Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views Charlton v Nottingham Forest

Comments

• Options
    Although second half was a big improvement, personally I thought it was two poor sides.
  • Options
    Apart from Harriott's sparky running the first half was awful. Second half was given life from the introduction of Gudmundsson (special mention for the turn which took out two Forrest players). Our goal came from a great driving run by Cousins and I thought at first that Harriott's cross went straight in but the big Dane deserves the touch. Again lack of depth on the bench meant keeping Jackson on too long and then pushing Solly forward after his faultless performance at right back. THD struggled a couple of times against his opponent before the sending off. Still it was a bit harsh on the kid. Funnily enough the other little piece of class was from Sarr moving forward and playing a beauty behind their full back to Solly. Thought Harriott was pacy and confident and had a couple of good shots on goal. Which either means him being sold or catching the Valley bug and fast regressing to headless chicken mode.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

we created very little in the first half but Harriott at least tried, Solly was back to his best and Cousins the mid field anchor, Forest scored because they had an unmarked player on the edge of the area who could shoot, and he did.
    2nd half with JBG on in place of Ba we were a different team, our goal came from a great centre from Callum that even Mak could've miss with his right peg. Why CF put HD on at right back I just can't understand, he was out of place and played poorly although the 2nd yellow seemed a bit harsh but I blame CF for putting a young inexperienced player in such a positio, should have used Williams who when he did come on was verbal and bossy.
    A lot better than at Burnley but I'd rather have Watt up front than Mak.

THD far too close to the player for both bookings - had he been aware of where his team mates were (as he should have been) he would have stood off the player more and that extra distance would have prevented the run at him by a player on the front foot and thus with the advantage - he would not have been skinned so easily.
    Alternatively he might have had better support from the midfield and/or the CD coming tighter to him - moreso the wide midfield dropping to support.
  • Options
    I thought it was similar to Wolves but with Forest not being as threating as Wolves, well until the last 15 or so when our defence is always crap. Forest played neat and tidy stuff first half, and I thought their 27 was good. Forest scored just before half time following work from a corner.
    So Fraeye continually concedes goals at that time in that way and has done nothing effective about it. Nobody was more disappointed than Roland so that's all right then.
    Of course the second half starts well with JBG on and played brilliantly for 10 minutes. We get a head of steam up, and it was a punishing run from Cousins who sent Callum away (Callum is a fast bloke don't you all think?), Callum plays a great ball in and Mackienoks lengthy frame means he is able to stretch enough to knock it in.
    THD then being sent off was bad, but Fraeye was complicit. Ignoring the fact that Fraeye did not send THD on with a little note of instructions, he made THD go to right back, leaving a quite frankly bewildered Solly probably instructed to 'do something or other' in deep midfield.
    I wasn't projecting here, but am I the only one to think Solly was cosmically confused and very pissed off with this adjustment? All this led to a degree of confusion and extra pressure on THD which contributed to his downfall.
    Absolute crap management, as was the introduction of the new bloke.

So, the new bloke turns up on Saturday morning, and by afternoon he is telling all the other players what to do.

We would all like that from our new co-workers on their first day wouldn't we folks?

Amazingly we could have won it but for a couple of good saves from the Forest keeper. Fraeye must have watched that and one moment thinking 'Karel, with one leap you are free', and the next moment thinking 'Belgian for bollocks'.

We got a point out of all that crap I'm not entirely sure how. Maybe if Forest had had more belief they ought to have won pretty easily. Their fans greeted the return of Cohen brilliantly, I wonder if we will ever bond with our players the same way ever again.
  • Options
    KM has said she wants fans to come and enjoy the match day experience. it seems like they did today, but i suspect not for the reasons she had hoped.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two best bits for me were the two tackles both running back from behind by Lennon and Solly after the Sarr ditherings without which we would have certainly lost.
  • Options
    The subs were terrible.
  • Options
    Dreadful first half, 44 minutes again! Vaz Te looked completely bored with the whole thing and left Fox horribly exposed - he needs all the help he can get! Its clear the word on Charlton around the league is attack down our left, its the same thing every week.

Bizarre substitutions by Fraeye. It was like a game of Football manager where you forget to check your subs before starting the match. Solly was having his best game in a long time and he gets shoved into a midfield position he probably never trains for. The less said about Sarr the better.

On the plus side, Harriot had a good game. Hopefully, he can avoid being Charltonized again for a few weeks!

There's still a bit of fight left in the team but I have no idea where they are going to get another 28 points from.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Uboat said:

Sarr is just terrifying to watch. Auto-correct wanted to change that to terrific, but I'm not having that.
    Not sure about the actual output, but Harriot's energy was very welcome and at times he seemed to worry forest.
    The lower west, D block is quite weird. Brilliant view, but I'm never sitting there again.

You have to worry defenders, give them something to think about. That is why Mackienok has to start. And why we had to risk Harriot playing. thankfully it was a confident Harriot, not last season's version and both him and Mackienok were our best players. Taking BA off when you don't have any midfielders and somebody as fragile as JJ, who cant do 90 mins full pelt anyway was poor management. Playing Fox who is lacking confidence and needs a rest was poor also. The way the team is now, it has to be a 4, 3, 2,1 formation, with the full backs being able to attack at home - which rules Fox out.

