Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What now? Time for a season ticket boycott

-Varney thinks his takeover is dead in the water, so we have to make RD want to sell.
-Meire is still in place, so we have to make RD replace Meire with somebody who knows something about running a football club
-Riga has taken over for the rest of the season, I think that means the manager issue is also dead for this season

What levers do we have to make RD want to sell/and or to replace Meire with somebody who knows how to run a football club? The protests can continue but none of them will make a material difference to the owner, even if they have re-energised the supporters in a really good way and publicised the dire state of the club.

I suggest that the main real weapon we have is an organised and systematic refusal to buy season tickets for next season, in the form of a petition which we can keep in a public online space for the owner to see. We should all commit publicly over the next few months not to renew until RD either fundamentally changes his approach to strategy or sells up.

This will hurt RD in the pocket, but still means we can attend to support the team on a match by match basis.

Comments

• Options
    It will be hard to make the decision not to renew but think it may have to be done as long as its done on mass.
  • Options
    A lot could change between now and April but if it was a call that I had to make today then I wouldn't be renewing. I don't think there is a better opportunity or more impactful way of making our point than simply not renewing season tickets.
  • Options
    A boycott of the first deadline (which will probably be in about six weeks knowing these guys) would probably garner enough widespread support if communicated effectively.
  • Options
    There is no way in hell that I will be renewing my season ticket. The current ownership are screwing the fans over at every turn and are making fools of us. Vote with your feet
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I have been going since 1967, a season ticket holder for most of that time including the VIP schemes. I could never turn my back on Charlton, but I have already made my mind up that I will not be renewing my season ticket this time. I will buy tickets on a match by match basis when I want to go. When the regime changes to something I deem more acceptable, I will return to being a season ticket holder.

I have been going to the Valley since 1971, went to Selhurst and Upton Park joined the VIP scheme when I couldn't really afford it. Went home and away throughout my teens and early twenty's, introduced my son and daughter who are now 21 and 22. Currently have a season ticket along with my son as we have had for 15 years, attend 7/8 away games a season and have been fortunate enough to even be able pay for some hospitality over recent seasons. But like you I am ready to call it a day and only attend on a match by match basis when I want to until the regime changes. I love Charlton Athletic Football Club but I am not prepared to spend anymore money on this joke of an owner who has no idea about football and its part it plays in so many peoples lives
  • Options
    if I bought on a match by match basis, then personally I doubt I'd ever go....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Please don't renew. Make a sacrifice. You can still go to every game if you want to. But it gives them food for thought. Unite and fight these bastards.
  • Options
    As of today, I won't be renewing. A lot could happen by April, but whether any of it will be good is another matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    EastStand said:

This was the first year I had been able to afford a season ticket.
    I was so excited and proud when it came through the door, my name and my seat number, my Charlton.
    Think I have been to... oh maybe 6 games this season.

Won't be renewing until they are gone.

So sad.
    I've not had a season ticket for a couple of years now. I plan every year to pick and choose a good few.I want my boy to fall in love with the club like I did but I just cannot face it and put him through it.
    By keeping him away my hope is that I'll be able to bring him in the future when the poison has left.
    If I took him now, he may never come back.!
  • Options
    I loathe what is going on with my club at the moment and know that, to truly make a point, I should not be renewing my ST nor that of my two kids but despite the situation, it is going to be tough (for lots of reasons) because coming up with £20-£30 two or three times a month is a bigger bind for me than budgeting £300 once a year. And for that reason, I totally agree with the comments from Elthamaddick and I dare say we are not alone. The crowds next season are going to be pathetic.

Please go Roland!
  • Options
    I had a season ticket for a few years before I had to give it up the year Roland bought us as I went to Uni, thank gawd for that. I would definitely join in with a boycott if I still had one though, can barely find the motivation to go to matches when I'm back during the holidays.
  • Options
    HandG said:

I loathe what is going on with my club at the moment and know that, to truly make a point, I should not be renewing my ST nor that of my two kids but despite the situation, it is going to be tough (for lots of reasons) because coming up with £20-£30 two or three times a month is a bigger bind for me than budgeting £300 once a year. And for that reason, I totally agree with the comments from Elthamaddick and I dare say we are not alone. The crowds next season are going to be pathetic.

Please go Roland!

Stick it in a savings/pre-paid card.. and pick and choose your games, some games will be cheap (they're going to need to lower ticket prices to try get more 'customers' through the gate, and you can also pick where you want to sit each match.

Don't let ease of life/force of habit get in the way of doing a good thing for the club, in boycotting putting serious money into RD's pocket - the less ST's the better.
  • Options
    To be honest, missed last season, but bought 2 for this. I've been to 3 games, my mate, 5.
    No way on earth is this board getting any more poppy off me.
  • Options
    Not renewing until they are gone. Will consider a total boycott. If she's still here when the renewal forms come out, a boycott is the only way Duchatelet will get the message that she's slaughtering his investment.
  • Options
    I'm not renewing either until they go - never thought I would say that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2016
    Made that decision a few weeks ago with my brother not to renew whilst Duchatelet and Meire are in. A season ticket makes it easier to go but will try the game by game, which will seriously reduce the amount of games, we will make. I don't want to give any support to this owner, they have to go. Duchatelet needs to know that he needs to step away, it is not going to get easier for him or any of his network staff at Charlton. My guess is that the club will lose at least 60% of its season ticket holders next season.
  • Options
    vff said:

Made that decision a few weeks ago with my brother not to renew whilst Duchatelet and Meire are in. A season ticket makes it easier to go but will try the game by game, which will seriously reduce the amount of games, we will make. I don't want to give any support to this owner, they have to go. Duchatelet needs to know that he needs to step away, it is not going to get easier for him or any of his network staff at Charlton. My guess is that the club will lose at least 60% of its season ticket holders next season.

I binned my season ticket - through geography and family - a little while back but match-by-match tickets is easy and actually liberating in that I get to sit in different places! Under this mob it's hardly likely to be sold out either
  • Options
    Food boycott has to happen too. From Saturday! Wouldn't it be great if there were no queues at half time? What a strong message that would give.
  • Options
    Ive had my season ticket since we came back home, i wont be renewing.
  • Options

If we do not have a mass boycott of season-ticket renewals that will be disappointing.

The Belgians will think we are all hot air.

Elfsborg I'm one of those fans who feels I can't give up my season ticket. It feels like a betrayal.
    Yet I despise everything RD/KM are doing to my club. Persuade me why I should boycott.....
  • Options
    This is a war. It is about sacrifice.
  • Options

Food boycott has to happen too. From Saturday! Wouldn't it be great if there were no queues at half time? What a strong message that would give.

Hopefully we have all been doing that anyway. Not a penny to the club, from programmes to food to the shop. I might relax that to buy the 2015-16 highlights DVD when it comes out to frighten the kids
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    mogodon said:

Hopefully we have all been doing that anyway. Not a penny to the club, from programmes to food to the shop. I might relax that to buy the 2015-16 highlights DVD when it comes out to frighten the kids
    Might be good if fans could let those not in the know not to buy any food at half time. May be worth a first half song? Maybe they could target the sofa too - asking the fans to show their support by leaving it!