championship, is so small they only file summary accounts.

They are all the figures from the last sets of published accounts.  

This tweet is 5 years old, the names have changed, but probably not the pattern.

• Options
    Yeah, let's sign him as a job lot with Jordan Cousins, Johnny Williams and Lyle Taylor. 
  • Options
    Yeah, let's sign him as a job lot with Jordan Cousins, Johnny Williams and Lyle Taylor. 
    I would take that now.......
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Incompatible 

What is our budget?

Our wage bill in 20/21 was about 8.5 million ( yes I know that includes "others") but there is probably good reason to think it was higher last season and will be similar next season.

As a compassion Oxford and Mk Dons's were both in the region of 3.5 million and Rotherham was about 7, despite being in the championship and was about 5 the previous season in league 1.  Wycombe's turnover, even in the championship, is so small they only file summary accounts.

This tweet is 5 years old, the names have changed, but probably not the pattern.

That chart is quite shocking given where we finished. Let’s hope we have learnt some lessons by now though not sure we did last year.

But bring back Naby!!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Incompatible 

What is our budget?

That chart is quite shocking given where we finished. Let’s hope we have learnt some lessons by now though not sure we did last year.

But bring back Naby!!
    That's from 2018 under Duchatelet not Sandgaard is it not?

Edit...even earlier it was 2016/17 and we finished 13th which is poor with that budget 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Incompatible 

What is our budget?

But bring back Naby!!
    That's from 2018 under Duchatelet not Sandgaard is it not?

Edit...even earlier it was 2016/17
    Yes, I acknowledged that.
  • Options
    Assuming of course that he wants to stay in England, i can't see beyond him getting at least a couple of offers from championship clubs. Somewhere like Reading or Bristol City, but i wouldn't be surprised if Bowyer takes him to Birmingham.
  • Options
    Loved him. He was exciting to watch. Never knew if if he was going to drop an absolute rickett or ping a 70 yard assist that Pirlo would be happy with. Most of the time he was just solid. Didn’t do badly for us in the Championship and was a regular in the run in of 2018/2019 when, once the side settled down after the frantic summer window and injuries/suspensions in the new year, we were the best team in the League and would’ve gone up automatically if the season had been a couple of weeks longer. Plenty good enough for where we are right now. Would be an ambitious signing but not totally unobtainable imo. Doubt it’ll happen though. 
  • Options
    The same Cousins who just got promoted with Wigan? 
  • Options
    Cousins played for Jamaica last week. 
    They lost 6-0 in a friendly. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    To be fair they faced Catalonia which is basically Footballers born in the region e.g. Barcelona players can be called upon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalonia_national_football_team
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    We need more Bauer (even Pearce) types than a Naby next season I'd say.

It's rare players get to the Championship and want to jump back to L1 in a rush. Jees most of us talk about the lack of sparkle L1 has. Apply that logic to professional footballers too.
  • Options
    The same Cousins who was too old for us last season and we need young and hungry players like Joe Pigott......
  • Options
    Seems like most of us don't want him, and I'm sure that he has much, much better options than us available to him, so seems like a moot point anyway really.

Personally I never saw the quality that others saw in him. But I'm sure he could say the same about us looking at what we have become. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    But only made 13 league starts for them, not really worked out the way Wigan hoped. Not sure he’s stayed fit for a full season since he played for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nice man, lazy player who could and should be far more effective than he is .. move on
  • Options
    Loved him. He was exciting to watch. Never knew if if he was going to drop an absolute rickett or ping a 70 yard assist that Pirlo would be happy with. Most of the time he was just solid. Didn’t do badly for us in the Championship and was a regular in the run in of 2018/2019 when, once the side settled down after the frantic summer window and injuries/suspensions in the new year, we were the best team in the League and would’ve gone up automatically if the season had been a couple of weeks longer. Plenty good enough for where we are right now. Would be an ambitious signing but not totally unobtainable imo. Doubt it’ll happen though. 
    I'm a big fan of Naby - he made mistakes but he also offered a lot. Some of the criticism of him seems OTT.

• Options
    Scoham said:
    I'm a big fan of Naby - he made mistakes but he also offered a lot. Some of the criticism of him seems OTT.

Some can’t get past the mistake against Millwall or having centre backs who aren’t in the Jason Pearce mould.
    Our CBs have been error free in the last couple of seasons...
  • Options
    To be fair they faced Catalonia which is basically Footballers born in the region e.g. Barcelona players can be called upon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalonia_national_football_team
    Some good players there, and that's without Pique, Busquets, Sergi Roberto etc. They probably wouldn't do too badly if they were an actual country.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The same Cousins who was too old for us last season and we need young and hungry players like Joe Pigott......
    Pigott is  now 28.
  • Options
    I know Naby has his faults but I can't understand some of these posts that seem to insinuate Naby isn't good enough for us when hes played about 60 championship games in the last 2 seasons in a team that reached the Playoffs this season. He'd be the first CB on the teamsheet if he was in this squad right now. 

But as others have said, moot point as he'll be looking higher up the pyramid for more wages than we would be able to offer.
  • Options
    I remember when Famewo was going to be a clear improvement and upgrade on Naby!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I remember when Famewo was going to be a clear improvement and upgrade on Naby!
    I remember when we had a manager... 

We had an run off them in fact
  • Options
    The club knew Naby was going to be released but his advisors are in cloud cuckoo land