Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst centre back pairings

2»

Comments

• Options
    Did shipperly and goldthorpe ever play together?Sarr would make either of those look like Mesi
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Niger Gray and Steve Dowman

Easy!! Are you really Paul Elliott? (:
  • Options
    Chapple & McLeary
  • Options
    I think that in my deepest darkest memory, I can recall an away defeat at Wolves, where our centre back pairing was Matty Holland, and that long haired ex Millwall player (Darren Ward).

By that stage of the season, we had of course already been relegated.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Peter Shaw and Les Berry!

Nigel Gray with anyone!

Bobby Goldthorpe and anyone!

Tony Hazell and anyone!

We've had some right ones - Leighton Phillips, Steve Dowman, Ronnie Moore (he played a few games for us at CH), Tahar El Khaledj, etc etc

A few here I completely disagree with.

Les Berry and Peter Shaw were superb as a partnership Mike Bailey's 1980/81 promotion team. I accept that was in the third tier, but I have seen much worse.

The other two names which are unfair in my view are Ronnie Moore and Leighton Phillips.

Ronnie was quite effective at centre back in my view. His displays against Spurs in the Cup were particularly memorable.

Although his best years were at Villa Leighton also performed well as an Addick. His influence was particularly instrumental in the development of Paul Elliott.
  • Options
    Geoff Hammond and Jimmy Giles
  • Options

Geoff Hammond and Jimmy Giles

Hammond was a full back.
    Richard J said:

Pedro45 said:

Peter Shaw and Les Berry!

Nigel Gray with anyone!

Bobby Goldthorpe and anyone!

Tony Hazell and anyone!

We've had some right ones - Leighton Phillips, Steve Dowman, Ronnie Moore (he played a few games for us at CH), Tahar El Khaledj, etc etc

A few here I completely disagree with.

Les Berry and Peter Shaw were superb as a partnership Mike Bailey's 1980/81 promotion team. I accept that was in the third tier, but I have seen much worse.

The other two names which are unfair in my view are Ronnie Moore and Leighton Phillips.

Ronnie was quite effective at centre back in my view. His displays against Spurs in the Cup were particularly memorable.

Although his best years were at Villa Leighton also performed well as an Addick. His influence was particularly instrumental in the development of Paul Elliott.
    Berry was a good servant (despite kicking the ball out of play more times than any other Charlton player ever!), but Peter Shaw was awful at times, other than in bits of 1981. I never got Phillipps - remember getting stuffed at Cambridge one year and he was terrible. As for Ronnie Moore - he did a job that we had nobody else to handle, so kudos to him. But he was not very good at CH.
  • Options
    He played centre half in the same team as Phil Warman and Bobby Curtis. They were the full backs
  • Options
    Our expectations were pretty low back then. I remember people banging on about how good Geoff Scott was in his two games for us in 1982 (even Colin Cameron made a note of it in his book). Then you watch the YouTube highlights of the 1-3 game at Stamford Bridge and you realise that it was straw-clutching (something I'm as guilty of as the next man, BTW).

The first half-decent pairing I saw were Les Berry and Alan McDonald and the first proper pairing for me were Steve Thompson and John Pender.