Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Duchâtelet....

Feel free to delete this post if it's already been discussed but I'm struggle to see if it has.
Do we know whether the Varney offer was additional money coming into the club, in the form of buying a stake? Or whether it was an outright takeover?

I ask because, while we push to get rid of the current regime - and I whole heartedly support that - what are the options if Duchatelet sells up?

Comments

• Options
    Valley11 said:

Feel free to delete this post if it's already been discussed but I'm struggle to see if it has.
    Do we know whether the Varney offer was additional money coming into the club, in the form of buying a stake? Or whether it was an outright takeover?

I ask because, while we push to get rid of the current regime - and I whole heartedly support that - what are the options if Duchatelet sells up?

Now that's a question I have been asking for some time!

Opens popcorn, sits back and waits in anticipation!
  • Options
    New owners come in, CP gets the managers job coz he's a 'nice bloke' and we still go down...
  • Options

New owners come in, CP gets the managers job coz he's a 'nice bloke' and we still go down...

Where have these new owners with £50 million to spend on buying the club come from?
  • Options

Yeh, but I'd rather we go down to the tune of the Pied Piper than Pinocchio dancing to 'Puppet on a string' :wink: .
  • Options
    He would have to sell the club "to" someone... PV's option certainly seemed interesting, has anyone got any firmer insight on who or what exactly was involved, it was for a full takeover I believe...
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Where have these new owners with £50 million to spend on buying the club come from?
    I'm not saying this is my prefered outcome, but Middle East or Russia would be handy
  • Options
    I guess anything is better than what we currently have. The main objective now is to get them out, the rest will take care of itself.
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

He would have to sell the club "to" someone... PV's option certainly seemed interesting, has anyone got any firmer insight on who or what exactly was involved, it was for a full takeover I believe...

Would he?

Just playing devil's advocate here, we all know RD is a stubborn but rich man, what if he decided he's had enough and pulls the plug on financing our losses and walks away, what then?
  • Options
    I read it that it was additional investment not a takeover
  • Options
    In all seriousness, I don't think RD would sell at the moment, even for a decent profit. He seems like a stubborn old goat and I reckon he'll be around for at least another 2-3 seasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:

I guess anything is better than what we currently have. The main objective now is to get them out, the rest will take care of itself.

Will it though mate? How can anyone be sure of that?
  • Options
    Madz said:

Anyone wanting to sink their hard earned into anything involving RD (with him still involved) must be mad, for the reasons above.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Essex_Al said:

I haven't got a crystal ball Al not even Colin has despite what he may want us to believe at times, so what's the answer stick with the freak show running us? I hope there can be a 180* change of direction by the megalomaniac holding the purse strings by clearing out his puppets but history tells us it's highly unlikely.

It has been rumoured there are suitors out there maybe, maybe not but if not and we have to go into administration drop a few levels and do a Portsmouth or even an AFC Wimbledon then so be it. I'd much rather that than carry on as we have been for the last two years with this crazy regime that has no regard for the FANS or traditions of OUR club.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

I fear you guess wrong, any owner with his eyes on the valley as property worth selling would in my opinion be much worse.
  • Options
    Madz said:

Exactly Madz, it was an investment opportunity that could have meant anything, as much as I would like to see Varney involved, I have yet to see anything that clearly states he is mounting a takeover. More like Charlton fans making 2 + 2 = 5!
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Valley11 said:

http://www.footballeconomy.com/content/charlton-takeover-bid-collapses

It could at least give everyone a new idea for protests - from "Everyone out" to "stay at the Valley"
  • Options
    I think squirrel face will buckle and we'll have a new CEO by next season, but reckon Duchatelet may hold tight.

Just a hunch.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

I haven't got a crystal ball Al not even Colin has despite what he may want us to believe at times, so what's the answer stick with the freak show running us? I hope there can be a 180* change of direction by the megalomaniac holding the purse strings by clearing out his puppets but history tells us it's highly unlikely.

It has been rumoured there are suitors out there maybe, maybe not but if not and we have to go into administration drop a few levels and do a Portsmouth or even an AFC Wimbledon then so be it. I'd much rather that than carry on as we have been for the last two years with this crazy regime that has no regard for the FANS or traditions of OUR club.
    I do understand and share everyone's frustrations with the way the club is currently run and if we had a clear indication that there were willing buyers waiting in the wings, I would happily support the Roland out campaign. I support the protest in so far as changes are needed at he club, but I am a realist and without RD's financial support, we could be back where we were 2 years ago facing administration.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Essex_Al said:

Valley11 said:

No, no one can be sure.