Very annoying the manager has blamed the fans. The fans supported the players well IMO. It is just him that they boo because he is a rubbish manager. I was happy to give him a chance but he is tactically very poor. I honestly believe the club would be better off with me in charge. Don't worry, I am not applying for the job, just highlighting how bad the useless lump is.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Who else pissed themselves laughing when Ba tried to do a skillful backheel and fell flat on his face?
  • Options

Uboat said:

Sarr is just terrifying to watch. Auto-correct wanted to change that to terrific, but I'm not having that.
    Not sure about the actual output, but Harriot's energy was very welcome and at times he seemed to worry forest.
    The lower west, D block is quite weird. Brilliant view, but I'm never sitting there again.

You have to worry defenders, give them something to think about. That is why Mackienok has to start. And why we had to risk Harriot playing. thankfully it was a confident Harriot, not last season's version and both him and Mackienok were our best players. Taking BA off when you don't have any midfielders and somebody as fragile as JJ, who cant do 90 mins full pelt anyway was poor management. Playing Fox who is lacking confidence and needs a rest was poor also. The way the team is now, it has to be a 4, 3, 2,1 formation, with the full backs being able to attack at home - which rules Fox out.

Very annoying the manager has blamed the fans. The fans supported the players well IMO. It is just him that they boo because he is a rubbish manager. I was happy to give him a chance but he is tactically very poor. I honestly believe the club would be better off with me in charge. Don't worry, I am not applying for the job, just highlighting how bad the useless lump is.
    Luckily Freedman has said how well we supported the team.
  • Options
    MOTM was a player who for the past 3 months we felt wasn't good enough - get our other loan player back, add into the mix a fit JBG and some decent centre halves then we have half a chance of staying up................

................then get rid of the clueless manager who took 45 mind to realise that Harriott is left footed & then sodded up our comeback by playing a left back at right back & moving the RB into midfield.

I can only assume the FIFA coaching badge can be bought for 50p & 4 tokens from a packet of cereal.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Who else pissed themselves laughing when Ba tried to do a skillful backheel and fell flat on his face?

I didn't even realise he was on the pitch, until his name was read out as being subbed at half time.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not really sure why Fraeye is receiving so much criticism for playing Holmes-Dennis at right back. He was our best player away at Birmingham in that position and looked extremely comfortable, competent and accomplished, not to mention setting up the winning goal from that position.
  • Options
    We weren't awful. 4-2-3-1 is possibly the best formation with the fit players we have. Apart from one particularly wayward pass, Callum played well and put in a lovely ball for Simon's goal. Sarr had his usual moment but it didn't cost a goal this time. There were times when we looked very fragile but the spirit to fight was evidently there.
  • Options
    two poor teams.
    First half huge holes down the centre of our midfield and a better team would have stuffed us.
    second half with JBG playing down the middle we were much better.
    Glad Harriet played. he was my MoM. 3 good efforts, 2 very good saves from the keeper in injury time and he made the goal.
    What the hell was the substitution about ? THD comes on and plays out of position and he moves Solly into mid filed now playing out of position. Shows our lack of any depth and Frayes lack of knowledge.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Yesterday wasn't about the football for me. Good job because that was (yet another) appalling game of football. If that had been on telly the neutrals would have switched off after twenty minutes.

Could end up being a valuable point although I think we might already be stuffed. Could so easily have been three. The general standard in this league this year is poor. Forest were the latest rank bad team We've seen. There are no Bournemouths or Watfords this time round. Boro are ok and Derby have their moments but it's a poor league.
  • Options

Not really sure why Fraeye is receiving so much criticism for playing Holmes-Dennis at right back. He was our best player away at Birmingham in that position and looked extremely comfortable, competent and accomplished, not to mention setting up the winning goal from that position.

Because it meant Chris Solly went to central midfield.
  • Options
    The facts are that KF is useless and totally out of his depth. Anybody who understands football can see that. Also, the squad is so poor that the midfielders who started were the only fit ones, and the centre backs starting likewise!
  • Options
    wasn't there .. Harriott is back and by all accounts he's improved and will/should stay in the team ..
    BigMak scores a morale boosting goal ..
    Williams seems to have made a good start ..
    An experienced BRITISH midfielder and we might stave off relegation and the team start to show it's obvious real potential...
    I am looking forward to the January Yorkshire marathon
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Because it meant Chris Solly went to central midfield.
    I was referring to the comments about how irresponsible it was to place a young left sided full back on the right side of defence regardless of where Solly was playing
  • Options
    First half as dull and predictably depressing as most other games this season. Second half much better on the whole than we've played for a long time.

Will JBG stay interested? Will Callum maintain the form he showed yesterday? Will we avoid further injuries? If so we might just avoid the drop despite the best endeavours of Duchatelet and his cronies. As always, it's the hope that kills you.
  • Options
    24 Red said:

First half as dull and predictably depressing as most other games this season. Second half much better on the whole than we've played for a long time.

Will JBG stay interested? Will Callum maintain the form he showed yesterday? Will we avoid further injuries? If so we might just avoid the drop despite the best endeavours of Duchatelet and his cronies. As always, it's the hope that kills you.

Based on the second half, and the fact there are some dire teams in this division, I don't think we will go down.