Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lookman rumours

Comments

• Options

Judging it on the Gray transfer, plus RD's transfer history, I would say that was ambitious.

Gray had a release clause though, i'm not sure Lookman does?
    Ahh I didn't realise that.

How long has Lookman got left on his deal.

I could be wrong, but seem to remember he had two years left at the start of this season?
  • Options

The club signing him up to a huge deal and a going nowhere statement would be far more significant than any other deals we may do this month.
    Would really show we've made a dent.

Would Roland do it?

Would he sign it though?

If a big PL club is interested in him, I can imagine his agent telling him not to sign anything with us
  • Options
    I have a bit of sympathy with the owners re: young players who make an instant impact (only a bit of sympathy before you jump down my throat).

It's not just a question of whether CAFC want to sell or not, the agent will be pushing for a move and what 18-20 year old would not have their head turned when big clubs are sniffing?

There may be very little we can do to stop him going. Lookman will have been on other club's radar for a while and the fact that he has been successful in the 1st team sparks the formal interest.

Having said all that i would have hoped we'd have kept him til the end of the season at least.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Still on a long contract. A real test for RD's nerve. Has he got the bottle to hang on to a player and wait for the price to go up. He says that this his plan. Lets see.

Release clause !

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Still on a long contract. A real test for RD's nerve. Has he got the bottle to hang on to a player and wait for the price to go up. He says that this his plan. Lets see.

If he had any ambition, he would be looking to sign Harry Kane to play alongside Lookman... :wink:
  • Options
    Whatever the figure is, if he is to be sold to Tottenham or any club, would fans prefer £xm up front or 60% of £xm up front, plus sell-on %
  • Options
    Would just prefer the money upfront...
  • Options
    Oh, am I the first to say "undisclosed"??
  • Options

Would just prefer the money upfront...

What so RD can fuck off with it in his back pocket when PV and his cronies take over, FA? No 75p up front and the rest as add ons once RD walks the plank... :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    IA said:

Whatever the figure is, if he is to be sold to Tottenham or any club, would fans prefer £xm up front or 60% of £xm up front, plus sell-on %

Either way round we are unlikely to reap the full benefit of it now in player recruitment which is what we need to give us the best chance of avoiding relegation.
  • Options

Judging it on the Gray transfer, plus RD's transfer history, I would say that was ambitious.

Gray had a release clause though, i'm not sure Lookman does?
    Ahh I didn't realise that.

How long has Lookman got left on his deal.

I could be wrong, but seem to remember he had two years left at the start of this season?
    that is right I think. However, if he saw out his contract and left would we even get compensation as he didn't come through the Academy did he?

• Options
    Spurs pay big money in transfers a lot of the time.

Reckon we'd, sorry the Belgians, will get a few quid here.
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Another agent owner trying to make a fast buck and not caring about his client the supporters

edited
    Customers mate
  • Options
    Ademola hasn't signed an extension of his current Charlton contract as the club were desperate for him to do, allegedly on his agents advice.
    So I assume he will be off to the PL soon to warm an unknown bench whatever happens.
    They will soon get on his back at Tottenham if he doesn't deliver as they are the worst whingers in football.
    As Henry has already said if loaned back to us he will not be too bothered, he will be worried about spoiling his chances with a long term injury.
    Wonder what the Spurs fans would have to say if their club was run by Roland's Circus!!
    Taxis would be blocking all entrances?
  • Options
    He didn't cost us anything and we are likely to recoup a few quid right now when it is needed.

It's going to happen so I am resigned to it
  • Options
    Looky needs to have a word with John Bostock - signed by the Spuds at age 15 from the nigels and released 5 years later making just one appearance.
  • Options
    Is Kasey Palmer playing in Chelsea's 1st team yet?
  • Options
    He will go & I honestly don't care how much we get as the last place it will be spent by the current regime is on making our first team seriously stronger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I posted this on another thread but relevant here I think

It's not just us though is it. The finances in football are so ludicrously skewed in favour of the Premier League to the extent that they can hoover up the slightest hint of talent with financial impunity.

