Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst centre back pairings

Didn't think we could rival the recent combo of Doherty-Llera but I'm starting to think that Johnson-Sarr could be in with a shout.
You couldn't make it up...

Comments

• Options
    Nah still Doherty or Llera... that was just so slow to watch.

Sarr is young so has loads of time to make more mistakes whilst Johnson is used to playing at a higher level in India so I guess he's used to the drop in talent
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Doherty-Llera

I thought I was watching an action reply at one point.
  • Options
    Llera could ping a ball perfectly up to Lloyd Sam though...
  • Options
    Anything with Sarr in it. The bloke looks dog shit. Hopefully he comes good but with him and Fox 2 out of the 4 defenders we are well and truly stuffed
  • Options
    Sarr is a horrible liability at centre half, but defending is largely a matter of organisation so the coaching has take a big fat chunk of the blame for our defenders being all over the place.
  • Options
    Any combo that incudes Bobby Goldthorpe has to be up there, although curiously he was one of my favourites from that era. Trying to dribble out of your penalty box week after week when you clearly didn't have the talent takes some character.
  • Options
    Primus and Cranie was dire. Sarr and Lennon is arguably worse than Sarr and Johnson
  • Options
    I'd like to see Johnson with Lennon, that might be a better partnership or even Williams with Lennon
  • Options
    Fortune and Primus were fairly bad. Both pairs of legs had completely gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did anyone see, with about 10 mins to go on Saturday, the ball get played back to Sarr, he goes to trap it and it completely runs through him and he has to quickly run back and collect the ball that is now a couple of metres behind him. How is that possible for a professional footballer ?
  • Options
    digression .. Bauer and Johnson could (I am hoping here with all fingers & toes crossed) be a VERY good pairing .. bad ones .. now let me think back over 55 years, there must be lots of candidates ((:>)
  • Options
    Let's not write Johnson off for one bad game. He did pretty well for us last year.
  • Options
    redman said:

Let's not write Johnson off for one bad game. He did pretty well for us last year.

Being generous, Johnson was rusty on Saturday
  • Options
    redman said:

Why not... Plenty get written off before they've even signed for Charlton so Johnson has it easy
  • Options

redman said:

Why not... Plenty get written off before they've even signed for Charlton so Johnson has it easy
    I think too many got bigged up in the summer before they'd played for Charlton to be honest.
  • Options
    When Pardew put Linvoy Primus (well past his best) out with Mark Hudson (needed someone pacey with him) it was pretty disastrous. The low point was the two home beatings from Barnsley and Sheffield Utd, who came good that day, which finished Pardew off with CAFC following shortly after......
  • Options
    From those highlights Sarr's starting position seemed to be somewhere around where you'd expect Ceballos to be. I would have thought adding Johnson to the defence would add organisation but all it seems to have done is increase the gap between the two defenders as Johnson's pace is in the minus numbers. Watching Sarr fall fully on his arse for Colchester's first gets increasingly upsetting the more you watch it.
  • Options
    Got pelters for ripping into Sarr after one or two games but it's not hard to spot someone without a footballing brain, nerves or not he was literally so far out of position (and physically inept to make up for that) that it wasn't just nerves.

He is our worst CB in years, not sure about partnerships, of course we've had some rotten pairings but if you had a pair of Sarr's you'd have the worst CB pairing in the FL and tier or two below let alone anything we've had.
  • Options

Got pelters for ripping into Sarr after one or two games but it's not hard to spot someone without a footballing brain, nerves or not he was literally so far out of position (and physically inept to make up for that) that it wasn't just nerves.

He is our worst CB in years, not sure about partnerships, of course we've had some rotten pairings but if you had a pair of Sarr's you'd have the worst CB pairing in the FL and tier or two below let alone anything we've had.

Agreed. I've never seen Ismail Miller cause anyone else problems in all of the times he's played at the Valley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redman said:

I thought he was awful last season - not happy he's re-signed.
  • Options
    It's the same sorry story with this lot. Morrison and Dervite class above current lot. But obviously the Belgian clowns know best.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Agreed. I've never seen Ismail Miller cause anyone else problems in all of the times he's played at the Valley
    17 year old Gomez had him in his pocket at The Valley last season
  • Options
    I'd argue that Doherty - Dailly was the worst pairing!
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I'd argue that Doherty - Dailly was the worst pairing!

They were in the youth setup when we played in Catford I think. Gotta be our oldest CB pairing.
  • Options
    Niger Gray and Steve Dowman
  • Options
    Sorry Nigel Gray
  • Options

Nigel Gray and Steve Dowman

They didn't get to play together for Charlton but agree they would've made a fairly ordinary pairing!

Paul Elliott and Les Berry didn't look too clever whenever I saw them together.
  • Options
    Peter Shaw and Lawrie Madden
  • Options
    Peter Shaw and Les Berry!

Nigel Gray with anyone!

Bobby Goldthorpe and anyone!

Tony Hazell and anyone!

We've had some right ones - Leighton Phillips, Steve Dowman, Ronnie Moore (he played a few games for us at CH), Tahar El Khaledj, etc etc