Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Videoing protestors

I assume the people filming and taking photographs from the stairs to the left of the protest after the game on Saturday were club employees. I find this really insulting.

Somewhere in my house I've got an old supplement from a Sunday newspaper. I think it goes back to our first taste of the Premiership a few months after Wembley and promotion. The main article in the supplement was about Charlton and they called us The Supporters' Club. The article talked about how unique we were; a Premiership club where everyone from the directors to the catering people and shop staff were fans and even the head groundsman was a popular ex-player. The manager and the directors had a close working relationship and everyone was pulling in the same direction.

Now we are generating publicity for the opposite reason. Results have been terrible and managers come and go every few months. The club is owned and managed by people who care nothing for its' history, traditions or identity and the CEO obviously doesn't understand football or even know what a supporter is. KM would probably like to rename us as The Customers' Club.

Do they think that we are now like the enemy at the gates, so menacing that we need to be spied on and recorded? I wonder what they hope to achieve by filming / photographing. Do they intend to identify people and ban them? Hopefully not for their sake or they will have even fewer 'customers'.

Comments

• Options
    Roland gets himself off over it.
  • Options

I assume the people filming and taking photographs from the stairs to the left of the protest after the game on Saturday were club employees. I find this really insulting.

Somewhere in my house I've got an old supplement from a Sunday newspaper. I think it goes back to our first taste of the Premiership a few months after Wembley and promotion. The main article in the supplement was about Charlton and they called us The Supporters' Club. The article talked about how unique we were; a Premiership club where everyone from the directors to the catering people and shop staff were fans and even the head groundsman was a popular ex-player. The manager and the directors had a close working relationship and everyone was pulling in the same direction.

Now we are generating publicity for the opposite reason. Results have been terrible and managers come and go every few months. The club is owned and managed by people who care nothing for its' history, traditions or identity and the CEO obviously doesn't understand football or even know what a supporter is. KM would probably like to rename us as The Customers' Club.

Do they think that we are now like the enemy at the gates, so menacing that we need to be spied on and recorded? I wonder what they hope to achieve by filming / photographing. Do they intend to identify people and ban them? Hopefully not for their sake or they will have even fewer 'customers'.

I don't think they were club employees as such. But I may be wrong.
  • Options
    Do you mean the ones on the exit stairs to the left with blue vests on and video camera?
    I thought they were press at first but the stewards had finished their sweep so could only have been staff to still be in that part of the ground.
  • Options
    I think there are staff members that want KM and RD out as well as us fans! They probably used their position to help bring more attention to our protests.
  • Options
    I got the impression they were fans/Meire groupies and nothing official. And to be honest, we behaved well and did nothing wrong, so if KM and Roland's idea of a fun Saturday night is to watch videos of 2% of the club's fans (and a geriatric 2%) sing songs in the rain, then they can knock themselves out over it.
  • Options
    There were stewards/security.
    Found them in a photo i took.
    Below is the photo and zoomed in crop
  • Options
    I think the recording is a legal safeguard of some description - absolutely nothing wrong with it IMO. If someone DOES do something naughty then they should expect to have been observed doing so, especially in a world where having a mobile recording device on you at nearly all times is the norm...
  • Options
    I'm glad they've filmed it, it will make for some iconic video footage when we finally have the Roly Out Party and it becomes ours. I just hope they caught my best side.
  • Options
    Just filming customer waiting for the opening of the Janauary sales.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who owns the car park ?
  • Options
    @henrythecat might be able to confirm but I think they are uni of Greenwich students who film the game.

In any case if you go on a demo these days you'll be filmed anywhere.

As Ibsen said "when you fight for justice don't wear your best trousers"
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Who owns the car park ?

NCP
  • Options
    Everything gets filmed these days. A generation ago - the era of the Wembley play-off and promotion - someone would have needed a really expensive piece of kit to film in darkness. Now it's easy peasy, you can do it with something costing peanuts and in HD too.
    So, I read nothing much into it really. It makes sense for the proceedings to have been filmed in the (unlikely, I know) event that any criminal damage to property or vehicles happened.
  • Options
    Wait... So they weren't filming it to pad out the end of season goals DVD?
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Wait... So they weren't filming it to pad out the end of season goals DVD?

Bonus features on the blueray CEO's cut version. £29.99 with free poster of Katrein coming to the club shop soon. Available for pre-order next week.
  • Options
    We have a democratic right to demonstrate and the police/club have a right to film it to arrest the one moron who did/might throw a coin at the windows.

I'm so proud of the 99.9%
    I'm so proud that so many people found their voice.
    (even thou i lost mine on Saturday Evening; for a good cause)
    I'm so Proud that CAFC supporters are prepared to die on their soapboxes,
    And not live on their knees.

I know it's only football, but in so many countries around the world, still in 2016,
    People of all ages would be locked up and beaten for finding their voice.

Democracy rules OK.

• Options
    Probably the HSE making sure nobody twisted an ankle in a pothole.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Who ever they were it will be shared with the MPS and BTP for future reference.
  • Options
    Could be the BBC. That position looks like it would pick up the short clip that Faye Carruthers tweeted after the game.
  • Options
    @TelMc32

That says the video was put up at 5:11.

If memory serves me correctly the guys filming us in blue didn't get there until about twenty to six.
  • Options

@TelMc32

If memory serves me correctly the guys filming us in blue didn't get there until about twenty to six.

Guys in blue were there when I came down the stairs at I'm guessing 5:10-5:15
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

@TelMc32

Oh...
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Surely you understand they may have taken the footage for personal reasons, maybe so they could share it with their mates/family?

Note to self read the detail 'Stairs'

Maybe the club wanted to ensure it ramained peaceful, and wanted good footage to feed back to Roland so he can see the need for further funding/sale of the club?

Bit odd to assume it's for the worst possible reason still. But the Valley is an odd place these days.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

@TelMc32

LouisMend said:

@TelMc32

Colombo...or Clouseau?? :wink: