Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What now? Time for a season ticket boycott

Comments

• Options

If we do not have a mass boycott of season-ticket renewals that will be disappointing.

The Belgians will think we are all hot air.

Elfsborg I'm one of those fans who feels I can't give up my season ticket. It feels like a betrayal.
    Yet I despise everything RD/KM are doing to my club. Persuade me why I should boycott.....
    Less chance of seeing me.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

If we do not have a mass boycott of season-ticket renewals that will be disappointing.

Elfsborg I'm one of those fans who feels I can't give up my season ticket. It feels like a betrayal.
    Yet I despise everything RD/KM are doing to my club. Persuade me why I should boycott.....
    I used to think that too. Eventually I came to the conclusion that by giving them my money, I was complicit in what they were doing to the club. It's almost like I was giving them permission. So after nearly 20 years I decided not to renew at the end of last season. I don't regret the decision at all, but it's hard on a Saturday when you know we are at home and you will not be going. But it's a worthy sacrifice in my opinion. Save the money you would normally spend on the ST and use it to travel to some away games instead. That way you can support the team without supporting the regime.
  • Options

mogodon said:

Food boycott has to happen too. From Saturday! Wouldn't it be great if there were no queues at half time? What a strong message that would give.

Hopefully we have all been doing that anyway. Not a penny to the club, from programmes to food to the shop. I might relax that to buy the 2015-16 highlights DVD when it comes out to frighten the kids
    Might be good if fans could let those not in the know not to buy any food at half time. May be worth a first half song? Maybe they could target the sofa too - asking the fans to show their support by leaving it!
    The food outlets in the North Stand were almost deserted at the Forest game. Perhaps part boycott, perhaps because there were relatively few there. I buy food outside beforehand ...
  • Options
    We need to spread the word though - make them even emptier
  • Options

Because it denies them the big chunk of cash up front they would normally get. It makes it harder for them to run the club without putting more money in.

We can still go and pay on a match by match basis.
  • Options
    Life wouldn't feel the same without a season ticket.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Because if you don't you might not have a club to support or, less dramatically, your season ticket by 2019 could be for the Conference
    OK but will it be a mass boycott? Where I sit in the East stand I'm surrounded by people who don't like me standing up 'if you want them out'. They are all season ticket holders but wont boycott. I've been at the protests and wear my black n white scarf but am surrounded by people who don't share my view. If I didn't renew would anyone care?!
  • Options

OK but will it be a mass boycott? Where I sit in the East stand I'm surrounded by people who don't like me standing up 'if you want them out'. They are all season ticket holders but wont boycott. I've been at the protests and wear my black n white scarf but am surrounded by people who don't share my view. If I didn't renew would anyone care?!

One won't, but if one in ten does not renew then it's a massive cash hit. Clubs rely on the lump sum season tickets bring to meet summer and early-season bills, hence the schemes to get people to sign up as early as possible. And it's much harder to budget on pay-on-the-day customers as form/weather is far more of a factor.

Plus if you don't renew then you can leave the hear-no-evil-see-no-evil East Stand apologists behind and sit with people who will share your love of black and white and stand up along with you.

• Options
    Had one since returning to The Valley, I dare say I will next season too but I won't be putting any more of my money into the club
  • Options
    mogodon said:

mogodon said:

Food boycott has to happen too. From Saturday! Wouldn't it be great if there were no queues at half time? What a strong message that would give.

Hopefully we have all been doing that anyway. Not a penny to the club, from programmes to food to the shop. I might relax that to buy the 2015-16 highlights DVD when it comes out to frighten the kids
    Might be good if fans could let those not in the know not to buy any food at half time. May be worth a first half song? Maybe they could target the sofa too - asking the fans to show their support by leaving it!
    The food outlets in the North Stand were almost deserted at the Forest game. Perhaps part boycott, perhaps because there were relatively few there. I buy food outside beforehand ...
    The ones in the East Stand were packed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The food outlets are franchised out to an outside company so doesn't affect the club. I will not be renewing my ST
  • Options
    Of course it affects the club - do you think the company they are franchised out to will be happy? It will give them a big headache.
  • Options

The food outlets are franchised out to an outside company so doesn't affect the club. I will not be renewing my ST

Of course it affects the club. When not enough people are buying food, who's door do you think the caterers will be knocking on? It's about applying pressure.
  • Options
    That spurs cab driver won't boycott. Bit of w@nker though for watching a team he doesn't support, even if he is make believe.
    Meire gives her email out and exchanges messages she likes some tot in her ham.
  • Options
    A season ticket boycott will hit the regime harder and show them we are not turnstile fodder
  • Options
    If people want to renew then ok. You can't sell this idea to someone. I doubt many could convince Seb Lewis. That ledge.

It has to be done on mass though.

If KM is worried and knows it will be a financial plunge etc, she will most likely give out quiet freebies to reduce the visual embarrassment and make it look like it didn't happen, plus more lies.

It will still hurt em but it will look like there's no difference.

Quiet freebies....as RD says, huh?
  • Options
    I hate this regime with a passion for what they are doing and how they're making me feel. I like nothing better on a saturday afternoon, than to turn up & get behind "my team", but I feel they have made it impossible for me to do this.

If we're mere customers (as the witch puts it), then why are we simply not picking an alternative club, such as West ham, Palace, Chelsea etc? Because WE ARE CHARLTON to the bone. She doesn't get this and she never will and it's their arrogance and contempt towards us that hurts more than the heaviest of defeats...............
  • Options
    This may sound a silly idea but refuse to wear the current replace shirt. The current shirt is a symbol of the current regime. Dig out the old Mesh, Redbus Llanera etc shirts (if they still fit!) and wear them as a reminder of the days when Charlton was a well-run club.

And to think, this year I actually bought one and it's been worn once.
  • Options

I hate this regime with a passion for what they are doing and how they're making me feel. I like nothing better on a saturday afternoon, than to turn up & get behind "my team", but I feel they have made it impossible for me to do this.

If we're mere customers (as the witch puts it), then why are we simply not picking an alternative club, such as West ham, Palace, Chelsea etc? Because WE ARE CHARLTON to the bone. She doesn't get this and she never will and it's their arrogance and contempt towards us that hurts more than the heaviest of defeats...............

There will be a day when all this nonsense has blown over and you will be able to say you stuck with Charlton during particularly odd, weird apathetical dark times. Some people may feel guilt for being absent and coming back when all is well again. I know I will feel a bit like that perhaps.

The charlton fans that follow us away on a consistent basis, to shit northern locations, watching this particularly shit charlton team. One day you will get your reward. You are true Addicks.

We could be in the premier league, the championship, even League 1, and you will feel back to normal in your support for your club, at some point, with at least normal enough owners that respects and appreciates it's fans as expected.

The regime won't be around forever, it's just how long.

Keep the faith.
  • Options

mogodon said:

Because if you don't you might not have a club to support or, less dramatically, your season ticket by 2019 could be for the Conference
    Back to being serious.

It now comes to down to a principle of not wanting to be treated badly.

You can go to a few aways and enjoy the delights of Wolverhampton and Blackburn.

You needn't miss all the homes, if people have a spare ticket you'd be then giving money to somebody else and not the Belgians.

Besides, the boycott is temporary, a bit like the Belgians.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Go match-to-match and if things pick-up, renew at half-year :)/ Anyway prepared to give them upfront for another season of drivel is letting the side down and encouraging them to plough on.
  • Options
    No ST for me or my brother next season if RD still owns OUR club (yes I'm weird). The new online ticketing system actually works well, particularly if you can print at home and I'll switch to pay by match.

If we go down, realistically I won't be attending many matches unless there's a big organised protest. Apart from a ST I don't buy anything from the club now and I'm reluctant to bring my grand-daughter again, although she enjoyed her first match this year.

I'll return when RD has gone. For me renewing my ST with RD as owner would undermine the protest and encourage KM etc. to carry on taking the piss.
  • Options
    Lots of little individual boycotts seem to be taking place here, but no one seems to have either the inclination or the ability to turn it into something more widespread, which presumably is vital if it's going to be worth doing.

Personally I can't see me not renewing unless there's a better reason not to than "it'll hurt them financially if you don't" , because it won't. RD is worth £418m (Jan 2014 est) and can sustain the loss of a few hundred £300 season tickets very, very easily for the rest of his days. Even if he lost half the season ticket base that would be (£300 x 5,000) or £1.5m or roughly 0.3% of his fortune. I don't think he'll be losing sleep.

Absolutely don't renew due to your own moral position, I get the feeling of not wanting to give any more of your money to these people but don't call it a boycott - that requires a degree of organisation and execution that we haven't seen yet and if it's going to happen people need to get working on it now, because they'll release the renewal forms in a couple of months.
  • Options
    Sadly, I am almost at this stage for all my 4 STs.

I stopped buying anything from the club. No merch from the shop, no food, no drink, no beer, and no programme. Only my VG and STs left, and like I said, they are in the balance.

I normally renew as soon as I can. But not now. If I renew (and it is with a heavy heart i'm even contemplating not to), it will be at the last minute.

I agree that any boycott of ST renewals does need to be co-ordinated, and from reading between the lines on the protest/boycott threads, I get the feeling that something is being addressed. No idea what though, and I too wait with baited breath.
  • Options
    I will be renewing regardless, it's the cheapest way of seeing every home game and I will always go to every home game i possibly can, no matter the owner, players, division, weather, engineering works, price of chips or form of the team.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    se9addick said:

Lots of little individual boycotts seem to be taking place here, but no one seems to have either the inclination or the ability to turn it into something more widespread, which presumably is vital if it's going to be worth doing.

Personally I can't see me not renewing unless there's a better reason not to than "it'll hurt them financially if you don't" , because it won't. RD is worth £418m (Jan 2014 est) and can sustain the loss of a few hundred £300 season tickets very, very easily for the rest of his days. Even if he lost half the season ticket base that would be (£300 x 5,000) or £1.5m or roughly 0.3% of his fortune. I don't think he'll be losing sleep.

Absolutely don't renew due to your own moral position, I get the feeling of not wanting to give any more of your money to these people but don't call it a boycott - that requires a degree of organisation and execution that we haven't seen yet and if it's going to happen people need to get working on it now, because they'll release the renewal forms in a couple of months.

What do you want, pledges written in blood?

Whether or not people renew is a personal decision for them. If nothing changes I shan't be renewing, but that's my own choice.

I can't help thinking those who are shouting SEASON TICKET BOYCOTT the loudest are doing it as a proxy for doing something more constructive to lever the weirdo and the liar out.

Unless they actually make a boycott something solid (gather a list of names for an open letter that can be used in an advert/poster, perhaps) it's always going to be a personal choice - but those screaming BOYCOTT need to make the first move and not wait for others.

(edit: we seem to agree on more than we disagree on, having re-read your post, so please accept this as something aimed at the wider BOYCOTT crowd)
  • Options
    Well I'm out, no renewal for me while these lot run a footballing despot. Odd away game, and a trip to Ebbsfleet now and then.
  • Options
    This might help the boycott crowd put something together http://www.pledgebank.com/faq
  • Options

This might help the boycott crowd put something together http://www.pledgebank.com/faq

It doesn't necessarily have to be that overt. The club will ring. round when they notice a huge drop off in early renewals and people can outline their reasons for not renewing.

The board would have to be pretty dense even by their standards to not get the message particularly if our team of Indian Premier League superstars and children manage to keep us up.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I will be renewing regardless, it's the cheapest way of seeing every home game and I will always go to every home game i possibly can, no matter the owner, players, division, weather, engineering works, price of chips or form of the team.

I think I'm still in this category, as much as I despise the owners etc, I've had a ST for 37 years now and can't see me not renewing.