Until it all goes tits up in money terms which looks unlikely I think the way forward will be to limit the squads of these football monsters. Chelsea with how many out on loan last season ? Was it 30 ?

All the time the PL has such access to ridiculous money no club outside the PL will be insulated from the insanity.

• Options
    Nobody is opposed to selling young players – it is a fact of life. We resent selling them after only a handful of games. We should be looking to get them on decent contracts and benefit football wise as well as financially. If anything, this approach will make more money as a player’s worth will increase if he is a bit special. I also know agents don’t make this easy, but if a player has two years on his contract, that is a good bargaining tool for the club.
  • Options
    I'd be a little surprised if Lookman had a release clause considering his background. Normally the players with release clauses are the ones who have already got a bit of hype around them which their agent has leveraged. Both Gomez and Gray would only have signed new deals at their original clubs with release clauses in place. With Lookman though he was a total unknown and I think would likely have been happy just to get a deal considering he was playing amateur football. I could be totally wrong but I think we might be able to hold out for literally entire fivers more than we otherwise would.
  • Options

I'd be a little surprised if Lookman had a release clause considering his background. Normally the players with release clauses are the ones who have already got a bit of hype around them which their agent has leveraged. Both Gomez and Gray would only have signed new deals at their original clubs with release clauses in place. With Lookman though he was a total unknown and I think would likely have been happy just to get a deal considering he was playing amateur football. I could be totally wrong but I think we might be able to hold out for literally entire fivers more than we otherwise would.

Lookman's contract situation is a difficult one. Yes, he has a deal which is good. The issue is, it is likely to be low wages and we want him to extend it. I'd be amazed if there is a current release clause and equally amazed if he signs a new contract and there isn't a release clause.
  • Options

Ademola hasn't signed an extension of his current Charlton contract as the club were desperate for him to do, allegedly on his agents advice.
    So I assume he will be off to the PL soon to warm an unknown bench whatever happens.
    They will soon get on his back at Tottenham if he doesn't deliver as they are the worst whingers in football.
    As Henry has already said if loaned back to us he will not be too bothered, he will be worried about spoiling his chances with a long term injury.
    Wonder what the Spurs fans would have to say if their club was run by Roland's Circus!!
    Taxis would be blocking all entrances?

That depends on the individual, Dele Alli went back to MKD and they got promoted. Forest sold Lascelles and Darlow to Newcastle at the start of last season then loaned them back for the season, so it's not unusual
  • Options

The players being sold to "break even" are young, British and have come through the academy. Even Lookman who joined late has played for the U18s and U21.

Other than Tony "attitude problem" Watt how many of the young stars purchased following our excellent scouting abroad have been sold on at a profit? And even there Watt cost the network £1.25m and is reportedly being sold for less than that.

How many are worth more than when we signed them? JBG (free transfer) and who else? Bauer maybe. Ba, Bergditch, Tuchedean, Cebellos, Ploish Pete, Reza? Don't think so.

Not only are we a farm we're a badly run farm

That's the biggest failure of the RD Network, and shows up a major problem with the model. Finding young stars from around Europe/The World and selling them on for a profit is a common model, but it needs great scouts to do so, and even then their luck can run out.

3 years ago Carr at Newcastle was a genius for all the French player she uncovered, now he doesn't seem so brilliant...
  • Options
    Apart from psycho club owners like ours and Leeds the biggest scourge of modern Football are the parasites known as agents who don't give a flying fuck for either the player they represent, the clubs or the game they are just harvesting money from the game and give zero back. All common sense tells me that for the benefit of both Lookman and CAFC he should have another full season playing for us and developing his game. He will be more in demand, we would get more money and ambitions on both sides would be satisfied.

For the record I am not happy with selling on our best players developed by the academy and that is why I no longer subscribe to Valley Gold, but it has always been so at Charlton and will always continue.