Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 98%

2»

Comments

• Options
    I do not agree with the OP.
  • Options

I do not agree with the OP.

Nor do I ... nor do I think we will go down.

Blind optimism probably :smile:
  • Options
    Given the one person who should be binding the team together, sorting tactics on a match-by-match basis, getting the team to fight to the death etc is an interim appointed for the sole reason he was already on the payroll, I might suggest the re-signings of players previously deemed surplus to requirements is not the biggest problem
  • Options

Dont get me wrong they have made some shocking decisions and the performances have be pretty dire but they have also made some really positive changes.

I am also happy with Poyet and Johnson signing instead of some Belgium second division players. Maybe this is a sign they are learning and started to realise how tough and demanding the championship is.

Anyway my point is we are in a huge relegation scrap and I dont think changing ownership of the club at such a crucial time is the way forward at the moment. We wont be able to get new owners in before the jan transfer window finishes so I dont see how getting rid of them now is going to help maintain our championship status.

Just wondering if anyone else agrees or am I the 2%

PWR so

a) signing Poyet and Johnson is the same as we did this time last year with Johnson, Diarra and Eagles. We are in the shit so bring in experience to keep us up. Then in the summer it's back on the magic roundabout again. They are not learning otherwise they wouldn't have repeated last season's mistakes this season.

b) there is no reason why you couldn't get new owners in during this window. It would be tight agreed but if you had a team doing due diligence that worked weekends too then it's definitely do-able. Even if it wasn't but was nearly a 'done deal' I'm sure financing could be put in place beforehand as long as it was safe-guarded.

I really hope that these two signings don't placate people and distract from the fact that WE WANT ROLAND OUT.

• Options
    msomerton said:

With the team relegated to all intense and purposes now, then if there is a buyer out there with the money to run are club, then the sooner RD goes the better. The current set up will be relegated from league 1 with no problems.
    A new owner now can at least plan for next season and the rebuilding of the whole club, because as well as players it needs new back room staff as well.

Have you actually looked at the table?

No reason we can't finish above Bristol City, Rotherham and Bolton with Poyet and Johnson on board along with Williams.

Doesn't solve any of the longer-term issues/problems but relegation is 100% avoidable

• Options
    edited January 2016
    If as you say Roger Johnson is a good signing, which I think he is, that is evidence enough of how we are in reverse under our current owners (given that 6 months ago we chose to let him go).

P.S.... horrendous managers, declining league position, absentee owner, thinned out squad, dreadful recruitment, selling off young talent, offending fans, THAT powerpoint/web summit, ignoring Peter.

I think we have a decent chance of staying up this season (50/50), but next season under these owners... ?
  • Options

In all honesty, If I was a buyer, I would want to wait and see how the season pans out. If we get relegated, a choice is there whether they buy at a much cheaper price or buy at all.

Whilst this is true, it somewhat overlooks the downside of losses at the level below. There's no guarantee of immediate promotion, as we found out last time. Better to buy a competitive Championship club I'd say even if the price was higher.
  • Options
    Our run in.......

APRIL

SAT
    APR 2016
    Birmingham - Currently 8th challenging for playoff (39 points)

TUE
    APR 2016
    Ipswich - Currently in play offs (41 points)
    A K.O. 19:45

SAT
    APR 2016
    QPR - Mid table (30 points)
    A K.O. 15:00

SAT
    APR 2016
    Derby - 2nd (48 points)
    H K.O. 15:00

TUE
    APR 2016
    Bolton - Bottom (17 points)
    A K.O. 20:00

SAT
    APR 2016
    Brighton - 4th in play offs (44 points)
    H K.O. 15:00

SAT
    APR 2016
    Leeds - Mid table (32 points)
    A K.O. 15:00

MAY

SAT

MAY 2016
    Burnley - 5th in Playoffs (42 points)

Easiest games on paper, other than Bolton, are QPR and Leeds both of which are Away.

Anyway my point being- personally I think we are already down with this Manager. Time for change is not after we are relegated. It is like watching your own business fail in January and think ok, I will sort it out in the Summer then.

Saying all of that, the last year we were in League 1 was in the most part the most memorable and enjoyable year in the recent past.

