Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hope Powell

So I'm trying to work on a proposal I really hate, for a company I currently for for and loathe, but which I will hopefully resign from next week.

So, thought I'd start something on here that might be controversial. How would you feel if Hope Powell was appointed now? British manager. Done it at international level. The women's game is certainly different, but I don't think it's quite as different as is sometimes portrayed.

Go on then have at it (or tell me to get F*cked, don't really care, I've entertained myself for ten minutes).

Comments

• Options
    I'd rather her than Karel.

She knows more about the demands of English football.
  • Options
    The players wouldn't respect her or any female (not just our players, players in general) the way they would a man.

• Options
    The German women's manager, who just retired after many years of brilliant service, has made noises about giving the men's game a crack.

She is an example of a good female manager.

Hope Powell was plainly not very good.

This is a silly thread.
  • Options
    She was nearly appointed at Gillingham a few years ago.

There would have been an uprising if she had been given the job I got told by a player who was there at the time the whole squad would have revolted

She has zero experience of mens football and I promise you this would be an enormous distraction and a pure novelty.
  • Options
    Wasn't she a coach at Spurs for a while?

Back to the OP...

Is this your genuine suggestion for who you would like to see as the next manager/head coach of Charlton or are you looking to start a debate on whether women can ever succeed as managers of men's football teams?

It's a no from me, don't believe her record was that good with England.
  • Options
    Be playing twister with Chris powells Sista
  • Options
    how about making KM manager,she knows absolutely zip about football, that would suit RD would'nt it?
  • Options
    Hope Powell didn't have a great reputation as the England coach, and the side improved no end when she stepped down and Mark Sampson took over.

Now maybe Mark Sampson... ;-)
  • Options
    Is Cheri Lunghi available?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

So I'm trying to work on a proposal I really hate, for a company I currently for for and loathe, but which I will hopefully resign from next week.

So, thought I'd start something on here that might be controversial. How would you feel if Hope Powell was appointed now? British manager. Done it at international level. The women's game is certainly different, but I don't think it's quite as different as is sometimes portrayed.

Go on then have at it (or tell me to get F*cked, don't really care, I've entertained myself for ten minutes).

Get F*cked (:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The players wouldn't respect her or any female (not just our players, players in general) the way they would a man.

I'm not so sure, having worked with Carol I think a mass murderer would gain more respect than him.
  • Options
    I'd rather Mark Sampson! Done a great job taking over from Hope.
  • Options
    I thought Cherie Lunghi did a great job to be fair!
  • Options
    Would hand my season ticket back and support Palace.
  • Options
    120% NO
  • Options
    No thanks. Football is about managing personalities and wrong or right a woman wouldn't really be able to hold a dressing room or keep the respect of 20 or so twenty something lads.
  • Options
    Wasn't there a lady who managed in Serie B a few years ago?
  • Options
    No, not because she is a woman - I can foresee a time when a woman takes charge of a men's professional team and I think it would be fine after the initial controversy died down. I would be against Hope Powell because I don't think she is a particularly good manager and don't see that much of her experience is relevant.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    This needs to be Members only. Don't want the CEO getting more strange ideas whilst eating her waffles.
  • Options
    Kind of appointment Roland would go for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Appointed on what basis? It's not even non league tier 7 standard that she has managed out. Needs to manage at a higher level and prove herself.

Still more qualified than fraeye though.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Appointed on what basis? It's not even non league tier 7 standard that she has managed out. Needs to manage at a higher level and prove herself.

Still more qualified than fraeye though.

It's different. It doesn't conform to football normality. That's what he's all about
    A woman in a man's world, bit like meired. He'd love it.
    Only problem is, she's not Belgian
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    SDAddick said:

There is no way 80 per cent of women footballers (outside of perhaps the top international sides) would get anywhere near the mens pro leagues nor most semi pro leagues. It may aas well be a different sport.

Should the manager of the England blind team get a look in because they've managed at international level? No.

People should be given opportunity of course and never discriminated against but should be given opportunity on merit first and foremost.

That's why our recent managerial appointments are so infuriating.
  • Options
    I see no reason why she couldn't be a really good manager. She has experience and knowledge of the game. But personally, I think she needs to aim a little lower in the men's game to start off with and spend a few seasons working her way up.

I'd have no problem whatsoever having a good female manager but I wouldn't want us to be 'her' first club. Proven female manager, absolutely fine. Un-proven female manager, not keen.
  • Options
    I hope we're referring to Bob Hope Powell rather than No Hope Powell?
  • Options
    thinking about it some more, i'd probably happily settle for her being our assistant manager? I'd rather her at Riga's side than KF !!!
  • Options

Why not we can't be any more of a laughing stock then we already are.
  • Options
    Mens and womens football have the same rules, but they are not the same game.
  • Options

Mens and womens football have the same rules, but they are not the same game.

I know this is not a realistic subject, but......I agree, however, in reality I don't think it would take her long to adapt.

If KM is going nowhere (which I think is likely), we could do worse than have another senior female at the club who actually does understand the game, knows the players etc. to perhaps rub off on KM and help her actually understand the game from an experienced footballing, female's point of view! I think within the footballing world she is probably highly respected by a lot of players, managers, chairmen etc.
  • Options
    I've just re-read what I've just written above.......yes I could have perhaps used a better phrase than 'rub off' when talking about two women..,...sorry - no offence meant! Ooops