Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brick Lane

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good curry house in Brick Lane. There's so many to choose from.

Comments

• Options
    Cinnamon or Bengal Village are excellent.
  • Options
    The Bengal Trader on artillery lane (off Middlesex st) is also very good.
  • Options

The Bengal Trader on artillery lane (off Middlesex st) is also very good.

The Bengal Trader is excellent.
  • Options
    There are lots but they generally have a poor reputation. Best options are the short(ish) walks to Tayyabs or Needoos in Whitechapel or to Dishoom at Shoreditch (may need to book).

I think the Bengal Trader may have closed.
  • Options
    yeah, don't go to Brick Lane for a curry is my recommendation.

Go to Lahore Kebab house on Commercial Street
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I find it's fine, we usually go to one somewhere on Brick Lane around Hanbury St which has a round table for 8, food's good and cheap, especially midweek when you can get about 20% off plus free beer, forget its name sorry.
    There are better around for meat apparently e.g. Ankhora or Cafe Spice Namaste but you will pay double to triple the price. Empress is another good one but much better prices.
    But I prefer Brick Lane with a visit to the Pride of Spitalfields first.
  • Options
    I hate Brick Lane curry houses, think they're all average. The Empress on Leman Street is always excellent for me, Needos and Tayyabs mentioned above are great for their grills and chops
  • Options
    Tayyabs is excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lahore Kebab House, Needoo on New Road in Whitechapel) and Taayyabs.

The same family own Needoo and Taayyabs. The food in Needoo is miles better.
  • Options
    Shalamar - good basic Bangladeshi cafe
  • Options
    Standard balti house and dawaat are the best of the brick lane bunch that I remember. They are fine especially if you negotiate drinks and a discount. You'll find better food elsewhere though
  • Options
    Rothko said:

yeah, don't go to Brick Lane for a curry is my recommendation.

Go to Lahore Kebab house on Commercial Street

Take your own drink though..
  • Options

None - in my experience they are pretty average at best.

If you want a really good indian, try Cafe Spice Namaste on Prescott street.

^^^^^^
    This
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Dont know about Brick Lane but Yorkshire is known for its curry houses. Mangla on Spittal Hill in Sheffield is pretty good and cheap. It's a 'bring your own' so makes it cheaper if you bring your cans / bottles. Worth a drop-in when coming up to Rotherham. It's very close to the Parkway if driving back South or 15 minute walk from Sheffield station. You can park outside or in the tesco superstore opposite. If you want more upmarket Akbars is very good and close to the New York stadium
  • Options
    Jints said:

There are lots but they generally have a poor reputation. Best options are the short(ish) walks to Tayyabs or Needoos in Whitechapel or to Dishoom at Shoreditch (may need to book).

I think the Bengal Trader may have closed.

Went to Dishoom a couple of weekends back - fantastic. Totally different dining experience and unique menu. Not a vindaloo or tikka masala in sight!!

If you do Brick Lane, I have never been disappointed with Aladdin. It tends to rate highly in the Brick Lane review stakes. All run of the mill though I think. They thrive on Brick Lane reputation as opposed to being great curry houses.

If you're ever up this way, 'Merchant of Spice' in Norwich is top notch!! And with the extra finger that you get issued when you cross the Norfolk border you can really shovel it in!!
  • Options
    Tayyabs or Lahore are the best in the area, both are not on Brick Lane but not far away either Most of the Brick Lane ones are ok and they throw in a beer to entice you in. But you really want to go to Lahore or Tayyabs if you do make the journey to east London.I know, I live here.
  • Options
    The Lahore in Umberstone Street, excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dishroom end of discussion best Indian food I have eaten
  • Options
    Taayabs has been better than Lahore for a while now.
  • Options

Went Lahore Kebab House last month and was really disappointed (apart from the take your own drink making it a cheaper night)
  • Options

Went Lahore Kebab House last month and was really disappointed (apart from the take your own drink making it a cheaper night)
    It's definitely had its day, and that was in the 90's.
  • Options

Dont know about Brick Lane but Yorkshire is known for its curry houses. Mangla on Spittal Hill in Sheffield is pretty good and cheap. It's a 'bring your own' so makes it cheaper if you bring your cans / bottles. Worth a drop-in when coming up to Rotherham. It's very close to the Parkway if driving back South or 15 minute walk from Sheffield station. You can park outside or in the tesco superstore opposite. If you want more upmarket Akbars is very good and close to the New York stadium

Did some work around Meadowhall in November. went in to Akbars one night - very good indeed.
  • Options
    I think Brick Lane is fine. Not amazing but you can get some good deals by haggling, example we once got starter, main, rice, bread and drink for tenner each.

Another recommendation for Lahore Kebab House. The mixed grill starter is immense and byob always helps. Better than Tayyabs as well imo.

Also just off Brick Lane is Szechuan Folk. Not curry but it's very nice.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

It's definitely had its day, and that was in the 90's.
    Coincidentally, where some of their meat dates back to!,

• Options
    whats wrong with fish and chips?
  • Options
    Incidental, one of my last employers had a data centre in Brick Lane, I decided one day to try to find a pie and mash shop nearby for lunch (Being in the east end and all).
    To no avail I couldn't find one, so I asked an old bloke at a bus stop if he knew of any. "you're 30 years too late" he said.
  • Options

Incidental, one of my last employers had a data centre in Brick Lane, I decided one day to try to find a pie and mash shop nearby for lunch (Being in the east end and all).
    To no avail I couldn't find one, so I asked an old bloke at a bus stop if he knew of any. "you're 30 years too late" he said.

Or you could have just walked up to Bethnal Green Road.