Myself and my family really enjoyed it and went to more away games than any other season recently. One of my fondest memories was seeing my then 6 (he was a Mascot that day) and 16 year old Sons going on the pitch after the game with the likes of Chris Powell, Yann, Danny Haynes, Johnny Jackson, Dale Stephens, Michael Morrison, Bradley Pritchard, Rhoys Wiggins, Chris Solly et al after the 2-1 win against Wycombe, doing a lap of the pitch and listening to SCP shouting "We have got our Charlton back!". This was the week after the Carlisle win and the week prior to the end of season Hartlepool game at a full Valley. Great, great times!!!

How times have changed...
  • Options
    Ok so it looks like I am the 2% lol

Just to make it clear I don't really want these guys owning the club. I just feel that at this moment in the season every fan, owner, player, kiosk worker, ball boy, everyone to do with charlton athletic should be putting 100% focus in trying to help us stay up (which if you look at the league table is def possible) just because chris Powell and the boys put sooo much effort in to getting us in to the championship and i really feel if we go down it could be along time before were back.

Then Roland can do one come the end of the season!
  • Options

msomerton said:

R

msomerton said:

With the team relegated to all intense and purposes now, then if there is a buyer out there with the money to run are club, then the sooner RD goes the better. The current set up will be relegated from league 1 with no problems.
    A new owner now can at least plan for next season and the rebuilding of the whole club, because as well as players it needs new back room staff as well.

Relegated - Really!
    Yes, if we win 9 of are last 21 games or gain the equivalent points that will take us to 48pts, that is knife edge survival and may not be enough. We would be winning 42.5% of are games or the equivalent of. At best we have won 4 games or 16% of are matches, and the points total is the equivalent of 27%. Do you believe this squad is capable of championship winning form even with new signing in january.
    In the last 5 years the team with the lowest points to still survive was Birmingham in 13/14 on 44 points. We currently have 20 with 21 games left meaning we'll need 24 points to match that. 24 points = 8 wins.

8 wins looks unlikely considering we've currently had 4 all season out of 25 games. We're playing Huddersfield, Blackburn and Rotherham all this month though. Win those 3 and then it starts to seem more possible. Still doesn't look brilliant however.
    That is a very depressing read

Put another way, we have achieved an average of 0.8 points per game so far. To reach 45 points we need to bump that up to an average of 1.19 points per game for the rest of the season.

So the question is - will these new signings make us 32.8% 'better'?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

msomerton said:

R

msomerton said:

Relegated - Really!
    Yes, if we win 9 of are last 21 games or gain the equivalent points that will take us to 48pts, that is knife edge survival and may not be enough. We would be winning 42.5% of are games or the equivalent of. At best we have won 4 games or 16% of are matches, and the points total is the equivalent of 27%. Do you believe this squad is capable of championship winning form even with new signing in january.
    In the last 5 years the team with the lowest points to still survive was Birmingham in 13/14 on 44 points. We currently have 20 with 21 games left meaning we'll need 24 points to match that. 24 points = 8 wins.

8 wins looks unlikely considering we've currently had 4 all season out of 25 games. We're playing Huddersfield, Blackburn and Rotherham all this month though. Win those 3 and then it starts to seem more possible. Still doesn't look brilliant however.

Put another way, we have achieved an average of 0.8 points per game so far. To reach 45 points we need to bump that up to an average of 1.19 points per game for the rest of the season.

If you add in Harriott and Ventokele (who is playing for the under 21's today), then yes. Maybe.
  • Options

msomerton said:

R

msomerton said:

Relegated - Really!

they don't have to make us 32.8% better, but better enough to win games we would have lost or drawn. So how much better would we have had to be to beat Forest last week? Maybe 5%, but Wolves, maybe 10%.
  • Options
    We probably need to win eight of our last 21 (allowing for some draws) to be sure of staying up. We have won four from 25 to date. Even with improvements and a better fitness records, what are the eight games we will win ... I am struggling to see where that many results come from, even assuming we beat Bolton and Rotherham away and MK Dons at home ...
  • Options
    edited January 2016

"There's no way they are learning, they're doing exactly the same as before.

Let's look at last season.

Start the season well, injuries hit hard on a small squad, we plummet down the table, we sack the Head Coach who wasn't given sufficient resources, in the relegation zone by christmas, bring in some solid loan players in January, stay up, bring in any number of untried, mostly unsuitable foreign players in the summer.

Does that ring any bells with this season at all? "

Fixed it for you.
  • Options

But we could be out of the bottom three if we win our next game. So other teams around us will need roughly the same target.

At one point on Saturday we were 5 points adrift of safety as other clubs were winning and we were losing. It's fine margins...