I thought Roland would be strange (Bumpy ride, remember) but would be good for the club long term after the Spivs. I was wrong.

We will never be able to say that any new buyer will be better until they are in place and we see what they do.

We do know that Roland is damaging the club now.

We do know that Varney has an interested party from Kuwait.

I believe that Varney would not deliberately introduce a party that would, in his opinion, damage the club.

We know that the unknown party wants to a complete takeover, not just to invest. Rick has said this.

My guess, and I stress that is only a guess is that the investors are not the current owners of Ebbsfleet.

Mega rich buyers would prefer not to reveal their names, and so their wealth, until a price has been agreed. If you know you are selling to Bill Gates the temptation would be to up the price NB I'm not saying Bill Gates is the buyer.

It appears that Roland is not willing to sell (source SLP). That might be a outright refusal or a negotiating tool. Again, if you say your are desperate to sell the buyer will push down the price.

The timeline is important here. The emails show that the unknown backers approached Roland at the beginning of the season. If they had bought then this would be their first transfer window and we might be seeing some cash being splashed. Who knows?

But now even if Roland says yes today (two years exactly) since he took over due diligence would take us passed the end of the January window.

Meanwhile we remain in clear and present danger of relegation. It might be tempting for the potential investors to wait and see if we do go down and bid £1 for the club then once £7m to £8m has been stripped out of the income and we have a lot of unwanted players on long term contracts we might have to give away to save on wages as a result.

Happy new year everyone : - (
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

I do understand and share everyone's frustrations with the way the club is currently run and if we had a clear indication that there were willing buyers waiting in the wings, I would happily support the Roland out campaign. I support the protest in so far as changes are needed at he club, but I am a realist and without RD's financial support, we could be back where we were 2 years ago facing administration.
    Read Scoham's comment above, there is an alternative to Duchatelet. The Varney investment is confirmed as a full take over, not sure why that wasn't made more clear in Voice of the Valley. I will happily like to see the back of Duchatelet with the competitive pressures of clubs growing around Charlton, this is not the time to be idling in the back water / going backwards under Duchatelet.
  • Options

You don't stay with a wrong un missus on the basis you might never get another one or get an even worse one. You give her the elbow and have the self esteem and confidence to know there will be a queue of stunners lining up to take her place.

You might if your an ugly git!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Madz said:

@Airman Brown confirmed it was a full takeover.

As he said on TalkSport last night even if RD/KM bring in some short term signings and we stay up, they'll go back to the same model in August and the same thing will happen again. If we go down I can see them underestimating League One and the decline continuing.

I'd rather take a chance on a new owner.
    I only read what he wrote in votv about it being a major investment proposal not a takeover but if it says different elsewhere I'll stand corrected
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

Of course we could Al and that's the difference between you and me you're in the 'better the a Devil we know' frame of mind which is understandable whereas I'm in the 'nothing ventured nothing gained' mindset. Both you and I have supported our club for circa 50 years, and we both want that to continue for the rest of our lives and I'm sure we will even if it's at Park View Road Welling :wink:
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Madz said:

@Airman Brown confirmed it was a full takeover.

As he said on TalkSport last night even if RD/KM bring in some short term signings and we stay up, they'll go back to the same model in August and the same thing will happen again. If we go down I can see them underestimating League One and the decline continuing.

I'd rather take a chance on a new owner.
    Just to be clear then, the string of emails from Varney to the club wasn't just an investment proposition as stated, it is now confirmed to be a takeover?

I'd like Airman Brown, to put some meat on the bone if this is the case.
  • Options
    Is it possible that RD would sell the club and retain the academy? Can't see him walking away from a £12m investment there.
  • Options
    2 years today since he bought the club. An anniversary not to be celebrated
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

Of course we could Al and that's the difference between you and me you're in the 'better the a Devil we know' frame of mind which is understandable whereas I'm in the 'nothing ventured nothing gained' mindset. Both you and I have supported our club for circa 50 years, and we both want that to continue for the rest of our lives and I'm sure we will even if it's at Park View Road Welling :wink:
    Yes Red, at the end of the day we both have the club at heart, I'm just a cautious bugger who likes to see what he is getting into before making the step. That's probably because I have the Libra star sign!
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

Yes Red, at the end of the day we both have the club at heart, I'm just a cautious bugger who likes to see what he is getting into before making the step. That's probably because I have the Libra star sign!
    Don't sit on the fence for too long Al, it'll give you a sore a***.